2006 Upgrade For The Navigation System

Reggie

My local dealer quoted the following:

$1,100 for the upgrade plus $400 for installation.

So, I went to ebay, and found a dealer in Dallas, Texas - Sewell Lexus - selling the 2006 DVD for $288. It arrived today, and was $296, including shipping.

Installation took less than 5 minutes:

1. run the front passenger seat all the way forward

2. turn the ignition to the on position (not running) so the navigation screen is on

3. pop the cover off the navigation system box under the passenger seat (approach it from the rear). Two tabs and the cover is off.

4. Slide the release on the upper left side of the DVD box to the right, and then push it to eject the old DVD.

5. Insert the new DVD, slide the release to close.

6. Pop the cover back on.

7. The screen will tell you to leave power to the DVD navigation system on while it updates. In about two minutes the map screen appears, and you are done.

That means my dealer is charging $4,800 per hour labor for installation!

And, making an $800 profit on the DVD! :chairshot:

what model years of your GX ? if i have a 04 do i need to upgard

what are the differences? between your old one and the new one, also what year was your gx, i have an 04. thanks

In the area I commonly drive, I've noted:

1. more minor streets are labeled with names.

2. more minor bodies of water, like ponds and creeks, show up on the display.

3. hospital complexes and golf courses are outlined in gray to differentiate them from the surrounding streets.

Could anyone who has a late build date 2005 GX (July/August) check their navigation DVD for the version number? The build date (month/year) is located on a decal on the frame when the drivers door is open. And the navigation DVD version can be obtained by pressing the menu button under the navigation screen, then press the MAP DVD button in the right upper corner of the screen. It will say something like

ver. 04.2 or 05.1. Thanks

My '06 GX has a manufacture date of 11/05. The Nav software version shown on the screen is 5.1. Anyone know if this is the latest and greatest, or is there a newer version?

You appear to have the latest version. But, to answer some of the other questions posted, try the following link:

www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?PartID=3123&ModelID=105&SubCategoryID=93

You'll need to copy and paste this link, since I haven't figured out how to embed links in posts on this board.

My '06 GX has a manufacture date of 11/05. The Nav software version shown on the screen is 5.1. Anyone know if this is the latest and greatest, or is there a newer version?

That is the latest. My 06 GX was manufactured 10/05 and it has the same version. I had the 4.2 version in my 05 GX and it always showed me at a different house number than my house number. I though when I got the 06 GX, which has the latest dvd update, it would have been corrected, but still the same. I had an 05 Dodge Magnum RT, produced in 10/04, and it had my house number correct. I can't understand it since the same company (Navteq) does the mapping software for both Daimler Chrysler and Toyota/Lexus. Go figure.

You appear to have the latest version. But, to answer some of the other questions posted, try the following link:

www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?PartID=3123&ModelID=105&SubCategoryID=93

You'll need to copy and paste this link, since I haven't figured out how to embed links in posts on this board.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?Su...D=73&ModelID=89

My local dealer quoted the following:

$1,100 for the upgrade plus $400 for installation.

So, I went to ebay, and found a dealer in Dallas, Texas - Sewell Lexus - selling the 2006 DVD for $288. It arrived today, and was $296, including shipping.

I recently updated my 2004 Nav to the '05 software (Jan 2006). It was pretty easy I must say. Plus there is a code for dropping the price down to $259 from Sewell Lexus. My question is this, the quote for the upgrade you got from you dealer. Where they going to update the Nav from the Gen III to the Gen IV??? if that were the case I would have jumped on that in a hearbeat. You would end up with bluetooth and the other benefits like the Sirius integration. That was the only kind of upgrade I could see for that much money.

• 7 months later...

So is it possible to upgrade DVD Navigation on my 04 GX470 to the bluetooth unabled one with just a DVD upgrade?

