2007 Es

amf1932

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the hood, its for appearances sake. 99% of Lexus owners dont do anything under the hood anyways.

To each their own......but something as simple as boosting the battery or a friends (RX 330's comments) is a pain. I am all for appearance & neat (when the hood is closed that solves the problem) & ideas that 'help'........unfortunately, this hinders.....especially at night. :whistles:

:cheers:

i guess they assume we are the kind of people who call for roadside assistance rather than DIY'ers.

i suppose the stupid black plastic covers are permanently removable?

I hope so! B) Sounds like automakers are running out of ideas with their vehicles.......so they decide to 'cover' things up........I wonder if they have covered things like the brake fluid resivoir & washer fliud tank? :rolleyes:

As for the hood, its for appearances sake. 99% of Lexus owners dont do anything under the hood anyways.

To each their own......but something as simple as boosting the battery or a friends (RX 330's comments) is a pain. I am all for appearance & neat (when the hood is closed that solves the problem) & ideas that 'help'........unfortunately, this hinders.....especially at night. :whistles:

I also seriously doubt that most people who have the resources to purchase one of these vehicles new jump start other people's cars either. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I jump started someone else's car...in fact I don't think I've ever jump started someone else's car.

No wait, I did, 7 years ago.

Anyways, I'm sure there are easily acessable doors around things like the battery, fluid fills, etc.

I doubt this is much of an issue really.

I also seriously doubt that most people who have the resources to purchase one of these vehicles new jump start other people's cars either. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I jump started someone else's car...in fact I don't think I've ever jump started someone else's car.

No wait, I did, 7 years ago.

Anyways, I'm sure there are easily acessable doors around things like the battery, fluid fills, etc.

I doubt this is much of an issue really.

Regardless, (that was just an example....I could probably write a novel about it actually) & I agree overall it's not much of an issue (although if I own one, it's coming off...I would assume the Lexus engineers were smart enough to incorporate that at least)......however, the look of the engine compartment is an eye sore, looks extremely cheap.......just what our vehicles need......more plastic. :rolleyes: They are trying to solve a problem that never existed.......(another example here) I've been apart of these forums for over 2 years & almost 3,300+ posts now (many post in all forums).......never once have I heard a single complaint about the need to cover the engine compartment area for any reason. :whistles:

I think automakers do it partially to increase the time needed to work on the engine. You can't get to the parts until you get through the covers. Sure, it looks sleek and smooth and clean, but you don't think about what that extra little time does to the bill in the service bay.

When I looked at the Audi Allroad, I asked how do the work on the engine? The space under the hood was so confined, the salesman said they have to take tilt the radiator forward and take out most of the front end stuff. I did find that odd.

steviej

I actually think it makes the engine compartment look neater and more expensive.

The LS conpartment has always been mostly under plastic and I've had several people say "wow look how neat and covered everything is, no wonder its so quiet" and things like that. Remember to most people things that look difficult to work on=expensive and high quality.

It has absolutley nothing to do with utility, its to make it look neater and to make people more apt to just let the dealer work on it.

You also have to think about how removed you and most everyone here is from the average demographic that purchases these cars. For the ES he is 56 and has an income of $150,000 per year. On the LS he's 55 and has an average income of $225,000 per year. Do you think that guys gonna care whether the "neat, elegant" engine compartment is easy to work on or not? You think he's going to jumpstart anybody's battery? He's not. He just drives it, fills it with gas, and pays the dealer $120 an hour to service it.

I am done with Lexus ES's, and probably lexus's altogether. As far as the 2007 ES350, to me for some reason looks more like a refresh of the current ES's. The new ES is a improvement over the last generation, but its only good for older generation (40+). As a 20 year college student, i hated the 2005 Lexus ES330 that i got, its fully loaded and still boring to drive. Thankfully it will be be going to my little brother as i will buy a european car. Going 110MPH in this car feels like your still going 40mph. I must say though, the ES is the only affordable car with all the toys :)

If you wanted a sporty car, why would you ever buy an ES?

