Es300 95 - 275km - Thumping Feel While Driving

magicray

Hi I'm an owner of a Lexus ES300 1995 and I just replaced the spark plug a few weeks back with the NGK. All 6 of them. I did not change the wires, if that makes a difference. This es300 has pads over the spark plugs.

Anyhow the problem is, the car spurts or wants to stall for about half a second, the RPM doesn’t move. Only when the car is in drive the spurts or thumps could be felt. This could be happening while idle and in drive or actually driving. This started happening after 2-3 weeks of the NGK spark plug installation. A friend thinks it might be my fuel injectors, being dirty. Does any one think it might be the wires for the spark plugs that needs to be changed. I'm thinking only cars with distributors, the wires should be changed.

Also if someone can check on top of ther radiator what the date is? I need to know if the radiator was changed recently. The writing on my radiator states Toyota 2004. Would that be the date of manufacturing of the radiator? or a model number of some sort.

Thanks - Any help would be appreciated.

Hi I'm an owner of a Lexus ES300 1995 and I just replaced the spark plug a few weeks back with the NGK. All 6 of them. I did not change the wires, if that makes a difference. This es300 has pads over the spark plugs.

Anyhow the problem is, the car spurts or wants to stall for about half a second, the RPM doesn’t move. Only when the car is in drive the spurts or thumps could be felt. This could be happening while idle and in drive or actually driving. This started happening after 2-3 weeks of the NGK spark plug installation. A friend thinks it might be my fuel injectors, being dirty. Does any one think it might be the wires for the spark plugs that needs to be changed. I'm thinking only cars with distributors, the wires should be changed.

Also if someone can check on top of ther radiator what the date is? I need to know if the radiator was changed recently. The writing on my radiator states Toyota 2004. Would that be the date of manufacturing of the radiator? or a model number of some sort.

the number on the rad is not the year built.

if your engine did not have a miss before you changed plugs, then you probably didn't push down a plug boot enough or maybe you damaged a coil pack-

the number on the rad is not the year built.

if your engine did not have a miss before you changed plugs, then you probably didn't push down a plug boot enough or maybe you damaged a coil pack-

Toyota 2004 is the year of manufacture on the radiator, chuck.

Sorry i think i'm getting two different answers regarding the rad, so it's not the year built right? Its just a model number of some sort?

I need to replace or fix it soon, I see a crack happening whats the best aftermarket or OEM make of rad I could use on this baby. I'm canada.

Also i remember this was happening before the spark plug change. But it was not that noticable. Why i got the hint of changing the spark plugs, was that the car would want to stall going above 60-80km/h. So after after changing them, that problem of stall after 60-80km/h was solved. But now the small thumping feel of stalling is worse and happing more often. dont forget it took about 2-3 weeks for it to get like this. it wasnt happening right after the spark plug change.

thanks

when u pulled the wires out... u sure u didn't rip n e of the wires right? I'm not sure if that would contribute to the problems... but it's a start i suppose. As for the radiator... i dont know whose right or wrong. Perhaps do a Fuel Injector treatment... i hear Seafoam is good... i usually do Chevron wit Techron. I'll try Seafoam next time.

Good luck... i hope u get ur problems fixed

Tom

Did you replace any other parts other than the spark plugs? At your mileage, you might need a full 'major' tune up (which includes the plugs, wires, PCV valve, air filter & fuel filter). Having the injectors cleaned isn't a bad idea either. B)

Where abouts in the Toronto area are you magic? :unsure: I'm in the north east section of T.O. near the Markham border. ;)

:cheers:

Toyota 2004 is the year of manufacture on the radiator, chuck.

no, it's not. my 1995 ES300 says "Toyota 2004" on it and it has original radiator.

been through this once before already.

thanks for clearing that up!

no prob ;)

Did you replace any other parts other than the spark plugs? At your mileage, you might need a full 'major' tune up (which includes the plugs, wires, PCV valve, air filter & fuel filter). Having the injectors cleaned isn't a bad idea either. B)

Where abouts in the Toronto area are you magic? :unsure: I'm in the north east section of T.O. near the Markham border. ;)

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies - everyone!!!!

Yeah I also changed air filter when I changed the spark plugs. It was kinda hard getting to the last 3 spark plug behind the throttle body but I did it. While I had the throttle body open I used a spray from Toyota to clean the throttle body.

I will take a look at the car today and do some testing with what everyone is been saying...

Btw I did use a Fuel Injector cleaner from Canadian Tire the red bottle.

I'm located in thornhill, bayview & Steels area.

Edited by magicray

Just an update I cleaned the Air Flow Meter, its was dirty but no change in behaviour. Also I noticed thumping or stalling feeling happens when the car is warm. In the mornings when the car is cold it doesnt happen.

Thanks

Did you torque the plugs? Cross a plug wire? Loose wire? Are all the injectors plugged in and operational?