Nakamichi 12 Disk Changer Not Loading

I'm new to this forum and own a 92 SC400. I have a problem with the 12 disk Nakamichi changer accepting the magazine and loading the cd's. I shut the changer door to start the loading of the cd's and it doesn't do anything. I do have radio and everything else. It isn't on its own fuse is it? I doubt it but thats why I'm asking here. Yes I am sticking it in the right way. Any suggestions or leads would be great.

Thanks

I'm new to this forum and own a 92 SC400. I have a problem with the 12 disk Nakamichi changer accepting the magazine and loading the cd's. I shut the changer door to start the loading of the cd's and it doesn't do anything. I do have radio and everything else. It isn't on its own fuse is it? I doubt it but thats why I'm asking here. Yes I am sticking it in the right way. Any suggestions or leads would be great.

Thanks

It's not a nakamichi changer, It is a Fujitsu made for nak. They are junk to begin with, The worst changer lexus ever put in there cars. Get yourself a 92-96 es300 6 disc changer, It is plug and play all you have to do is make a mounting bracket. It doesn't pay to repair your current changer if it is shot. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

I read at a different Lexus forum that an ES300, trunk mounted cd-changer is plug compatible for my NAK system.

I found one at a local mom & pop salvage yard and took my sc400 out there and tried the ES300 unit. It is plug compatible and works perfectly. My car is a 1992 SC400. The ES300 unit has to be a pre-1997 unit. This cd changer is only a 6 cd unit, but that is OK with me. The NAK head unit recognises it and works well. The only problem is how to mount it in the trunk. My buddy, a mechanic, used the original brackets (He bent them artound) and mounted the 6 cd-changer sideways.

I am very pleased with this solution. The word is that the ES300 cd-changer is much better designed than the original 12 cd Nak system

It has now been in my car for nearly a year and is working great. I would look on EBAY for a 1993 - 1996 ES300 - 6-cd changer. Mine was $150.00 and was the best $150.00 that I have ever spent.

TexasComputerMan (Arlington, Texas)

post-17060-1139521652_thumb.jpg

I read at a different Lexus forum that an ES300, trunk mounted cd-changer is plug compatible for my NAK system.

I found one at a local mom & pop salvage yard and took my sc400 out there and tried the ES300 unit. It is plug compatible and works perfectly. My car is a 1992 SC400. The ES300 unit has to be a pre-1997 unit. This cd changer is only a 6 cd unit, but that is OK with me. The NAK head unit recognises it and works well. The only problem is how to mount it in the trunk. My buddy, a mechanic, used the original brackets (He bent them artound) and mounted the 6 cd-changer sideways.

I am very pleased with this solution. The word is that the ES300 cd-changer is much better designed than the original 12 cd Nak system

It has now been in my car for nearly a year and is working great. I would look on EBAY for a 1993 - 1996 ES300 - 6-cd changer. Mine was $150.00 and was the best $150.00 that I have ever spent.

TexasComputerMan (Arlington, Texas)

That is what i said :wacko: And it is a 92-96 changer that works. Your best bet is to get the 96 that was put in the later models. The earlier ones are good but the late 96 changers are the best.

About your 12-disk changer ... I posted here some time ago a procedure for cleaning the rollers on the 12-disk changer that solved the problems I was getting. It's not a guarantee that you are having the same problem, but it's worth a try, I suppose. Just search on my name/

My symptoms were a display that would read "ERROR" or "OPEN", and the disk would sometimes be stuck half-in and half-out of the magazine.

Luck,

Sluggo

The bottom roller is passive - it's not driven by a motor. If a CD gets pulled in it gets pulled in by the top roller and the bottom roller just freewheels. If your bottom roller is not turning then you've got a stuck roller or it's so worn that there's no "pinch" (they're called pinch rollers).

• 9 months later...

Thanks

It's not a nakamichi changer, It is a Fujitsu made for nak. They are junk to begin with, The worst changer lexus ever put in there cars. Get yourself a 92-96 es300 6 disc changer, It is plug and play all you have to do is make a mounting bracket. It doesn't pay to repair your current changer if it is shot. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

GET AN IPOD NANO and dump the 12 CD changer all together...The Ipod or MP4 players hold 1000 songs and can connect directly to your Nakamichi stereo...That is what I did and I do not miss the changer system at all....Belkin transmitter is what I use to connect to the stock system...Try it, todays technology is far superior from 10-15 years ago....Just a suggestion...Ebay Ipod nano's are like $100.....

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the 12 CD changer (sc400). I thought it nice to try and stay with stock. I also love the sound of it...almost.

