Info On 1.5jzgte

hey im saving up some money right now for a z3 SC. im not sure wether to get the sc300 or 400. im kinda leaning towards the 300 though becuase its more turbo-able (if thats a word). i heard about a hybrid 2jz block with the 1jz head.

what im wondering is what compession does it have with this setup?

if i were to do this i would use the 1jz intake and exhaust manifold right?

what advantages does this setup have? im thinkin that its ezier to turbo than the 2jzge.

and finally the 2jzgte and 2jzge have the exact same block right? the heads are different though right?

are there any sites or anything i can read about the 1.5jz?

thanks

what im wondering is what compession does it have with this setup?

if i were to do this i would use the 1jz intake and exhaust manifold right?

what advantages does this setup have? im thinkin that its ezier to turbo than the 2jzge.

and finally the 2jzgte and 2jzge have the exact same block right? the heads are different though right?

are there any sites or anything i can read about the 1.5jz?

thanks

8.5 to 1 I think but I might be wrong again.

Yea, 1jz mannifolds with that head.

Not many advantages. They do it in JDM markets because an owner can increase displacement and keep all the top side modifications and computer. It is a cheaper way to increase displacement. So they take the 2jz block. For us it's a different story.

I would not say it is any easier. I'd expect it to be more difficult.

www.supraforums.com look in the mk3 forum and do a search. I'll see what I can find.

if it drops the compression down to 8.5:1 and increases the displacement a lil bit, then wouldnt it be more turbo friendly than the 2jzge? the 2zjge has like a 10.sumthin:1 compression right? im not really sure about that.

also the 1jz head also drops straight on the 2jzge block right?

wouldnt this option be alot more cost effective than to get new internals for the 2jzge to drop the compression ratio?

Sure - but after doing a little digging it seems that the combo possibly holds a higher compression. The only reason I can think of to build this motor in the states is to have something that hardly no one else would have. It would be for show purposes or eccentricity.

HIGHER compression :( ? damn if thats true, instead of the 1.5 jz hybrid, what would be the best way for a high boost setup? swap the internals? engine swap (a 2jzgte is waaay 2 expensive)?

and also, there really arent any advantages of the 1jz head? i mean is there a difference in head design that would make it better or anything?

ps: if any1 has done this combo before, it would b great if they could post up the copmression ratio numbers.

Everyone is wrong.....THe 1jz motor revs faster than the 2j because of the head design.

THe cubic inches stays the same. In Japan all the "big dawgs" are running this 1.5jz setup so they can have the torque of the 2j but the faster revving of the 1j, THe compression again stays the same. You gotta remember in Japan they have a horsepower regulation...that is why the skyline, and the 1j & 2j (mk3 &mk4) all have the same factory horsepower ratings of 280ps. THat is why Toyota did not put the 1jz head on the 2j. Also They did this in order to make more torque down low.

o cool sum1 on this board runs the 1.5jz. hey finishlinemotorsports, whats ur setup (like mods and specs and stuff), and if possible do u have some info on the other 4 1.5jzs? did u use the 2jzge bottom end? if u did, what did u do to drop the compression?

ps these faces bust me up :chairshot: :pirate: :magic:

2jzgte bottom end. THe ge bottom end doesnt have the oil squirters under the pistons.

I run a JDM twin turbo kit from hks.....there is one on ebay that is similar but it uses td05's ...mine uses td06's. I also run a HKS metal headgasket.

NOTE: 2jzgte and 1jzgte uses different turbo manifolds.

I also run a stock ecu with greddy emanage (thinking of swapping to haltech).

This stuff comes easy to me because i own a performance shop.

Another note........personally...i liked the 1jz bottom end better. it was much more streetable that way down low but it felt the same up high. It is also costly to do a 1.5jz because u have to buy 2 motors....2jzgte and 1jzgte. then you are left over with a 1jz bottom end and a 2jz head....which only work okay together.

I wouldn't go so far as to say everyone is wrong in this thread. We are all saying the same thing. All I said was, I was unfamiliar with anyone with this set-up in the states. Now someone spoke up that has one. Thanks, another resource. Feel free to contribute. It still costs a lot and there are better ways to get the power, IMO. But to each his own - and nothing is wrong with that. Good luck to all.

I'm planning on doing this, thanks for the info regarding the 2jge and gte differences..

Is there any other internal differences apart from the oil squirters ?

• 1 year later...

well i was thinking that this swap would be cost effective because i assumed you could use the ge bottom end, if you buy the 1jz, and use your 2jzge bottom end, it seems you would have a cheaper version of the 2jzgte, but ive heard the 1jz head flows better, and like you said revs faster. i know the ge doesnt have oil taps for the turbos, and no oil squirters, is that to big of a handicap to overcome, i mean the oil tap should be easy right?, just would you need the oil squirters, and if so could you do it/how. another question is how much would single turbo manifold run for the 1jz, or does it have to be made? and last you said you preferred the 1jz bottom end, can you go more in dept with that? thanks

Everyone is wrong.....THe 1jz motor revs faster than the 2j because of the head design.

