Love Lexus, Hate The Pricing Hassle.

I wondered if anyone else had gotten Lexus dealers to go down any on the car below msrp. I decided that I am tired and have ordered a 425 HP Dodge Charger Hemi in black. Plus with the extra money I can mod the car some. Anyways, Really have enjoyed the forum and all the great feedback you guys have given!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, all of the dealers around here (SF Bay area) are offering $750 - $1200 off of MSRP just by asking. Not sure if someone can get more out of them, but I should know in a few days. ;)

I wondered if anyone else had gotten Lexus dealers to go down any on the car below msrp. I decided that I am tired and have ordered a 425 HP Dodge Charger Hemi in black. Plus with the extra money I can mod the car some. Anyways, Really have enjoyed the forum and all the great feedback you guys have given!

Well, a fully loaded IS 350 costs about 47,000 or so with g spyder wheels and the works. Now I can get into a fully loaded charger for 42,000 plus they are working me a great trade on my lease. So both of those combined I am going to be about 8,000 ahead after trade and price difference. Plus the charger drives nicely, its fast, has navi and bluetooth, and I can shut off the traction control. I want to drive the car, not the car decide what I am doing. I still like the IS, I just don't think the time is now to purchase a Lexus. Toyota seems a bit to proud right now, and there are plenty of people buying. I hope this is enough info for you to understand what I was saying origionally in my post.

think about your decision in four years when you go to sell the Charger. Careful, don't hit your jaw on the hardwood floor.

I think you will find down the road, the Lexus will maintain a better resale value and the Charger will most likely acrue more maintenance costs (I speak from Dodge/Chrysler experience).

steviej

I appreciate it and I expect there to be costs which is why I am getting the 100k and 7 yr warranty. Also the other thing that I have had a problem with is I am 6'3. Fitting into the lexus is great, but there is NO back seat room which is a real problem if I want to take more than 2 people. I appreciate your feedback and concern. Resale value is not one of the things that I am basing my decision on and I intend to drive this car till the wheels fall off. Hopefully well after 100k!

Resale value is not one of the things that I am basing my decision on and I intend to drive this car till the wheels fall off. Hopefully well after 100k!

Thats precisely why I'd stick to the IS personally.

How are you getting to $47,000 for an IS350?!?

Resale value is not one of the things that I am basing my decision on and I intend to drive this car till the wheels fall off. Hopefully well after 100k!

How are you getting to $47,000 for an IS350?!?

Agreed, highest MSRP price I could get with the top package (Nav & the works!) for the IS 350 came to a total of $41,289...including destination. :huh:

:cheers:

My build was coming to over 47k with nav, lux, sport pack, adaptive cruise, etc. So it was a bit much and there was no negotiation, and I couldnt get a good interest rate through the dealer. 6.0 was about as good as they were offering and I felt after looking and finding lower rates that the dealer should be better equipped to be competitive on that sort of thing. Plus I have a lot of other stuff going on and spending all my time researching something I don't even own yet was getting tiring.

The max price you can get to on the car is $42k with everything, go to www.lexus.com and build it.

No IS costs $47k.

As for the dealer, business is business. Car sales is a very locally driven market, if they can sell the cars locally without offering a discount, why should they offer you one? If you want the deal, make the trip. I've done it. The local dealer is planning you won't do that, and most people who are purchasing a $40k car won't.

As for interest rates, that varies too depending on a lot of things, local market and competition, your credit score, debt to income ratios etc. I don't know why you'd want to finance through the dealer anyways you'll get a much better rate from your bank or credit union. 6% actually isn't bad for a Lexus finance.

What you have to understand is that buying a luxury car is different from buying a Dodge. I know you have an Acura, but I almost bought an Acura and its more similar to buying a Dodge than it is buying a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc. Its somewhat of a "you've got to pay to play" sort of thing and a "if you have to ask its too expensive" sort of thing too. Lexus dealers won't bend over backwards to sell you a car like a Dodge dealer will, no 0% financing, no games. They don't have to do those sorts of things to move product.

Why do you think Lexus dealers charge $250 for an oil change?

Something is worth what people will pay for it, and people will pay different amounts in different areas, hence why distant dealers may be offering deals your local dealer isn't interested in offering. The more distant dealers may be in less affluent areas, they may have more competition, etc. Thats how business works. Its not about being proud, they are proud and have reason to be, but its just business.

A Dodge dealer won't let you walk out the door on price, because he knows he may not be able to move the car within a reasonable amount of time. A Lexus dealer will absolutely let you walk because they know they can move the car to someone who'se less concerned about the pricing. You've just got to remember, there's a reason for that. The Lexus is a much more sought after product. As for the financing, just finance it somewhere else.