I had two problems, first, the thing skipped like crazy and if it was a bit cold forget it :wacko: Second, I found the base response poor from the cd yet great from the radio???? I thought I would take it apart and clean the lazer.....this worked very well. There was a very fine coating of dust on it. Now no more skipping, well maybe if I jumped a bridge or something.. :)

I tried adjusting the six pots, one at a time, carefully with it apart in the trunk to try and boost the base reponse. Uhmm these are very sensative and one must be carefull. Well if I adjusted some too far they would send the player into "err" or "open". I would restart the CD and re-adjust and got it back. After !Removed! around for a long time I did nothing for the base :( I assume the adjustments are for speed etc. I also noticed a small reset button inside where the cartrage goes and reset the unit each time the power was off.....not really sure what it did axactly.

So far the coldest has been about 12 deg F and it worked fine and plays computer burnt CDs as well :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

I posted on my changer not loading and the fix a couple months ago -

Mine would not load (just an annoying cluncking sound, the light would flash on the changer, the magazine would not go down in the unit.

The disk extractor/loader arm had jammed.

I unjammed the arm, hit the reset/magazine loaded sensor a couple of times and she dropped down like she was supposed to after closing the cover. I let it cycle a couple of time/ hit the reset once more and she works perfectly now. (Skips more than I like but not that bad)

Dealership had quoted something like $600 for the 10 minute fix.

I since have taken it apart to blow it out/clean rollers, etc and it works but is over engineered in my humble opinion.

• 3 months later...

Hello.. Just bought my car on monday (4/9/07)... I believe it was a pretty good find, a 92 SC400 with only 87k on it.. I'm the 5th owner after the prev. owner was a middle aged woman who in turn bought it at 67k as a Pre-Certified by lex... pretty confident it wasn't beat on too bad....the power steering was a little loud and the stereo didn't work...

I've heard of the PS probs. I topped the PS fluid off with dexron 4 and it's been silent so far, just hope it stays...

And after trying to replace the "dead" stereo unit it was found that it was just a blown fuze... I popped 2 CD's in the changer and everything worked fine... (well a blown passenger door speaker but ok.. tunes at least huh?)

Well I take the magazine out, pop 3 more disks in and put it back in, but no loading sounds.. I sit in the car and get no response from the CDcmp button at all...

I could deal with the fact if the CD changer just didn't work at all.... after 15 years things go out.. I understand..

But it's TEARING ME APART that I just stuck 2 crappy CD's in there just to see if it worked and Jackpot!... but now, not even a good road jam logged, and it's giving me no respose... the eject light is constantly lit, but that's about it...

To get to the point after all this.. .I'm a little hesitant to be cleaning parts I can hardly see... can anyone post or link to pics that point out exactly what arms need to be cleaned... and even more-so how you get the thing off in the first place....

Help a noob.... it still works.. just needs tinkering I think

When I bought my car, the guy had an archaic way of " hit the button, open the door to the changer. Do this twice then insert the magazine" Anyway, I loaded all twelve disks and some do load some don't. I also have bad skipps. A guy at work said that they make gel pillows that you can buy at the stereo store to help in this area. Also, occasionally the volume will just absolutly blare at the start of a song causing me to turn the volume down. After a few seconds I then start loosing my bass and the volume deteriorates to were I then need to crank the volume back up. I originally thought that the was the amp going out but the radio seems to work OK.

How do you hook up that IPOD? I do think thats the way to go.

• 1 month later...
Will the 6-disk ES player work with the stock SC Pioneer sound system or just the Nakamichi??

I've got my ES cd changer hooked up to the pioneer sound system, so it should work.

• 6 months later...
About your 12-disk changer ... I posted here some time ago a procedure for cleaning the rollers on the 12-disk changer that solved the problems I was getting. It's not a guarantee that you are having the same problem, but it's worth a try, I suppose. Just search on my name/

My symptoms were a display that would read "ERROR" or "OPEN", and the disk would sometimes be stuck half-in and half-out of the magazine.

Luck,

Sluggo

I situation w/ the stupid cd changer is exactly as u described. Clicking, light (eject button flickering), etc., whenever I tried to close the cap to the changer. So now, I just leave it open. But my problem now is that the magazine is stuck. I can't budge it. What can I do to take it out and start cleaning the changer, magazine, roller, as recommended by you? thx

Howat

• 2 weeks later...

So, on Thursday night I removed the CD changer out of the trunk. Took the unit back to my apt, spend bout 2 hrs taking it apart than putting it back together. Installed it again on Friday and still did not work. Decided to go to the local Best Buy and bought a in dash CD player/ radio unit. These guys at Best Buy was simply amazing. They knew everything that ought to be done for a successful installation. After some dough (over $300 - radio and service) and time 2-3 hrs (very labor intensive job) the final result is that I'm able to listen to content out of my car!

Should of done this a month ago.