Passenger Door/interior Light Problem

wsexton

I have a 99' RX300. AS with most cars of any make, when you open a door the interior lights come on until the door is closed or shortly thereafter. However, my front passenger door does not activate the interior light like the other doors of the car. Now, sounds like a petty problem until you realize that the security system locks the car after 30 seconds if no door is opened. Therefore, if I unlock the car to get something or do something through the passenger door, since this door does not activate the iterior light then the car security system relocks the car and sets off the alarm. On all cars that I have owned in the past there was a small post that the door would release when opened that turned on the lights, however I can not find anything on the door or door jam that activates the lights and disables the security system. Help, very frustrating at times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem but with the driver's side, AND my power lock doesn't work either... I've read that there's a small computer so i disconnected the battery so it would "re-boot" but to no avail.... I did notice the actual door latch mechanism looks to have an extra switch that may activate the lights, but even pushing it in didn't do anything.... I tried to remove my door-panel but can't find all the screws/etc... and i didn't want to break it. sooooo... im in the same boat, If somone can tell me how to get that dang door-panel off, i'll pull the switch out and see if that's the culprit and let yall know and i could take some pics too... mine is a 99 also..

The door open detection switch is part of the latch. I have seen many things cause this problem. Updated/Recalled body ECU's for 1999 models. Multiplex communication errors that can be reset only by unplugging the driver's window master switch. Try unplugging the switch and see if it helps.

mehullica has nailed it.

You need to remove the door panel. Once it is off you will see a single wire in most cases as the second wire is the body ground. But in some cases, there are two wires. In either case, you will see the wire(s) plug directly onto the latch assembly. Sometime you can get to it good enough to clean it up and lube it. Sometime you must remove the latch assembly to get it cleaned and lubed.

Once you get it all cleaned up and lubed it will work again.

Basically, that switch is stuck in the "Closed" position, it can not tell when the door is open...