Hack For Navigation System?

kkubasta

Another question for the board --

I'm sure neither Lexus nor its lawyers wants you to do this, but I'm curious if there any known hacks for bypassing the following on the navigation system:

1) The requirement that you hit "I Agree" every time you start the vehicle. Minor issue, but "YES, WE AGREE" - we fully understand that we may crash and burn if we stare at the Navi screen instead of looking out for all of those cell-phone-talkin' people on the road. Do we have to continually re-affirm every single time we start the car?

2) The requirement that your vehicle be under a certain minimum speed before you can have access to enter in a new destination or perform a POI search. We've only had the car for a couple months but have already had to pull over to the side of the road at least 5 times so that the passenger can enter a new destination. Again, completely understand the practical safety reasons for this limitation but also seems reasonable that a passenger should be able to access while the vehicle is in motion.

These questions may have been asked before. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for bypassing these safety/legal restrictions?

I'm sure neither Lexus nor its lawyers wants you to do this, but I'm curious if there any known hacks for bypassing the following on the navigation system:

1) The requirement that you hit "I Agree" every time you start the vehicle. Minor issue, but "YES, WE AGREE" - we fully understand that we may crash and burn if we stare at the Navi screen instead of looking out for all of those cell-phone-talkin' people on the road. Do we have to continually re-affirm every single time we start the car?

2) The requirement that your vehicle be under a certain minimum speed before you can have access to enter in a new destination or perform a POI search. We've only had the car for a couple months but have already had to pull over to the side of the road at least 5 times so that the passenger can enter a new destination. Again, completely understand the practical safety reasons for this limitation but also seems reasonable that a passenger should be able to access while the vehicle is in motion.

These questions may have been asked before. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for bypassing these safety/legal restrictions?

No to the first one...but YES to the second one. This all depends what version you have. Your going to have the search the forum because i only know the 2004 RX330 version that goes with that car. Anything later will need the new instructions. If this is your case, then disregard the following:

1)go into the one of the menu screens that hs the DVD button on the top right corner. Press this, and this will give you the version of your DVD Nav. Then press the following( and i know there arent buttons but just do it):

1) press the top left screen (corner)

2)press the bottom left screen (corner)

3)press the top left screen (corner)

4)press the bottom left screen (corner)

5) press the bottom RIGHT screen (corner)

THis will bring you to the "Secret" menu. Press and hold OVERRIDE and then your set. You have to do this everytime you start the engine :(

Edited by Rx330driver

I have a 2001 RX 300 and it works for me as well.

Press the menu button, then choose system option. Then press the top left of the screen, then the bottom left of the screen, then the top left again, then the bottom left again, then finally touch the bottom right of the screen. It will bring up a system menu. Choose the override button, then hit back. If you do this while moving, you won't be able to edit until you stop the first time. If you are stopped when you do this, then you can continue to edit while moving. Now if someone can figure out how to permanently fix this, that would be great.

• 2 months later...

Spoke too soon - seems to be picky. The next few times trying it, I can get all the way to the secret menu but the Override button won't recognize when pressed. The other buttons are OK, just the Override doesn't seem to work.

Any other get the same r know of what might be wrong?

never happened to me...are u sure ur pushing the button? u might just be pushing the surrounding area. Use ur pinky and press for like 10 seconds. lol. btw, in the menu, theres the time and date and stuff right? did anybody change the time and date in that menu, cause im afraid to touch that.

• 2 weeks later...

No to the first one...but YES to the second one. This all depends what version you have. Your going to have the search the forum because i only know the 2004 RX330 version that goes with that car. Anything later will need the new instructions. If this is your case, then disregard the following:

1)go into the one of the menu screens that hs the DVD button on the top right corner. Press this, and this will give you the version of your DVD Nav. Then press the following( and i know there arent buttons but just do it):

1) press the top left screen (corner)

2)press the bottom left screen (corner)

3)press the top left screen (corner)

4)press the bottom left screen (corner)

5) press the bottom RIGHT screen (corner)

THis will bring you to the "Secret" menu. Press and hold OVERRIDE and then your set. You have to do this everytime you start the engine :(

any news on how to do this on a 05 330?

Looking for the same problem for a 2005 RX330. I have the Diagnostics, Nav, Elecctrical and Audio wiring instructions but so far no luck solving the problem. Any Help would be sweet.

Looking for the same problem for a 2005 RX330. I have the Diagnostics, Nav, Elecctrical and Audio wiring instructions but so far no luck solving the problem. Any Help would be sweet. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I HATE this, some damn attorney @ Lexus needs to be shot, YES you frackin idiots WE RELEASE LEXUS FROM A LAWSUIT IF WE CRASH USING THE NAV, SO QUIT ASKING US!

It's more dangerous to have me punching in a 10 digit phone number on my phone than to hit 1 selection in my nav phonebook.

Let us decide how we choose to run our cars, put this in your stupid personal settings appointment so we can turn the damn thing off.

And I agree that a passenger should be able to use the damn thing while driving, it's ridiculous things like this that will force me to buy something like a TOM TOM and the manufacturers can stick their systems up their collective asses.

I thought it sucked at first but now I don't think twice about hitting agree and doing the GPS override. Its not a big deal. Now what really torques me off is not getting a few free NAV upgrade discs. With the Corvette you get 3. If Chevy can do it why can't Lexus?

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke too soon - seems to be picky. The next few times trying it, I can get all the way to the secret menu but the Override button won't recognize when pressed. The other buttons are OK, just the Override doesn't seem to work.

Any other get the same r know of what might be wrong?

OK - figured it out. There was another post about these hacks and it said to press the Override button for 5 seconds - bingo. That was it and works every time now!!!

• 2 years later...

Yes you can over ride the nav system and punch in address in a moving vehicle. I did in my RX 330 2004 and this works very good. the only down side is that you have to do this every time you start the car. It only takes 5 seconds to do this. Look up for hidden menues in the forums