This Is A Stupid Question I'm Sure...

aahn

I have never seen my rx300's instruction manual and

have been putting premium 93 shell v-power in it.

I put the same kind in my SC430, and i guess assumed

that it would be right.

I get warnings about fuel richness. Once i cleaned the

MAF sensor it took care of that, but maybe the fuel

grade was a contributing factor. so long story short:

what kind of gas do i put in the 00 rx300?

I have never seen my rx300's instruction manual and

have been putting premium 93 shell v-power in it.

I put the same kind in my SC430, and i guess assumed

that it would be right.

I get warnings about fuel richness. Once i cleaned the

MAF sensor it took care of that, but maybe the fuel

grade was a contributing factor. so long story short:

what kind of gas do i put in the 00 rx300?

You can put the low end gas in it if you "want" but putting higher end gas in it can make it run better and get you better gas mileage. It saves the fuel and O2 sensors too??

I have always put mid-grade gas in the rx300. it seems fine to me!

92 (premium) is the recomended octane rating for all Lexus vehicles :) When they come off the truck right from the factory they have 92 in them (only a couple gallons for transportation safety reasons though) During the Pre Delivery Inspection the Lexus is taken to the nearest (Non-Arcco) gas station and filled with 92 octane. Yeah it's expensive, but it's the best for your engine, they were designed to run on 92. When you put in 87 or 89 octane it will still run great and get you down the road but it's cheaper because it's not as good.

Oh, and gas stations only have 2 underground storage tanks for the unleaded 87, 89 and 92. They make the 89 by mixing the low grade and the high grade fuels together in the lines on the way to your gas tank.

-Dave

Hey,

Thanks for the input

Not much of a car guy, but will putitng in this shell

v-power whatever which boasts, 5 times more detergents

to clean your engine, etc. etc

Can putting in this gas forego the need to put in a

seperate fuel cleaner product in the tank every so

often?

I hvaen't once put in fuel cleaner in either the SC

or RX

Thanks!

92 (premium) is the recomended octane rating for all Lexus vehicles :) When they come off the truck right from the factory they have 92 in them (only a couple gallons for transportation safety reasons though) During the Pre Delivery Inspection the Lexus is taken to the nearest (Non-Arcco) gas station and filled with 92 octane. Yeah it's expensive, but it's the best for your engine, they were designed to run on 92. When you put in 87 or 89 octane it will still run great and get you down the road but it's cheaper because it's not as good.

Oh, and gas stations only have 2 underground storage tanks for the unleaded 87, 89 and 92. They make the 89 by mixing the low grade and the high grade fuels together in the lines on the way to your gas tank.

-Dave

Dave-

If that is true than why does the owner's manual for my RX330 says to use 87 octane or higher? It does say that higher octane may improve the performance. But it does not say that 92 is recomended...

You can put ANY gas in the rx300. The engine was designed to be "able" to function with the low end gas.

The RX300 engine is the same as the 6cyl Toyota camry engine, which deff can take 87.

Using the 92 etc. just gives you better performance etc. It is NOT needed.

Cars like the LS and GS etc. NEED the high end gas because that's what their engines were designed to run on.

However the magazines and the dealership recommend premium gas, not middle grade or low grade. Of course here in California the gas sucks, too many clean air addititives. Funny I when I go out of state and buy gas my mileage goes up about 2 to 3 miles per gallon. good luck

The English car show Fifth Gear did and interesting demo to try and solve the fuel grade debate recently. They hooked three different cars up to a chassis dyno and read the power ouput using three different fuels in each car. Long story short, the economy car produced exactly the same power for each of the three grades of fuel, the two more performance oriented cars, Golf GTI and Impreza, both showed moderate gains in Hp and torque using the higher grade fuels. I believe though that even the lower grade fuels in Europe are much higher in octane rating than ours are here in the US some it may not be a useful comparison. Iinteresting though

-Dave

What's wrong with Arco gas ? I don't use it myself, but find it interesting that Lexus specifically avoid it. Do all Lexus dealers shun Arco, or just the one you're associated with ?