And I take it the fam' is footing the bill for these things? :rolleyes:

I agree, why would you buy an ES? Why not a SC or a GS or even a IS? I don't understand people who go out and buy a ES and then complain that it is not sporty enough. Everyone knows that an ES is not sporty it's luxury. Sure some people may make them look sporty, but they are still luxury.

hand down from parents...they went with the Lexus GX ....the lexus ES was suppose to replace our 2000 LExus ES as a commuter car. 25k mile in 9months on it, as our 2000 lexus es has 155k now. Ive always heard about Lexus transmission problem but i never thought it would jerk so badly until i drove it. Most people hate the looks on the ES (current one) but for me, i acutally liked it black/black fully loaded (except chrome rims). 6more months and im done with ES's, i wanted to reserve a Lexus IS350 but decided not to when i found out no stick was going to be available (and lexus claims this to be a sporty car)

Shift paddlers on the IS is a joke, tranmission problem is still the same and the only thing the IS350 has is more horsepower which the E92 BMW 335 is going to offer 300+hp in 7months. GS, nice looking car but not my style. SC, worst car lexus has made however the new SC comming soon will be nice.

Comparing apples to aplles, the current ES is boring to drive. The generation before it seemed alot more fun to drive.

Just to add to the new ES and the engine cover .

Most luxury cars do have large covers. I like the look and when sleeping it clean it is much easier to wipe down an engine cover than wash a complete engine.

Also here is something to think about.

When is the last time you opened a Lexus hood and saw an engine light

never , they never made one expecting an owner to look in there for something.

I saw the ES yesterday and it was a very nice improvement which follows in the new L-finesse design which definitely is a winner.

Sorry i can;t tell you more about it but i spent the whole time sitting inside the new LS460 and playing with it to even remember there was another car even the GS450h did not register much with me as i had tunnel vision for the LS only.

When is the last time you opened a Lexus hood and saw an engine light

That wouldn't be a half bad idea actually......at least that feature would be functional. ;)

It has absolutley nothing to do with utility, its to make it look neater and to make people more apt to just let the dealer work on it.

You also have to think about how removed you and most everyone here is from the average demographic that purchases these cars. You think he's going to jumpstart anybody's battery? He's not. He just drives it, fills it with gas, and pays the dealer $120 an hour to service it.

I don't go buy demographics when purchasing my vehicles so that dosen't mean anything to me.

And well if those certain folks that do meet that so called demographic & enjoy spending $120 per hour I say good luck with that.....I'll stick to my independent repair facility at half that labour rate.....as long as the engine cover can be removed is all that concerns me (I'll make shelving out of it). ;)

In the new edition of Lexus Mag, photos of 2007 ES 350, Pg 57. Describes the new features and a "Ultra Luxury Package" what ever that means.

Its always a wonder to me why someone would complain about a car built for quiet, stability, and comfort for passengers and driver. You want sporty - get a sports car and feel every bump, and crash into guard rails at high speeds, and spin out of control because the car is unable to handle the chaotic nuero responses of the human behind the wheel.

As for me- I love my 2004 ES 330, its handling, its comfort and stability. I like it's rock solid stability in torrential downpours, nor does it ever drift off course when pummeled by 50 mph crosswinds on the Delaware Mem Bridge. I especially appreciate the 26-30 mpg, which translates to fewer trips to the gas pump! BUT I would like to see what Lexus would do with a hybrid ES.

My dealer is solid gold, straight as an arrow, clean and capable. At 20,000 miles My Lexus behaves like new. (Pohanka Lexus, Chantilly, VA)

Alan in NoVa

Its always a wonder to me why someone would complain about a car built for quiet, stability, and comfort for passengers and driver. You want sporty - get a sports car and feel every bump, and crash into guard rails at high speeds, and spin out of control because the car is unable to handle the chaotic nuero responses of the human behind the wheel.

As for me- I love my 2004 ES 330, its handling, its comfort and stability. I like it's rock solid stability in torrential downpours, nor does it ever drift off course when pummeled by 50 mph crosswinds on the Delaware Mem Bridge. I especially appreciate the 26-30 mpg, which translates to fewer trips to the gas pump! BUT I would like to see what Lexus would do with a hybrid ES.

Alan in NoVa

And I bet you are one of those people that drive in the carpool lane going 55MPH where the flow of traffic in the fast lane is 80MPH and wonder "why is everyone honking/high beaming me?", here in the bay area. Lexus ES is a joke on handling compared with european cars. Rock solid? European cars get higher crash test ratings, reliability? Well lexus wins this for sure. I get about 17MPG/avg on my ES. If i let someone else drive it at speed limits, they get about 19MPG. Like i said, Lexus (all models) is good for old people. Just because you own a sports/"sporty" car doesnt mean you are going to crash it high speeds when spinning out. I remember one time when my friend was driving is celica (i was in the passenger side), a 50 year old women ran a red light and totaled both the cars. Yes, it was red for awhile too not like it was yellow then turned red. More than 70% of deadly accidents happen on intersection here in califonia.