THe cubic inches stays the same. In Japan all the "big dawgs" are running this 1.5jz setup so they can have the torque of the 2j but the faster revving of the 1j, THe compression again stays the same. You gotta remember in Japan they have a horsepower regulation...that is why the skyline, and the 1j & 2j (mk3 &mk4) all have the same factory horsepower ratings of 280ps. THat is why Toyota did not put the 1jz head on the 2j. Also They did this in order to make more torque down low.

Since everyone is wrong, Apparently I missed something. The 1JZ is a 2.5L motor and the 2JZ is a 3.0L. How do the "cubic inches stay the same" yet have different displacements? Head design has nothing to do with the ability to rev. Reciprocating mass and the bore/stoke ratio has to do with the ability to rev, not head design.

Your last statement also doesn't make sense. Torque is primarily a function of the bore/stroke ratio not head design, even though on an N/A car the intake design does matter to a certain degree.

Here are some facts.

______________________________________________________-

Displacement, cc 2491

Engine model 1JZ-GTE

Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 280 ps (205.94 kw) / 6200 rpm

Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 37.0 kg*m (362.85 N*m) / 4800 rpm

Power density 5.43

Engine type Serial 6 cylinder DOHC24 valve IC twin turbo

Engine information

Fuel system EFI (electronic fuel injection)

Turbocharger Twin Turbo with intercooler

Fuel type Unleaded premium gasoline

LEV system (Low emission vehicle) No

Compression ratio 8.5

Bore, mm 86

Stroke, mm 71.5

Final gear ratio

Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km 12

Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km 5.9

Displacement, cc 2997

Engine model 2JZ-GTE

Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 280 ps (205.94 kw) / 5600 rpm

Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 46.0 kg*m (451.11 N*m) / 3600 rpm

Power density 5.32

Engine type Serial 6 cylinder DOHC24 valve IC twin turbo

Engine information VVT-i two-way twin turbo

Fuel system EFI (electronic fuel injection)

Turbocharger Twin Turbo with intercooler

Fuel type Unleaded premium gasoline

LEV system (Low emission vehicle) No

Compression ratio 8.5

Bore, mm 86

Stroke, mm 86

Final gear ratio

Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km 11.1

Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km

Please help me understand your statements because on the surface they make no sense what so ever.

Mike

P.S. The I have one so I know arguement won't fly.

P.P.S. Here is a good article on bore/stroke affects the character of the motor.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09...ker/index.shtml

How in the hell did i miss that post..... Let me ask this, does anyone besides me actually live in Japan? I know theres at least two others, so please speak up. First of all, there is no horsepower regulation. PERIOD. Nothing that says a Japanese car manufacturer has to limit their horsepower. There's the mystical gentleman's agreement, and thats it. Secondly, the valves are exactly the same size on both heads. You can almost use the 2jz cams in the 1jz except you have to mill down the front journal .1 or something. All of the GTE heads have ports that are angled for the TT manifolds and the heads flow almost the exact same. My 1jz revs pretty damn fast, but there are some 2JZ Supras around the sound like motorcycles.

hey finish line, i was wondering if you could please go into more detail on why you prefer the 1jz bottom end, i was wondering if you had a 1jz and a 2jz bottom end next to eachother, why wouldnt you make the 1.5, thanks

the displacement is the same when you convert the 1jz to the 1.5 jz, thats when it becomes 3.0, and then i think i heard that the 1jz head on the 2jz bottom end revs higher than with the 2jz head because the cams. And i was told i have to buy a 1jz turbo manifold and cant use a 2jz turbo manifold, because the exhaust manifold ports for the 1jzgte is different than the 2jzgte, and that only the 1jzfe has different valve sizes.

p.s. is that true that to upgrade the 1jz to a single turbo you cant use a 2jzgte turbo manifold?

the displacement is the same when you convert the 1jz to the 1.5 jz, thats when it becomes 3.0, and then i think i heard that the 1jz head on the 2jz bottom end revs higher than with the 2jz head because the cams. And i was told i have to buy a 1jz turbo manifold and cant use a 2jz turbo manifold, because the exhaust manifold ports for the 1jzgte is different than the 2jzgte, and that only the 1jzfe has different valve sizes.

p.s. is that true that to upgrade the 1jz to a single turbo you cant use a 2jzgte turbo manifold?

I could be wrong but, I'm working under the thought that a 1.5JZ is a 1JZ head on a 2JZ block. The displacement doesn't change beccause of the head. Its "change" because your 2.5L head is now on a 3.0L block.

As for the second part of your question, the 1JZ head stuff(Manifold's) are different than the 2Jz ones.

You should cruise over to www.supraforums.com, register there and poke around in the 1JZ/2JZ swap section. There is more infor there than you'll ever need.

Mike