Fm Transmitters

indiasfinest

well now that we have 3 ipods in the house were looking for a goof FM transmitter, i dont know if they are all the same but they range from $10-$100, anybody have and experience with them, i had a cheap one and i got horrible sound quality. Thanks.

PS, if you want cheap ipod stuff, go to axshop.com

I was going to buy one last year for my iPod, but I kept reading and hearing negative things about the wireless transmitters. I borrowed a Belkin one from my brother for a week to see how it sounded and it wasn't that great. I tried my friends iTrip and it was l;ousy as well. My tape deck is broken so I can't even use the iPod in my ride, but I use a tape adaptor in my wife's VW Passat and it sounds better than any transmitter that I have tried. I live in an urban area and it's hard enough finding an open channel.

What I would like to find is an old style FM modulator that you have to hardwire through the antenna port on the radio (like you used to have to use to install a CD changer to a factory head unit). At that point everything would be physically connected eliminating most all of the interference/transmittal problems.

I had a Monster iCarplay or something like that. It sounded like crap, and it's pretty expensive @ $80. I shipped mine back to Apple the day after I got it. I think the cassette adaptor is about as good as it gets. However, I have a friend with a DLO Transpod, and it sounds incredible. I'm going to have to try it in my car the next time I see him. The one downside to the cassette is that it doesn't charge the battery, but it's easily avoidable will a little careful planning.

I had a Monster iCarplay or something like that. It sounded like crap, and it's pretty expensive @ $80. I shipped mine back to Apple the day after I got it. I think the cassette adaptor is about as good as it gets. However, I have a friend with a DLO Transpod, and it sounds incredible. I'm going to have to try it in my car the next time I see him. The one downside to the cassette is that it doesn't charge the battery, but it's easily avoidable will a little careful planning.

do you lose any sound quality with the cassete adapter? i dont think thats an option because my dad wanted to listen to it in the car and he doesnt have a cassete player. hard wiring it to the back of the cd player sounds a little risky and might void the warranty. Anyways, ill keep looking. THanks

do you lose any sound quality with the cassete adapter?

Yes - a little, but not as much as with an FM Transmitter. You will always losse some sound if you have anything but a direct connection.

I know the new 3 has a direct iPod connection (in the glove box I think). I'm suprised your dad's 7 doesn't have one (or at least the option to have one installed. He bought the 7, why 1/2 a$$ it w/ a transmitter or tape adaptor?

hard wiring it to the back of the cd player sounds a little risky and might void the warranty.

It's not actually "hardwired" you un plug your car's antenna cable from the back of the radio and plug it into the FM modularor box. This box has an antenna cable coming out of the other side that plugs into the back of the radio (so no modifications are made to the radio other than swapping antenna cables). Your iPod plugs into the modulator. The modulator intercepts the antenna signal, passes it through, and directly broadcasts the connected device on an unused frequency through the antenna connection of the car's radio. It is similar to the transmitter, but it's all directly wired with no over the air broadcasting involved.

do you lose any sound quality with the cassete adapter?

Yes - a little, but not as much as with an FM Transmitter. You will always losse some sound if you have anything but a direct connection.

I know the new 3 has a direct iPod connection (in the glove box I think). I'm suprised your dad's 7 doesn't have one (or at least the option to have one installed. He bought the 7, why 1/2 a$$ it w/ a transmitter or tape adaptor?

hard wiring it to the back of the cd player sounds a little risky and might void the warranty.

It's not actually "hardwired" you un plug your car's antenna cable from the back of the radio and plug it into the FM modularor box.

where exactly is this "box", because as i said earlier, i dont want to open it up, thanks

this "box" is usually within a couple of feet of the radio - normally hidden up under the dash somewhere. You don't have to open the radio, but you will need to have access to the rear of the radio so you can make the swap of the antenna cords.

Here's what I am talking about:

FM Modulator

If you don't want to open the dash up then this won't work for you.

I found that if I use the iPod with the Dock, and the tape player plugged into the "line out" part of the Dock, along with a iPod car charger plugged into the bottom of the Dock, the sound quality is pretty dang good. Charges the iPod too; it gets a little tangly, but it's manageable.

iPod_Dock-efd674247828994963af94c0ba447184.jpg

I have tried 3 different fm transmitters two stunk and I tossed the Belkin I kept and works perfect. The key is finding a FM station that is blank like for example I use 88.3 FM perfect sound. Been using it for months with two different MP3 players on my Nakamichi Lexus Stereo, no complaints..

PS- don't buy the ones on EBAY they are all crap...