People do drive sports car for the tracks. No i never see any Lexus Brands other than the older generation SC/GS. Lexus ES was designed for the most luxury toys with the sacrifice of drivetrain and TRANSMISSION. You go to Europe, youll never see a lexus there. Gotta love the autobahn.

As far as me, my Toyota ES330 was a hand down, i didnt buy it at will, and yes i will complain about it since its my opinion.

Eurpoean cars? I've had 2 BMW's an '00-328 and an '01-540. BOTH were the most troublesome cars I've ever owned. Great handling and responsiveness but that's were it ended.

The hardware and switches were junk. EVERY magnetic door lock failed, sun roof mechanism failed, A/C fan control failed, Ignition switch failed, radio volume control failed, side view mirror fell of, rear ball joints failed at 25K, cruise control switch failed, speedometer bezel cracked, steering wheel tilt motor failed, driver side window mechanism failed all during the first 4 years of ownership.

When I complained about all the failures the service rep said "too much plastic"! BTW I was at the dealers so much we were on a first name basis. In my 40 years of cars these two had gave me more trouble than all the American and Japanses cars put together.

What crap when you consider the 328 cost 42 grand and the 540 the better part of 60. They may run all day long on the Autobahn... when their not in the shop fixing all that junk hardware.

Comparing apples to aplles, the current ES is boring to drive. The generation before it seemed alot more fun to drive.

Funny because the ES never appealed to me until the current generation came out. Remember they sell 80K ES' a year and the current generationj handily outsold the previous generation.

And I bet you are one of those people that drive in the carpool lane going 55MPH where the flow of traffic in the fast lane is 80MPH and wonder "why is everyone honking/high beaming me?"

Keep the discussion civil and friendly, only warning.

Lexus ES is a joke on handling compared with european cars.

Well, yeah. For one the car is FWD, and for another the car is geared for comfort with very little emphasis on handling, they have the IS for that. You're comparing apples to oranges. The ES was never designed to take any buyers away from european sports sedans. Thats like complaining about a nose hair trimmer because it makes a lousy pen. Makes no sense.

European cars get higher crash test ratings

Check it out for youself:

ES ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=551

BMW 3 series ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=458

Mercedes C class ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=464

Audi A4 ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=558

As you can see all have great ratings (save the C Class which is average in the side impact), so I don't see how you can say the european competition is safer, since the ES got all goods (the highest rating).

People do drive sports car for the tracks. No i never see any Lexus Brands other than the older generation SC/GS. Lexus ES was designed for the most luxury toys with the sacrifice of drivetrain and TRANSMISSION. You go to Europe, youll never see a lexus there. Gotta love the autobahn.

And again though, why do we care? We're not in europe, and we have no interest in visiting any tracks. I'm 23 and fully enjoy my ES. Its not your kind of car, but that doesn;t mean we're wrong because it is our kind of car.

Your opinion is your opinion, and I suggest you act on it with your parents' wallet. Trying to convince all of us that we're wrong for liking our ES' however is not only a waste of all of our time, but its innapropriate and will start nothing but arguments and flamewars. Just remember, we all worked and sacrificed to be able to purchase our cars. Its easy to complain about something that was given to you. They mean something to us.

I'm not saying that to down you because your parents buy you cars, my parents bought me a car too. When you get out on your own however and buy nice things for yourself it IS different though. You realize everyone who says "it means more when you buy it for yourself" was right.

The topic here is the 2007 ES sedan, any further off topic posts will be removed.

I don't go buy demographics when purchasing my vehicles so that dosen't mean anything to me.

But you have to understand, Lexus doesn't care about your opinion. They care about the opinion of the demographic they are marketing towards, people around 56 years of age with incomes around $150k who will buy the car new. THATS who'se opinion they care about, so you can't fault them for including features that demographic is interested in.

lol, someone who drives an LS makes 200 grand per year? lol funny

Why is that funny?

But you have to understand, Lexus doesn't care about your opinion. They care about the opinion of the demographic they are marketing towards, people around 56 years of age with incomes around $150k who will buy the car new. THATS who'se opinion they care about, so you can't fault them for including features that demographic is interested in.

The feeling is mutual, as long as they make a good looking car that I am intrested in with the features & options I enjoy, with the reliability one expects from Lexus I will be a Lexus customer......a pre-owned Lexus customer. B) I know they don't care about my opnion, again it dosen't mean anything to me. ;)