Check Engine Light Came On While Slamming On Gas Pedal

Moony400

Hello All,

Yesterday, I floored the gas pedal to speed up onto the freeway ramp and my check engine came on. It stayed on all the way home. I turned off the engine and waited a little bit and start the engine and it's still on. I then reset the ECM by disconnecting the negative battery terminal. Waited for about half an hour and put it back. Start the engine and no more check engine light. Drove to work this morning and no check engine came on. Now I'm scared to even push on the gas pedal hard fearing the check engine light might come back on. Any thoughts or idea?

Here is what I have done recently:

ground repair by lexus

replace MAF sensor

replace 02 sensor left side

BFI

Thanks MoonSC400

i had that happen, it showed the code for the O2 sensor on one of the banks of the motor. didnt bother with it and while floring it a few days later, the light went away. i dont think it will hinder performance. if the light comes back on read the code its most likely the o2 sensor. and if it bugs you that you need to reset the ecu then change the o2 sensor.

Don't be affraid to floor it, it's only a tiny light, the engine won't blow I promise.... If the light continues to go on run a check test on it. Most likely it is a bad sensor or connection....I would venture to say as long as your oil light, and radiator lights don't come on you shouldn't even worry about it. If you notice that car runs any different or idling poorly when stoppend then you may have a problem with the check engine light on....

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said it could be a faulty sensor read, if the car runs perfect then I would forget about. Check all your fluids to make sure they are full..Oil, etc... I have had to remove the check engine light bulb on a couple of these SC's in the past because of bad reads.... Good luck, if you feel a problem while driving then just run a diagnostic check at a local import auto repair shop. They will plug in the computer and if they have the right program can run a diagnostic check to see what the problem is.. There is a plug in check point located on the top of the engine....