Matching Custom Window Tint To Factory Tint.

RX330_Owner

That could be tough. It also depends on your state laws. Tint on the rears in most states can be darker than the fronts. If that's the case in your state (and you want to remain "legal") then finding a matching tint is irrelevant.

If that's not an issue the you could have he tint shop put a large scrap of tint that is close on one of the windows. stand way back and take a look. If it's not right you should be able to determine if you need to go darker, lighter in shade or more or less reflectivity, etc.

As a last resort you could ask your dealer to do it. You'll probably pay 2x the going rate than you would from an independent shop, but you can raise hell until they get the correct match or don't pay if they can't get it right. Most dealers outsource to local shops anyway. If you can't find a match in one product line (say 3M) than you could try another one at a different shop.

That could be tough. It also depends on your state laws. Tint on the rears in most states can be darker than the fronts. If that's the case in your state (and you want to remain "legal") then finding a matching tint is irrelevant.

If that's not an issue the you could have he tint shop put a large scrap of tint that is close on one of the windows. stand way back and take a look. If it's not right you should be able to determine if you need to go darker, lighter in shade or more or less reflectivity, etc.

As a last resort you could ask your dealer to do it. You'll probably pay 2x the going rate than you would from an independent shop, but you can raise hell until they get the correct match or don't pay if they can't get it right. Most dealers outsource to local shops anyway. If you can't find a match in one product line (say 3M) than you could try another one at a different shop.

20% Llumar High performance Metallic Film...this will likely give you the closest match. i used to be in the industry, and still know people in it.

Thank you for your input. Although 35% is legal in my state, I personally don't care. I just want to tint to match the factory as much as possible. I stopped by a tint shop over the weekend. They put samples of Madico and SunTek 20%. However the tint looked more like grey ( they called it charcoal ), whereas the factory tint looked black. Do I need to specifically look for black tint?

Thank you for your input. Although 35% is legal in my state, I personally don't care. I just want to tint to match the factory as much as possible. I stopped by a tint shop over the weekend. They put samples of Madico and SunTek 20%. However the tint looked more like grey ( they called it charcoal ), whereas the factory tint looked black. Do I need to specifically look for black tint?

I'd just do more of what you did...shop around some more. Different tint shops are going to carry different tints, one of them is bound to carry a close match. ;) I don't think brand is all that important so long as a chimpanzee doesn't install it, and its got a good warranty.

I'd just do more of what you did...shop around some more. Different tint shops are going to carry different tints, one of them is bound to carry a close match. ;) I don't think brand is all that important so long as a chimpanzee doesn't install it, and it's got a good warranty.

Actually, brand makes a huge difference. 3M/Llumar films dont fade or crack over time, and they are easier to apply,yeilding flatter and cleaner installs.

hey army i heard the same thing about 3m, and whenever i've used 3m produst they've always been top notch......sometimes a little too good. but my tint on my 94 LS peeled, cracked and bubbled up. i heard it was becuase of windex. but i know it never came in contact with a bunch of windex, is that normal with 191,000? i was kinda disappointed because i know how good 3m is and that meant when i started stripping it it was gonna be tough.....and it was!!! but hey i figure almost any tint will last the rest of the life of my car anyway, if anyone has some suggestions, shoot em my way

Actually, brand makes a huge difference. 3M/Llumar films dont fade or crack over time, and they are easier to apply,yeilding flatter and cleaner installs.

It's not going to make a bit of difference to me to have 3m tint on my windows especially for what it was going to cost (about $150 more). I have Madico tint on my windows which my tint guy told me isn't the highest quality film on the market, but it is garaunteed for life and is pretty good for it's price. The install is flawless (in fact, you've commented on it before.) and still looks like it did the day he installed it 2 years ago. Not to mention, if a problem ever occurs he will fix it for me, no questions asked.