Brake Issues

Although I've owned the car since June I'm now experiencing several issues with the brakes. They had a high pitched sound backing out of the garage down (a hill) the driveway in the morning. The dealer resurfaced the rotors. A month later, same problem and fix. A month later same issue--they installed a "brake kit". Suddenly one morning the car didn't stop until the brakes were applied harder and went several feet beyond where they normally stop. I thought maybe it is ice although I hadn't had problems before in more snow/ice. That afternoon going down a hill at a relatively slow speed (30?) the car accelerated when the brakes were applied. Further down the hill it happened again (speed slower--maybe 20?) and again. These all happened one day on roads I travel to every workday so it wasn't an unusual road. I drove it right to the dealer. They experienced it, too and resurfaced all 4 rotors. What is happening? I can't possibly have the rotors resurfaced every month! I don't know what to think.

How many miles on your 400h? What kind of mpg are you getting? This is just a guess, but this sounds like a problem in the computerized control system possibly applying brakes at the wrong times, like during cruise and not when needed for stopping. Seems like the dealer would check for error codes as part of the diagnosis, though.

For what it's worth,

BarryD, 4500 miles on my 400h with no problems yet :cheers:

i was thinking about your problem as i drove my 400h and this is just a guess from the top of my head, however do you think the regenerative braking is acting up, is it possible to see if it is doing regenerative braking during this event by watching your meter, the brakes do feel different to me when the battery is full and regeneration is minimized. my 2 cents. also do you have another dealer reasonable close to you for a second opinion because it sounds like this dealer really cannot get a solution for you. in addition Lexus has flown in experts to help dealers with no clue, and to make sure repairs that are new to everyone are done correctly. I would get corporate involved, its serious when you cannot trust your brakes.

The car has about 6000 miles on it. There are no dealers nearby, but the district office is. Mileage has never been wonderful on this car--21-23, but I can't say that I help the cause. I generally drive fast, only drive 1-7 miles usually and in the 7 miles 4 are on the highway. I love the power, it handles well, and the batteries are recharged to green most of the time. However, I'm not sure I'm hearing/feeling it when it is regenerating. I've dealt with this dealer for 7years and they have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They are not having this issue with other 400hs.

I even looked into the lemon law. (technically it qualifies) I'm thinking that I'll wait until this problem happens again (at the rate I'm going an incident is bound to occur in a month) and then take it further. I assume they'll contact corporate, too. I'm just a little apprehensive. Everyday I drive it testing out the brakes at the beginning of the trip!

If nobody else is experiencing this, I have to think it is only on my car.

This is exactly what I think!

I have started to feel a real difference between the regenerative braking and the friction braking. When the car was brand new there was an almost imperceptible transition between the two types of braking. Now, at 10,250 miles the transition is almost unsafe. During regenerative braking, the car brakes extremly well, then when the battery gets charged up, the braking will require a significantly harder pedal push to maintain the same braking action.

This change in pedal pressure has occured during a 'normal' stop for traffic. The effect is unnerving, sudden, and without warning. Suddenly I will need to press quite hard on the pedal to keep from crashing into the car in front of me. I'm constantly on my alert for the problem. The dealer didn't find anything wrong during the 10,000 mile checkup, but suggested I bring it in for further diagnostic testing. I'm making an appoint ment to do just that. This will be difficult to diagnose because it happens very infrequently.

i was thinking about your problem as i drove my 400h and this is just a guess from the top of my head, however do you think the regenerative braking is acting up, is it possible to see if it is doing regenerative braking during this event by watching your meter, the brakes do feel different to me when the battery is full and regeneration is minimized. my 2 cents. also do you have another dealer reasonable close to you for a second opinion because it sounds like this dealer really cannot get a solution for you. in addition Lexus has flown in experts to help dealers with no clue, and to make sure repairs that are new to everyone are done correctly. I would get corporate involved, its serious when you cannot trust your brakes.

I have started to feel a real difference between the regenerative braking and the friction braking. When the car was brand new there was an almost imperceptible transition between the two types of braking. Now, at 10,250 miles the transition is almost unsafe. During regenerative braking, the car brakes extremly well, then when the battery gets charged up, the braking will require a significantly harder pedal push to maintain the same braking action.

This change in pedal pressure has occured during a 'normal' stop for traffic. The effect is unnerving, sudden, and without warning. Suddenly I will need to press quite hard on the pedal to keep from crashing into the car in front of me. I'm constantly on my alert for the problem. The dealer didn't find anything wrong during the 10,000 mile checkup, but suggested I bring it in for further diagnostic testing. I'm making an appoint ment to do just that. This will be difficult to diagnose because it happens very infrequently.

My RX400h that has 20,000 miles on it has from the beginning went from regenerative braking to only friction breaking periodically. Mine usually occurs over a hard bump when the ABS or some other computer stops the regeneration until either the car stops or the pedal is released and reapplied. I thougth this was a problem with just my car but got a Rx400h loaner once just to test for this. The loaner also did it. I believe this is normal. The regeneration shuts off not only when battery is fully charged but when there is some upset condition like a bump while braking. It took some getting used to.

Ron

Your replies make me feel like there are more people experiencing something similar. The question is why now If I have traveled the same roads 5 days a week since September, why now? The dealer wants to me to see if the engine is on electric or regular (orange) when it happens. I think Lexus has to come up with an answer for the dealers' service departments. Meanwhile, braking is tricky; especially at low speeds on a hill and over those deadly bumps--would you believe a manhole cover? My most recent experience occurred at 15-20 mph.

I felt it again today. The anomaly is a 'lurch' and then different pedal pressures.

I experienced it during a normal slow down for a stop light.

1. normal pedal pressure for regenerative braking.

2. sudden lurch, it felt as if the brakes were suddenly released 'off'.

3. then a different pedal pressure for friction braking.

We're not looking for the orange when it is braking, but when it lurches after you release the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...