Going Off-road With The Gx470. Advice?

Reggie

I've been using my GX470 off-road about twice a week. It has accumulated its share of side scratches from branches, and unfortunately a cracked windshield.

If anyone has helpful hints from their experience, please post them.

I'm thinking of switching tires to a more aggressive tread, and I'm also thinking about adding a brush guard and a winch. Anyone done any of this and have recommendations?

Thanks.

Sadly Toyota windishields happen to be the thinnest of them all and are prone to cracking... my first GX had a small crack from a rock on a highway that grew quickly and I had to replace the windshield at a considerable cost (given its not covered by the warranty)... so don't be surprised that Lexus windshields crack easily... Personally I would not go offroading on a GX, maybe an older 4runner...

How did the windshield crack? Torsional stress? Rock?

Regards

I've gone off road in many different SUVs. This is one I wouldn't in. This is the poster car for grocery store SUVs. I would recommend skidplates,brush guards, whatever you can get your hands on for added protection.

"grocery store SUV" Kinda funny to hear that since it won the 4 Wheeler magazine 4wd of the year 2 years in a row.

I think this is a serious 4x4 with exception of undercarriage protection and those low sideboards. That's the reason I purchased it and it will get lots of offroad use. I just hope the windshields hold up ;)

I use my off-road all the time. Watch out for the running boards. I would not worry about a winch, just wheel with a few friends that can pull you out if needed. Make sure you have the right recovery gear. Never use a strap with metal hooks. As long as you take it slow, you should be alright. I prefer not to go mudding, as this thing is a beast to clean afterwards.

TexGX

• 1 month later...

Offroading on a GX? Where is the love? You guys have too much disposable income to do this on a GX! A 4 Runner, sure, but a beautiful GX? Mercy me.

I traded an 04 Land Rover Discovery for my 06 GX470 & it's as off road capable as the LR. Mud season has set in up in Maine already & I had to negotiate quite a muddy road getting in to my place this past saturday.

4 wheel high & low gear was all that was needed. Actually,the low gear on the GX is better than the Disco.

The GX is a terrific vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have at it then. all I'm saying is I'd be looking at more of a workhorse type model if I was to do serious offroading.I've had mine offroad some and it handled fine. If you got the cash to beat the tar out of a $50/k luxury SUV right on.