Low Radiator Fluid Light

akewlguy

Well I had my radiator drained. Since then I drove about 200 miles and there has been an intermittent light. Driving me crazy!!! I added a bit to get to top marker. From here light was out for a day then I drove 20 miles then parked. After 9 hours I started car up and light came on.

Not sure if others have indicator problem?

Sometimes it takes a couple of drives for the air to exit the system, resulting in a low coolant level in the reservoir, and thereby causing your radiator light to go on. You may need to just add some coolant after the car cools down the first couple of times.

The mechanic probably didn't follow factory procedures for refilling the cooling system so there's probably some air trapped in the system. Hopefully the system will purge itself of this air. I hope you've been keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and noting whether or not the reading is higher than it used to be. It might be reading higher because the radiator might not be completely full.

I, too, have the radiator indicator light come on, but only when the engine's cold (after each start up) and it stays on for about 1-2 minutes. I was wondering if this is normal or not. That was one of my concerns when I first purchased my 91 LS400 3 weeks ago. It does go off and doesn't come back on until the next cold start up. I'm assuming it has to do with the cold weather because I hadn't had the chance to start the car in weather above 45 degrees.

Anyone know if this is normal?

I, too, have the radiator indicator light come on, but only when the engine's cold (after each start up) and it stays on for about 1-2 minutes. I was wondering if this is normal or not. That was one of my concerns when I first purchased my 91 LS400 3 weeks ago. It does go off and doesn't come back on until the next cold start up. I'm assuming it has to do with the cold weather because I hadn't had the chance to start the car in weather above 45 degrees.

Anyone know if this is normal?

I do own a 98, but as far I am concerned this is not normal. Your coolant is low, simply put. Just add some coolant to the reservoir. Is better to have that fluid above maximum, because if so it will just drain out; on the contrary to Trany fluid or steering fluid, those fluids are hydraulic fluids and if you overfill the system it will cause leaks due to the excessive pressure they make due to the overfilling.

C. PR

Kewl, you're not leaking any coolant are you? You don't see any sitting on the top of the plastic under engine cover do you? The reason I say this is because I've been chasing around coolant leaks lately due to pulling off hoses here and there. I've found that these hoses over the years sort of develop a "memory" of their seating, and when you disturb that memory by removing them, they sometimes leak. I just went through this when cleaning the throttle body. I bumped "tugged" on a hose, removed it, then reinstalled it, and it started to leak a little. The dealership put on a new clamp on the old hose, and it fixed it. $1.50 part.

But, are you leaking?