Also, does anybody know of any way to make that unit to play mp3 files? It is a shame - my wife's Sienna has a 6 CD changer with mp3 playback and Lexus still doesn't have it on on GX for 07 model (((

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is apparently not that easy. Even so I've been told in the past that all Lexus DVD's are back compatible - they are not. We just tried to update my 04 GX470 with the Nav Disc from ES350 (version 5.01) and got an Error Disk message.

After phoning Lexus Dealer - you apparently have to have a specific upgrade for your specific Nav Unit. They wouldn't go into specifics as far as whether 6.01 version from 07 GX 470 would work with my 04 GX or whether I need to order special version of 6.01 for the older GX.

And of course - they would offer it to you for 269$ which is a bit pricy.

Any one knows how to figure it out so I can order the proper disc from E'bay?

• 2 weeks later...

It is apparently not that easy. Even so I've been told in the past that all Lexus DVD's are back compatible - they are not. We just tried to update my 04 GX470 with the Nav Disc from ES350 (version 5.01) and got an Error Disk message.

After phoning Lexus Dealer - you apparently have to have a specific upgrade for your specific Nav Unit. They wouldn't go into specifics as far as whether 6.01 version from 07 GX 470 would work with my 04 GX or whether I need to order special version of 6.01 for the older GX.

And of course - they would offer it to you for 269$ which is a bit pricy.

Any one knows how to figure it out so I can order the proper disc from E'bay?

Ajbolit:

I found a site that provides details on the version based on year of your vehicle:

http://www.sewellparts.net/Lexus_Nav_Generation_Chart.pdf

In addtion, there is also a link with detailed instructions on how to change the DVD software for the GX470 (as well as other vehicles)

http://www.lexus-parts.com/nav_install.pdf

The company Sewell parts sells the DVD upgrade for $299 less a special rebate of $40 till January 7, 2007 for a total of $259. The advantage over Ebay ... they quarantee the product will work with your vehicle with a warranty.

Ordering information ......

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...roduct%20Notes:

• 3 weeks later...

i just upgraded awhile ago with a copy version and everything is straightforward. all it say is dont turn the power off and after a few seconds. its 6.1 version already. but be sure to put the correct map location as default is set i think on location 8 or 9 and i live in california so when i tried searching for walmart its showing 2000 miles away from my current location.

i just upgraded awhile ago with a copy version and everything is straightforward. all it say is dont turn the power off and after a few seconds. its 6.1 version already. but be sure to put the correct map location as default is set i think on location 8 or 9 and i live in california so when i tried searching for walmart its showing 2000 miles away from my current location.

What year is your GX? What was the exact name on the Upgrade DVD and how much did you pay for it and where did you buy if from?

• 3 months later...

I have these copies available for Toyota & Lexus

The part numbers are as follows for V6.1:

00110-DVD06-CY GEN 3 = Lexus Part Number PT219-GEN23-01

00110-DVD06-GEN5 GEN 5 = Lexus Part Number PT219-GEN05-01

Contact me via PM for more info.

The first one fits the GX470 2003-2004

I do not have the Gen 4 disc that fits 2005-2006

• 2 weeks later...

Does the update change the way the navigation system looks, or does it simply update the maps?

It updates the maps with some minor menu changes as well. I found the update from the 04 to the 06 worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
So is it possible to upgrade DVD Navigation on my 04 GX470 to the bluetooth unabled one with just a DVD upgrade?

Also, does anybody know of any way to make that unit to play mp3 files? It is a shame - my wife's Sienna has a 6 CD changer with mp3 playback and Lexus still doesn't have it on on GX for 07 model (((

when u find this out please let me know. i have a 2004 lexus gx470 and i want the blue tooth and updaed navigation also. im driving to new york from michigan may 18th and i want to purchase it asap

• 4 weeks later...

I have the following available.

North American disk W41

Gen 4

86271-33044

464210-0581

DATA Ver. 04.2

This is an original disk from an ES 330

North American disk U21

Gen 4

86271-33046

464210-0780