Groaning Noise At Stoplight

atm_core

Hello everyone, I'm having a new issue and I'd like some advice.

The Stats:

2002 LX470 with 50K miles.

The Issue:

When the LX470 is in D and at a complete stop, there is a groaning noise coming from (what sounds like) the steering column. Moving the steering wheel does not make the sound louder or softer, it is constant.

While stopped in D, if If I put the car in N the noise goes away. Perhaps it has to do with the higher RPM in N than in D?

Any ideas what could be making this noise?

A Lexus tech claimed that this was normal, but I checked with a few friends and they don't have this issue.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I'm having a new issue and I'd like some advice.

The Stats:

2002 LX470 with 50K miles.

The Issue:

When the LX470 is in D and at a complete stop, there is a groaning noise coming from (what sounds like) the steering column. Moving the steering wheel does not make the sound louder or softer, it is constant.

While stopped in D, if If I put the car in N the noise goes away. Perhaps it has to do with the higher RPM in N than in D?

Any ideas what could be making this noise?

A Lexus tech claimed that this was normal, but I checked with a few friends and they don't have this issue.

My Dealer reported that a customer had the same problem after a major service - turned out to be the young apprentice who worked on the car had fallen asleep in the footwell while changing fuses and he had become stuck in the cramped area. Once the dealer and the staff got him out he spent a day off sick and was back at work the next day all the more wiser. Just do a quick check for with a torch for this problem on yours. :whistles: