Looking To Buy Rx300

dbgar13

I am looking at a 2002 rx300. It has 44,000 miles and looks clean. 1 owner. I have a few reservations after reading about tranny issues. It's not c.p.o. Volkswagen dealer but maybe they will extend warranty. Theyre asking 24,000. Hoping to haggle to 22,000. Like I said aside from tranny, the cpu screen that controls radio, air, looks like an expensive fix if it goes. Like the ride very much and quality. Currently own 2000 Tundra(love it, but don't need truck). Always been Toyota fan. Had a 1995 4runner. Loved it, but it rusted away on me. I really like this rx. Any thoughts?

I don't want to deal with the price issue. But I own a '99 AWD with 115K, which is basically the PRIME CANDIDATE for a bad tranny. I just do everything I can to take it easy on the tranny, no rolling reverse-to-drive gear changes, no sports car driving. There are ZERO early indicators that my transmission is failing -- trust me, I keep a paranoid like watch for them. Plus, I think the tranny issues (the ones that existed) of those issues were gone by 2002. Am I wrong?

From what I read, the vast majority of these vehicles were fine and will be fine. I'm sure some will disagree, but I've been reading posts here and all over for a while. I even purchased the vehicle with the knowledge that a few '99 transmissions have been bad. I think I even test drove one that looking back and comparing it to mine, something was big time wrong. The issue exists, but it's something I'm at least willing to gamble on because the positives of the vehicle are just so good.

When you speak of repairs, many things can be done yourself. I've replaced things like the washer fluid pump, antenna mast, installed a trailer wiring brain -- each time saving hundreds in labor costs. With a website like this, it makes it so much easier to do those repairs. It's really an invaluable resource.

Most people won't believe me that my car has 115K til I show them the odometer -- I bought it at 90K! Interior and exterior is still holding up fine. This car your discussing has a fraction of the mileage, so you know you're in for a nice long life.

I agree, the RX is a very nice car to drive, and if you maintain it it can be a nice ride. The tranny is the only major problem that lurks on my mind everyday. I am on number three transmission, and guess I had the bad luck, even after changing the fluid every 30k. Now I change it every 15k or sooner. Anyway good luck, and get the price down as low as possible.

Not too sure about the price (check your zip on kbb.com) but i do know you will be happy with the rx300!

I have owned 3 rx300's, and experienced the transmission failure once on my 99 AWD. I sold my second rx300 as it was starting to show signs of the failure. I never replaced the fluid, and didn't exactly treat it well. I'm sure if you check the fluid every once and a while (make sure it's pink/red) and baby the car, it will be fine.

Is your rx300 the all wheel drive or front wheel drive? The AWD's seem to have more transmission problems than the FWD's.

For the LCD screen in the dashboard, there haven't been any well known problems of it failing; actually i have NEVER heard of any problems with it. The rx300 has had that blue screen since 99; if it was a bad design, we'd know by now. It changed from 2000 to 2001, but i think only the plastic cover was changed to prevent as much glare.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if you'll even see this since your discussion was about a month ago.......but I just joined the forum and came across this post so I had to respond.

I too own a 99 RX 300 and I've got 158K on mine!! I've had no issues, other than normal wear and tear items.

I dont know after buying my daughters Sequouia, I would go that route, I too own a 1999 RX300 AWD. The Sequouia is really nice.

• 1 year later...

So, what are the symptoms of a 'dying tranny' in the RX300? I'm looking at picking up a used on in my area... a 2000 AWD. I'm planning on test driving it this weekend. So is a sign of failure slippage? Or hesitation upon shifting? Shifting hard?

Anything else to look for other than the usual?

Thanks in advance!