Door Speaker

My front passenger door speaker on my 99 gs3oo cuts in and out. I would like to know if this problem could be a head unit problem or an amp problem. Where is the amp located? Is it the door speaker problem? Has anyone experienced the same problem? Thank you for your help and comments...

Edited by hiholex

If you'd had searched you would have found that the only way to test if it's an amp problem or speaker problem is too pull out the speaker, replace it with a known good speaker and if it still cuts out the problem is in the amp. If it doesn't cut out the problem is in the speaker. <_<

9 times out of ten it will be the speaker. This holds especially true if the speaker seems to work fine at low volume but not at higher volumes. MSRP is $276.14 either with or without the Nakamichi.

Side note. The speaker is a 2 ohm unit, in a customized enclosure not easily available in the aftermarket.

Thank you Guytelefunken for the info.... The speaker seems to work fine under moderate and high volumes and not at low volumes. The stereo is used the majority of the time at low volumes. Will your diagnosis still be true for the reverse volume situation. Thanx...

It is entirely possible that the speaker is still at fault. If the problem is constant and easily reproducible I would suggest this. In lieu of buying another speaker, since you probably don't have one to use for this test, you can take the speaker from the driver's door and connect it on the passenger's side. You can also move the passenger's side to the driver's. Of course, the enclosures will not fit in the door, but you can leave them hang for the purpose of this test. Support the weight of the enclosure by some method. Don't let them hang from the wires. The plugs on the speakers should be the same for both sides. If they are not, use alligator clip jumbers to connect. If the problem moves to the other side of the car, the speaker is the source. If the problem remains on the same side, you can suspect the amp.

Instructions for removing the door panel are attached.

Door_Panel.pdf