Should I Buy?

tc5953

So i am new to lexus i have owned audi's and alot of other vehicles and i have a question

I found a 1994 es 300 with every option and only 98,000 origional miles for $7600 in perfect condition it was owned by an old lady who bought the car new (so she is the only owner) and has never been in a wreck it has the v6 3000 engine (i don't know if there was another engine) anyways my question is, does this sound like a good deal and is this model lexus known for any problems? i dont know much about lexus cause i have never owned one! i need input because someone else wants the car so i have to buy it if i am going to...

one other question does this motor have a timing chain or belt? and when is it supposed to be changed?

thanks a ton for any input it is much appreciated!!

So i am new to lexus i have owned audi's and alot of other vehicles and i have a question

I found a 1994 es 300 with every option and only 98,000 origional miles for $7600 in perfect condition it was owned by an old lady who bought the car new (so she is the only owner) and has never been in a wreck it has the v6 3000 engine (i don't know if there was another engine) anyways my question is, does this sound like a good deal and is this model lexus known for any problems? i dont know much about lexus cause i have never owned one! i need input because someone else wants the car so i have to buy it if i am going to...

one other question does this motor have a timing chain or belt? and when is it supposed to be changed?

Welcome to the club tc!

The only engine starting from 1992 - 2003 was a 3.0L V6 engine & that would have a timing belt....not chain. Does the previous owner have all service records for the car & was the timing belt changed? I beleive the belt is due to be changed at 90k.

Generally speaking Lexus are very reliable vehicles if they were maintained correctly & not abused. Best advice is to do a search on here to see of any specific problems that relate to the 94 model year & I'm sure others will post who own, owned or have more knowledge of that year (I own a 2001 personally). Good Luck with your purchase......sounds like a nice ride. B)

:cheers:

Welcome to the club tc!

The only engine starting from 1992 - 2003 was a 3.0L V6 engine & that would have a timing belt....not chain. Does the previous owner have all service records for the car & was the timing belt changed? I beleive the belt is due to be changed at 90k.

Generally speaking Lexus are very reliable vehicles if they were maintained correctly & not abused. Best advice is to do a search on here to see of any specific problems that relate to the 94 model year & I'm sure others will post who own, owned or have more knowledge of that year (I own a 2001 personally). Good Luck with your purchase......sounds like a nice ride. B)

:cheers:

thanks for the input any other advise is much appreciated too!!

I don’t know much about '94 car values, but I can tell you that I just bought a 1998 ES300 135,000 miles, new timing belt installed at 98,000. The paint is in great shape (a few small dings, but MUCH better than the other cars we looked at with similar specs). The leather inside shows very little wear - even the driver’s seat has no cracks. The carpet is clean with no stains. I paid $6550.00 +tax, etc. I will tell you we spent time looking around, but bought the car w\in a week of starting shopping. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Price is about $2K too high IMHO, but price is always negotiable. (And it depends on where you are)

That's a good car though w/ low mileage for the year. Assuming that it is mechanically sound then you should be able to get another 100K out of it. If you're really interested in the car then take it to a mechanic to start with to see what he says.

If it has all receipts, if it has had the TB changed, if it is in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition and everything works, then @ $6K may not be too bad. If no TB change or if it needs a few minor things then I wouldn't go much more than $5500-$5700.