Funny Noise On Cold Startup

jrowe

When my 96 ES300 has been sitting long enough for the engine to get cold (usually over night), it makes a funny noise when I first start it up. The noise usually does not last for more than a second, but it varies. It's definitely coming from under the hood somewhere. It difficult to describe but is it is kinda loud, sort of high pitched, and sounds like, "reeeeeeee". It's not as high pitched as a squeaky, slipping belt. It's probably a little lower in pitch than when you grind the starter, but it is not as loud as that either. If the engine is warm when started, the noise is not there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

When my 96 ES300 has been sitting long enough for the engine to get cold (usually over night), it makes a funny noise when I first start it up. The noise usually does not last for more than a second, but it varies. It's definitely coming from under the hood somewhere. It difficult to describe but is it is kinda loud, sort of high pitched, and sounds like, "reeeeeeee". It's not as high pitched as a squeaky, slipping belt. It's probably a little lower in pitch than when you grind the starter, but it is not as loud as that either. If the engine is warm when started, the noise is not there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I also have heard that noise on mine when I cold start sometimes. Only when the temp is <40 or so. IMO I don't believe it's a sign of concern.

Ditto

Reeeeee-thud

Reeeeee-click

Same thing. Started pinion, or flywheel/flexplate ring teeth are wearing out & not engauging all the time.

Toysrme, does the noise you're talking about happen before or after startup? Mine happens right after startup.

Is there a fix? Replace the starter? Is something about to go out on me? If so, what? And what propblems will it cause?

Ditto

Reeeeee-thud

Reeeeee-click

Same thing. Started pinion, or flywheel/flexplate ring teeth are wearing out & not engauging all the time.

Toysrme, does the noise you're talking about happen before or after startup? Mine happens right after startup.

Is there a fix? Replace the starter? Is something about to go out on me? If so, what? And what propblems will it cause?

Oh, mine happens when cranking. It sounds like a rivet drill or something.

Replace the starter or else the grinding and screeching will ruin the teeth on the flywheel ring gear resulting in a monumental expense that involves transmission removal.

The flywheel teeth don't wear out if the owner replaces the starter at the first sign of grinding / screeching.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I also have heard that noise on mine when I cold start sometimes. Only when the temp is <40 or so. IMO I don't believe it's a sign of concern.

My '93 ES300 does this too. My previous '92 also did it. Only when very cold, the colder it is the more pronounced. Only lasts for a second or 2 (a bit longer when colder), and increases in pitch as the engine revs on startup. Never does it when "warm" (above -10 C or so).

I don't think it's anything to do with the starter.

I always wondered if it was something like the timing belt tensioner. A little vibration caused by wear in the bearing, perhaps? It goes away when the tensioner pulley has spun around enough to warm itself up a little and is no longer deep-frozen. Just a theory - I don't really know for sure.

Mine has done this for years with no long term problem (same with my previous '92), so I don't think you have to worry about anything going "bang" anytime soon. It's a very intermittent thing that only happens under certain conditions. I stopped worrying about mine years ago.

You "southerners" in warmer climates will probably never hear this sound.

tck...

Yeah, I agree with tckcumming. I really don't think it's the starter either, since the noise occurs after the engine starts rather than during cranking. Hopefully it won't cause any problems, but it just sounds funny and it would be nice to get rid of it.

It probably has to do with the tension of the serpentine belt. The belt part is temperature sensitive for some reason, and I have the same problem with my '01 ES. Occasionally I have sprayed WD-40 to the belt, and the noise stopped, but of course that's just a temporary fix. I'll have to find some time to order the belt and get it replaced, but as others have mentioned, this won't harm your car in the long run, nor will it affect your starter.