Need Help On A Used Rx300!

Gr8One1998

I have heard great things about the RX300. My question is, shouid I purchase a used 1999 RX300 with 139000 miles? I currently have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 84000, and it is having some problems. Would it make sense to switch to this RX300 with that many more miles?

If the RX300 you're considering is all-wheel-drive, spend some time on this forum searching the topic "transmission failure". Be aware that a number of us here believe that the all-wheel-drive transmission is the absolute weakest link in the RX300 series. This is primarily because our AWD transmissions have failed and have had to be replaced even with proper care and cautious driving habits. Our original transmission died at about 48,000 miles and was replaced under warranty.

But unless you can obtain the true and accurate maintenance history of the particular vehicle you're looking at, I would not even consider purchasing it (and that goes for any make or model with that many miles on the odometer). No telling what type of abuse or neglect it has suffered from previous owners. I would especially be concerned with what fluids might have been poured into the transmission case.

My daughter has a 2000 Grand Cherokee with about 79,000 miles on it and it's been a great vehicle. The only out-of-the-ordinary failure she's experienced with it was having to put a new crankcase position sensor on it last March (about $150 if I remember correctly). I maintain it for her and it's really been a piece of cake. We've had two previous Grand Cherokees in our household, both of which exceeded 130,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance (and one rebuilt alternator).

Be wary of that RX unless you can obtain the service history. Good luck to you.

I have heard great things about the RX300. My question is, shouid I purchase a used 1999 RX300 with 139000 miles? I currently have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 84000, and it is having some problems. Would it make sense to switch to this RX300 with that many more miles?

Also make sure to check the transmission fluid before buy make any moves. If it's dark, the transmission is on it's way out.

Good luck!

If the RX you're looking at is still on the original transmission then its probably been maintained well or at least isn''t one of the ones w/ bad transmissions. The trans failures peorterd here uaually occurred much earlier in the trans life. I'd certainly agree that getting the maintenace history is a great idea if you can. I personally know a few people who have roughly the same mileage on 99 RX AWD's and so far they have had no problems. I've got 90k on a 00 RX AWD and (knock wood) I've had only one minor problem (relating to the driver side door lock) and I check but dont replace the trans fluid on a regular basis, only every 30k or so.

In general terms 99 is still too young for there to be a lot of really high milage examples of RXs ot there but judging by other lexus models the one you're looking at should have a fair amount let in it. I empathize with you're desire to get rid of a problem vehicle. I had a 97 Dodge truck that gave consistent trouble and I decided to get rid of it with only 80 k on the clock just to recoup some money from of it. Once you hit 100k on a vehicle (especially a domestic one) its loses much of its value. How much might you get the RX for, that would really determine if its a worthwhile deal or not.

How much might you get the RX for, that would really determine if its a worthwhile deal or not.

I could get it for about $11,000. It is a 2WD model; did that model have transmission problems or was it only the AWD model? Other than transmission, is there anything else I should be especially worried about?

How much might you get the RX for, that would really determine if its a worthwhile deal or not.

I could get it for about $11,000. It is a 2WD model; did that model have transmission problems or was it only the AWD model? Other than transmission, is there anything else I should be especially worried about?

Ohhhhhhhh...if it's 2WD you shouldn't have any problems. I have only heard of a few 2WD rx300's that had the tranny problem.

Go for it!

Ohhhhhhhh...if it's 2WD you shouldn't have any problems. I have only heard of a few 2WD rx300's that had the tranny problem.

Go for it!

call your local Lexus Dealer on dealer history if there nice and smart (potenial customer) they will be glad to do it I've been known to do it for my customers.

:ph34r: Lexus Ninja Guy

That is a lot of miles...a lot. Maybe you should consider finding one with less for a thousand more or something. Just seems like a dangerous move. its been 6 years...thats a lot of time. lol if your under a price restriction, i used to own a rx300 and it is a great car. Just to clarity, not all AWD cars had the transmission problem, i was lucky i guess, but i brought it into the lexus dealership every 5K for a check up, lol. :) personally, i would not go for it, but maybe u like the price. If thats the case, then it is a great car.

• 1 month later...

That is a lot of miles...a lot. Maybe you should consider finding one with less for a thousand more or something. Just seems like a dangerous move. its been 6 years...thats a lot of time. lol if your under a price restriction, i used to own a rx300 and it is a great car. Just to clarity, not all AWD cars had the transmission problem, i was lucky i guess, but i brought it into the lexus dealership every 5K for a check up, lol. :) personally, i would not go for it, but maybe u like the price. If thats the case, then it is a great car.

I'm some-what of a mechanic and i also buy/sell cars on the side... a maintained honda or toyota will go over 300k... my 2 year old tacoma has 175 and has had zero mechanical failures, these are just a toyota, I JUST bought our rx300 2 days ago... it has 155,000 yes, and i bought it... gave 9k for it and it's well worth it, all records at the lexus dealer show everything done on time. I have no quams about it...

people now a days think still that 100,000 miles means a car is worn out when in reality it's hard to find any used car that has under 100k, AND i've seen cars with 40k miles that are abviously worn out, and ones like my RX that look like it has 20k miles when it has 155k... it's all how you take care of it.....

at 11k i'd say your in the ballpark, just find the nicest one that's not been doctor'd up.... and if you are willing to buy one with over 100k you'll save a LOT of$$ more than the maintaince difference you'd experience in my opinion.....

FYI my wife's 96 explorer we bougth 4 yrs ago with 141k, it now has 181k and we've had a total of $500 in repair bills (fuel pump, and IAC) total out of pocket cost with pmts and resale is about $60/month... BEAT THAT..... This new rx she has should be around the same in 4-5 yrs of ownership :)

im more impressed that you kept the 96 exploder going for 141K with so few problems, it was my 99 exploder i purchased new, always maintained well as i use them for work, that drove me to Lexus.

A few years ago, after a family member passed away, i adopted their almost new 2000 Ford Explorer v6. That thing had a million problems! Squeaks and rattles EVERYWHERE. One day i couldn't open the darn hood! something happened with the latch... Alternator went out under the warranty period, but since i had the work done at another shop in an emergency, they wouldn't even "somewhat" rereemburse me! One of the tail light bulbs went out. The engine made this slight whining noise ONLY when it was cold! I'd put it in Park or Neutral, then it would go away! Couldn't locate the problem.

Just had to vent!

I have a 2000 with 87900 miles is it's in the shop now because of the weak transmission that another owner spoke of. Mine was not cover by the warranty... That right ochh. The shop that is doing the repair said this is his 4th RX300 in 3 month ALL pass the warranty cut off of 70,000 miles.

A lot of money to paid for a car when the transmission goes under proper maintenance. I can't afford a new car or I would be done.

I ahd a Ponitac Grandam and did not have to replace that transmission until I have 200,00 miles.