Help In Fort Myers--help Or Mechanic Advice

hlovepenn

I left Dallas on Saturday driving to Fort Myers, FL in a '96 LS400. I filled up in Jackson, MS, and immediately I had Check Engin light, missing and of couse, no cruise control. I stopped several times and disconnected the battery to reset the Check Engine stuff and no go! The next morning, I filled up and ran for a few miles with no problems, so I reset the CE light and had no problems all the way to Fort Myers. This morning, I drive to work and it misses and stumbles all the way--hello Check Engine! I buy sockets and tear into the sparkplug wire harness and make sure all the connections are good. Button it up and do a stress test in reverse and not a miss--perfect. Call my wife with the news, go out for dinner and guess what? Missing--stumbling and Mr. Check Engine! It now looks like maybe clogged injectors--stumbles at low RPMs and runs great at speed! Any suggestions on a great injector cleaner or a great mechanic in Fort Myers? BTW, it evidently has the old ECM--stalls after long drives on cruise control. I changed plugs and wires about 12,00 miles ago. All OEM!

Howard Penn

214-455-3406

You know, don't you just hate that this kind of thing only seems to occur when you're on the road. I had the exact same thing occur to me during a road trip where my car started missing after a fill up. Mine wasn't this bad and it eventually cleared up after a couple of fill ups. Based on what your saying that it happened after the fill up I think you got some bad fuel, possibly water contaminated. Try getting the codes read if that's possible just to make sure. Also, for me a car that misses at idle but otherwise drives fine is normally caused by a worn or broken distributor rotor or the distributor cap is cracked. Don't rush into tearing the car apart yet, and I highly doubt that you have plugged injectors! Let us know what happens or if you get the codes.

• 2 weeks later...