All great points and I really do appreciate the time you put into that. And Lexus sales men are very nice, they are not condescending like a lot of other dealers can be, and you are treated well. However, I have decided on what car I am buying, and you are right about lexus letting me walk out the door. However, the srt-8 charger is not exactly being given away and yes it does not have the amenities the lexus may have. But it also has something the lexus doesn't have. American heritage from the 60's and 70's that when muscle cars were big its nice and comforting to be able to get a little of our past back. The other thing is I am 6'3, and the IS simply is not offering enough room to occupants in the backseat. Plus a lot more leg room in front, and I wanted fold down seats in the back so I can put my bike in the car. All little things, but they add up and ultimately I am happy with this choice and am sure that I will come back to lexus as they are a great company. It just won't be this purchase, thats all.

But thanks again, and I will be sure and post some pics of my new ride when I get it if you all are interested.

I'm not trying to dissuede you from that, it wasn't the pricing that made your decision for you, its just what you used to rationalize it. I just wanted to make it clear why the Lexus dealer wouldn't deal with you and the Dodge dealer will.

Those Chargers are bad !Removed!!! Hemi + amazing body style...I'd buy one! B) I'm very tall also and completely understand why you didn't want the Lexus since none of them are really suited for drivers over 6'1 or so (of course you can fit in, but there are much more comfortable cars out there.). I love my LS except for the fact that the seat tracks stop 3" or 4" shorter than were I would like them to be. Sadly, when I get off the hwy, my leg is stiff as a board, and my back is numb. Before too long, I'm either going to modify it or get rid of it for something that has more room.

The max price you can get to on the car is $42k with everything, go to www.lexus.com and build it.

No IS costs $47k.

Luxury Package with 18-in wheels with Additional Options $8,994.00

Luxury Package with 18-in wheels includes Auburn bird's-eye maple interior trim, Perforated leather-trimmed interior, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column, Lexus Memory System for power driver's seat (except lumbar) outside mirrors and steering wheel, Heated and ventilated front seats, Illuminated doorsill scuff plates, Power rear-window sunshade, Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle, Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse, Bi-xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), and 18-in alloy wheels.

Additional Options:

- Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package

- Intuitive Parking Assist

- Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)

- All-weather floor mats

http://www.lexus.com/lexusConfigApp/pub/se...3!471437099

I'm sure there are a few more items that can be added to hit the $47K mark.

The most I can get it to cost is $43500 even with the top luxury package.

Zip code 44224

Base MSRP*

$35,440.00

• Standard Features

Available Packages

$8,994.00

Luxury Package with 18-in wheels with Additional Options

Accessory Options

$0.00

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee†

$590.00

Total MSRP**

$45,024.00

Add the G Spyder wheels and you're pushing the $47,000 mark.

I was just doing a little checking on the Lexus.ca website.......geez, the IS 250 AWD is a tad on the 'portly' side..... tipping the scale at 3,651 lbs! :blink: ouch.....I hope Lexus eventually decides to offer the 3.5L V6 as an option for the AWD model.

:cheers:

All great points and I really do appreciate the time you put into that. And Lexus sales men are very nice, they are not condescending like a lot of other dealers can be, and you are treated well. However, I have decided on what car I am buying, and you are right about lexus letting me walk out the door. However, the srt-8 charger is not exactly being given away and yes it does not have the amenities the lexus may have. But it also has something the lexus doesn't have. American heritage from the 60's and 70's that when muscle cars were big its nice and comforting to be able to get a little of our past back. The other thing is I am 6'3, and the IS simply is not offering enough room to occupants in the backseat. Plus a lot more leg room in front, and I wanted fold down seats in the back so I can put my bike in the car. All little things, but they add up and ultimately I am happy with this choice and am sure that I will come back to lexus as they are a great company. It just won't be this purchase, thats all.

But thanks again, and I will be sure and post some pics of my new ride when I get it if you all are interested.

I agree with you about being 6'3" and no room in the back seat. My wife is the one that drives our IS350 daily and it fits her perfectly. (She's 5'0" tall) I love to drive the thing, but when I'm in it it may as well be a 2 seater, because there's no room at all left in the back. I drive our LS 430 or Porsche Cayenne S daily since they fit me just right. The Cayenne S is as much fun to drive as the IS 350, but the mileage is not quite as good. ;)

I got 2k off MSRP

The most I can get it to cost is $43500 even with the top luxury package.

In Chicago, this is available:

Luxury Package - $8,994.00

Luxury Package with 18-in wheels includes Auburn bird's-eye maple interior trim, Perforated leather-trimmed interior, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column, Lexus Memory System for power driver's seat (except lumbar) outside mirrors and steering wheel, Heated and ventilated front seats, Illuminated doorsill scuff plates, Power rear-window sunshade, Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle, Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse, Bi-xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), and 18-in alloy wheels.

Additional Options:

- Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package

- Intuitive Parking Assist

- Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)

- All weather floor mats