98 Gs300 Power Lock Problems

I have a 1998 GS300. Few months ago, my rear passenger side door's power lock would no longer function neither from the lock switch inside nor from the key. The only way I could lock/unlock was manually. Now my front driver side door is also misbehaving. While it'll unlock from the key and the door switch, I have to lock it manually.

Called the local Lexus dealer here and they quoted over $1200 to replace the lock assemblies!!!

My questions:

1. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

2. Is this something relatively easy to service myself using common tools? Instructions?

3. Are there any other options for me than going to the dealer especially if I can purchase the part myself?

4. Any recommendations on buying OEM parts for my Lexus?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DP

I have taken off the door panel of my JEEP before to fix a similar problem. I am not so sure that I would try it with the Lexus but... If you take off the door panel, it may be just a piece of plastic that has broken off of the lock mechanism. If that's the case I am pretty sure that you can get the part cheaper than $1200. Putting the door back together should not be too difficult I guess. I would try to take it apart 1st before I paid that kind of money. Did they take it apart or are they just giving you a off the top of the head price???

I have taken off the door panel of my JEEP before to fix a similar problem. I am not so sure that I would try it with the Lexus but... If you take off the door panel, it may be just a piece of plastic that has broken off of the lock mechanism. If that's the case I am pretty sure that you can get the part cheaper than $1200. Putting the door back together should not be too difficult I guess. I would try to take it apart 1st before I paid that kind of money. Did they take it apart or are they just giving you a off the top of the head price???

It could be that the contacts on the switches are getting dirty, Take the switches out and clean them. Then rediagnose.

Thanks. I have yet to venture to taking my door apart but may try this weekend. The quote was just over the phone after I explained what my prob was.

Thanks. I have yet to venture to taking my door apart but may try this weekend. The quote was just over the phone after I explained what my prob was.

The lock actuator assembly iS bad amd must be replaced, very common problem! SEARCH! <_<

The lock actuator assembly iS bad amd must be replaced, very common problem! SEARCH! <_<

Thanks. Didn't know the proper term to search for. For some reason my initial search didn't come up with anything. I found previous posts which were very helpful.

had same problem...changed lock actuator....250 for part, 70 labor

Toyotas are actually notorious for this problem....weve owned 3 camrys, 1 corolla, lex gs300 and all had bad lock actuators at some time.

Hi. I wrote to you on another topic but can you tell me who your mechanic is that replaced your actuator assembly? I live in NoVA and looking for a non-dealer mechanic to install it. Thanks.

DP