Timing Belt

i that that was a decent price for that, surprised me actually-damn stealerships.- but he didin't mention the water pump, I know i should change out at the same time. Anything else has to be changed while they do this job?

My car has never had a tune up- basically because i've heard the nightmare that last plug is.

I think now is the time.

What do you guys think?

He's not doing the water pump for that price. $400 would be a good price for an honest mechanic to include the water pump also.

AFA as a real tune-up...

Plugs, dacessory belts, oil & filter, flush the coolant, flush the transmission/clutch fluid, differential fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, air filter, PCV valve. Check the charcoal canister, hoses & lines, pipes & brackets, brakes, steering, suspension.

That's what I can think of off-hand.

i that that was a decent price for that, surprised me actually-damn stealerships.- but he didin't mention the water pump, I know i should change out at the same time. Anything else has to be changed while they do this job?

My car has never had a tune up- basically because i've heard the nightmare that last plug is.

I think now is the time.

What do you guys think?

exdotcomer- based on I just had mine TB done and some other stuff. The is about what I paid. A place in Hartford wanted around $450 and herbchambers wanted aroudn $850 for TB and water pump.

I had TB, water pump (with collant), all new dive belts, cam seals, and crank seal done for around $740 out the door. It might be a lot for some but; #1 it is at Lexus and they will stand by there work and #2; 90% sure it will be the first and last time I do this stuff on the car. I plan on getting a newer model in a few years. But then again, the wife might say keep it.....

the plugs and wires shoul cost about $75 for everything. Time is about 1 hour to do them; this is with a few "mixed drinks too". It is really easy to do the back. Just go from the side.

If you can get it done cheaper great. I look within a 120 miles range from my house and I got the cheapest I could find. Even Toyota (next door to Lexus) was the same price; go figure. My friend and inlaws own garages and I said thanks but no thanks.

The stuff "Toysrme" stated you could do yourself since Lexus alone wants like $250 for a ATF and filter change, $85 for brake bleeding and other high prices...But if you can afford it, bring her in.

Edited by mburnickas

• 1 month later...

Hi Mrburnickas,

You performed:

"I had TB, water pump (with coolant), all new dive belts, cam seals, and crank seal done for around $740 out the door."

Would you also recommend replacing the tensioner?

Thanks,

Phil

He's not doing the water pump for that price. $400 would be a good price for an honest mechanic to include the water pump also.

AFA as a real tune-up...

Plugs, dacessory belts, oil & filter, flush the coolant, flush the transmission/clutch fluid, differential fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, air filter, PCV valve. Check the charcoal canister, hoses & lines, pipes & brackets, brakes, steering, suspension.

That's what I can think of off-hand.

Don't forget the fuel filter Toys. ;)

:cheers:

Don't forget the fuel filter Toys. ;)

??? Why, ES have a life time filter.

Hi Mrburnickas,

You performed:

"I had TB, water pump (with coolant), all new dive belts, cam seals, and crank seal done for around $740 out the door."

Would you also recommend replacing the tensioner?

Thanks,

Phil

Depends on miles on car. I had mine checked and they said it was fine. Don't waste the money they said.

i believe toyota is still running a monthly special ending this month. 250 for the timing belt replacement. and since ur at it, might as well buy the other belts and have them replace that as well. so tomorrow im looking at about low 300's for the belts to be replaced. not bad.

Charley

Makes sence, Its at 95k so hopefully the tensioner doesn't need to be replaced.

When you say drive belts, thats the serpentine belt?

The 98 does not have a so-called "serpentine belt". It has I think (3) belts total. (1) for AC; (1) for alt (2) and one for water pump (I think).

I know charley240sx stateed on some price but not all areas are the same. If you are out east (boston) you are not going to find that price.

I know charley240sx stateed on some price but not all areas are the same. If you are out east (boston) you are not going to find that price.

Why do prices for this service vary so widely in different parts of the country? :unsure: :(

Why do prices for this service vary so widely in different parts of the country? :unsure: :(

No clue but commen sence and $$$ says if you live in a high(er) priced area, you will pay more. You live in a state with a higher income you will pay more. It is like gas prices.

I know in the western part of my state, prices are cheaper then out east. And I am sure prices up here in the Northeast will be higher then down south ETC ETC

I just did this job this weekend in my garage by myself. It is not that difficult.

I also changed the leaking valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals. And the plugs while I was in their.

If you're doing the belt, the water pump is right their and shouldn't add much time.

The cost was 39.00 for a good Gates belt and 35.00 for Felpro gaskets.