Es300 Transmission Fluid Level

gurubaba

Hi,

I have a 1999 ES300, Just brought it back from the dealer after they replaced transmission gasket & fluid.

When the car is absolutely cold parked outside in 40F for 3 hours the Trans fluid level is slightly above the highest notch (2nd notch) beyond the HOT mark. I took my car back to the Lexus dealer telling them that the fuild was over filled, they did not agree and my Service Consultant told me that this is what it is supposed to be as per Lexus recommendations. I also called Lexus Customer Service to inquire about Lexus recommendations on the Trans fluis level as I did not find one in the owners manual. They noted my concern and said that the dealer has trained technicians who are supposed to follow service procedures and whatever they did should be OK.

Can anyone tell me what is the correct trans fluid level supposed to be? IS their any literature that I can take to the dealership that supports this? Finally If I were to DIY how should I go about correcting this myself?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

gurubaba

Hi,

I have a 1999 ES300, Just brought it back from the dealer after they replaced transmission gasket & fluid.

When the car is absolutely cold parked outside in 40F for 3 hours the Trans fluid level is slightly above the highest notch (2nd notch) beyond the HOT mark. I took my car back to the Lexus dealer telling them that the fuild was over filled, they did not agree and my Service Consultant told me that this is what it is supposed to be as per Lexus recommendations. I also called Lexus Customer Service to inquire about Lexus recommendations on the Trans fluis level as I did not find one in the owners manual. They noted my concern and said that the dealer has trained technicians who are supposed to follow service procedures and whatever they did should be OK.

Can anyone tell me what is the correct trans fluid level supposed to be? IS their any literature that I can take to the dealership that supports this? Finally If I were to DIY how should I go about correcting this myself?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

gurubaba

check it with the engine off, and see where the fluid sits. then check it again with it running, compare the 2.

The Owner FAQ on Toyotas website explains the proper fluid level checking procedure:

http://www.toyota.com/about/contact/index.html

CHECKING AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL

TOOLS AND SUPPLIES:

* Automatic Transmission Fluid

* Rag or paper towels

* Funnel

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Check the fluid level when the transmission is hot (normal operating temperature).

If the vehicle has been driven over 10 miles or 16 km (15 miles or 24 km in frigid temperatures) and the fluid temperature is 160-175 degrees F, 70-80 degrees C, the transmission is hot.

If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if the vehicle has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level cannot be obtained. Check the level after the fluid has cooled down (about 30 minutes).

You may check the level when the transmission is cold. If it has been at least five hours since the vehicle has been driven and the fluid is about room temperature (70-85 degrees F, 20-30 degrees C) the transmission is cold. However, checking a cold transmission is to be used for your reference only and the transmission must be checked again for correct fluid level at normal operating temperature.

2. Step-by-step procedures:

a. With the vehicle level, first set the parking brake and then start the engine.

b. While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and shift the selector lever into each range from "P" to "L" and return to "P".

c. With the engine still idling, check the fluid level and condition on the automatic transmission fluid dipstick.

d. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean with a rag (be careful, fluid is hot).

e. Reinsert the dipstick -- push it in as far as it will go.

f. Pull the dipstick out and look at the fluid level. If the transmission is hot, the fluid level should be in the "HOT" range on the dipstick. Similarly, if it is cold, the level should be in the "COOL" range.

g. While checking the fluid level, also check the condition. If the fluid is black or if it smells burnt, have it changed.

CAUTION: Moving parts like the fan blade and drive belts, as well as extreme heat in the engine compartment or from the exhaust system, can result in serious injury.

* Approach with caution and care.

* Never take short cuts.

* Improper servicing may damage your Toyota and lead to personal injury.

* Unless you have the proper knowledge, equipment and tools, have your local Toyota dealership perform the repairs and maintenance.

5. If the level is low, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle.

If the level is at the low side of either range, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle to bring the level within the range. (Fluid is added through the dipstick tube, using a funnel.)

NOTE: Avoid overfilling, or the transmission could be damaged.

Cold marks are never accurate. Always go by the hot marks.

you would be surprised...the hot marks in my ES250 were never accurate. if i went by them, the tranny woudl slip the fluid was so low. fi i went by the cold marks, i got it perfect every time.

usually though, yes the cold marks are more accurate. i think to this day something was deathly wrog with my ES250's trans.

• 1 year later...
My owners manual states to check the fluid when it's hot on a level surface. B) When it's cold, the the fluid is always higher on the dipstick........at the proper level when hot.

:cheers:

Check it when it is cold and running, the torque convertor drains and backfills the pan when it is not running and that is when the level seems too high. running fills the TQ, lowering the level in the pan to operating level. check it then in P and only after you cycle the trans from P to L/1 back to park, pausing about 3 seconds at every gear, that fills the passages up, making the measurement more accurate.