Does Size Matter?

I was wondering when a smaller size disc on your porter cable is necessary? Or if it is really necessary? I am just starting out with my 7424 and notice a 5inch and 6 inch plate i believe but after looking into it further I now see like 2 3/4 backing plates. What is the best size to have please? or sizes? :wacko: :cries: :unsure: ;) :whistles:

SIZE DOES MATTER-

Just ask any female detailer ;-)

Always use a smaller sized Velcro backing plate then the Velcro foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch Velcro backing plate and a 6.5-inch Velcro foam pad) Never use a Velcro backing plate that is larger then the Velcro backed foam pad as the backing plate will damage / scratch the paintwork.

Edited by TOGWT

SIZE DOES MATTER-

Just ask any female detailer ;-)

Always use a smaller sized Velcro backing plate then the Velcro foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch Velcro backing plate and a 6.5-inch Velcro foam pad) Never use a Velcro backing plate that is larger then the Velcro backed foam pad as the backing plate will damage / scratch the paintwork.

That part I understand TOGWT,but I am seeing 2 3/4 inch backing plates and wondering when or if I will need this size? I have been looking at the 5 " backing plate with the 6 1/2" pads but now I am wondering how many sizes do backing plates come in and what is really needed? I just want to buy the right items to do the best job.:cheers:

Foam pads (Lake County Mfg) are available in various sizes from 3.5 – 8.0-inch diameter, but I have found that for the application of a polish the optimum size of foam pad for whole panel (i.e. hood, trunk, fender, etc.) is 6 to 6.5- inches, with an effective pad contact diameter of 5.5 to 6.25- inches.

For the ‘spot-repair’ of blemishes on a specific blemish or paint defect, I prefer working with a 4- inch pad. This pad size allows me to focus on just the problem area and not affect the surrounding paint.

~Hope this helps~

[each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher]

Foam pads (Lake County Mfg) are available in various sizes from 3.5 – 8.0-inch diameter, but I have found that for the application of a polish the optimum size of foam pad for whole panel (i.e. hood, trunk, fender, etc.) is 6 to 6.5- inches, with an effective pad contact diameter of 5.5 to 6.25- inches.

For the ‘spot-repair’ of blemishes on a specific blemish or paint defect, I prefer working with a 4- inch pad. This pad size allows me to focus on just the problem area and not affect the surrounding paint.

~Hope this helps~

[each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher]

You always help John as I knew you would again.. thanks :cheers:

I found if I keep the backing plate about 3/4" away from the pad, it has just enough give to polish curved area, BUT still has enough support as to not rip the edges of the pad.

Hope this helps

So you think 4 3/4 or 5" backing plate is best? and what about the counter weight does the pc come with one or do you add this? What size to add the 5" or 6"? If I go with the 5" backing plate and the 6 1/2 pad this should work right? I guess I read to much but so many detailers have there opinions and I only want to buy this stuff once and get it right. I dont know why pc just doesnt give you the right backing plate and such ,would be so much easier. :chairshot: :cheers:

5"-6" Any descent pad is going to wrap around the hook & loop plate. AFA pads, I like 5 & 6" pads. I use 6" pads more. It's not really gonna matter either way.

Oh... Don't get the "finger" pads. They suck.

Grab 2-3 yellow/orange pads to cut with & just some light pad to wax with. & a handful of microfiber bonnets to buff with. Say two per application you wanna do on the car.

So you think 4 3/4 or 5" backing plate is best? and what about the counter weight does the pc come with one or do you add this? What size to add the 5" or 6"? If I go with the 5" backing plate and the 6 1/2 pad this should work right? I guess I read to much but so many detailers have there opinions and I only want to buy this stuff once and get it right. I dont know why pc just doesnt give you the right backing plate and such ,would be so much easier. :chairshot: :cheers:

There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933) (I also feel this counter weight cuts down on vibration whatever size pad is utilized) The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people

So you think 4 3/4 or 5" backing plate is best? and what about the counter weight does the pc come with one or do you add this? What size to add the 5" or 6"? If I go with the 5" backing plate and the 6 1/2 pad this should work right? I guess I read to much but so many detailers have there opinions and I only want to buy this stuff once and get it right. I dont know why pc just doesnt give you the right backing plate and such ,would be so much easier.:chairshot::cheers:

There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933) (I also feel this counter weight cuts down on vibration whatever size pad is utilized) The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people

Sorry TOGWT I did not follow your last sentence. Can you please explain it again for me? You started out saying basically 6"counter weight for 6" backing plate but I plan to use a 5" backing plate with a 6 1/2" pad so do you feel I may be better off with the 6" counter weight or did I not understant ? thanks John

I found if I keep the backing plate about 3/4" away from the pad, it has just enough give to polish curved area, BUT still has enough support as to not rip the edges of the pad.

Hope this helps

Just picked up my 2002 BLACK LS430 and I will be becoming my own DETAILER.

Where is the best deal on a PC? Is there a good package out there with all the right PC

accecceries? My car has scratches (moderate) and swirls to initially get out.......

I believe my Black paint has a clearcoat.

Hope this helps

Just picked up my 2002 BLACK LS430 and I will be becoming my own DETAILER.

Where is the best deal on a PC? Is there a good package out there with all the right PC

accecceries? My car has scratches (moderate) and swirls to initially get out.......

I believe my Black paint has a clearcoat.

Try properautocare.com,autogeek.com, autopia.com,pakshak.com,meguiarsonline.com,just for a start

Also amazon and ebay of course.

The cheapest place to get one probably is www.coastaltool.com.

Your 01 may or may not have a clearcoat.

I picked up the Porter Cable special ($127.50) at Autopia...........man were they fast,

ordered it on Jan 12 and its was at my door TODAY!

Also baught both Klasse products(all-in-on and sealant). For the scratches I got Sonus SFX-1

Restore......with 4" pad to do the work.

Finally picked up all my microfiber towels/wash/tire dressing at WALMART!!

When it stops raining here we'll see what this country boy can do....... :P

Be careful with the WalMart MFs. They're not as finely spun nor are they as soft as higher quality MFs found at different retailers.

In my experience they're suitable for wheels, doorjambs and interiors, but I'd never use one on my paint.

Be careful with the WalMart MFs. They're not as finely spun nor are they as soft as higher quality MFs found at different retailers.

In my experience they're suitable for wheels, doorjambs and interiors, but I'd never use one on my paint.

I AGREE !Dont cut back now you got everything else use good mf's :cheers:

• 8 months later...

I AGREE !Dont cut back now you got everything else use good mf's :cheers:

There are alot of good deals on the Porter Cable 7424. They can be found on Ebay, New, with shipping included from $102-150.

If you buy them online at a tool shop they tend to run anywhere from $150-199.

I just purchased one for $102 delivered from Ebay. Brand new, not a refurb. Pretty hard deal to beat and trust me, I looked everywhere!

I am also interested in buying the Porter Cable 7424, but I am not sure what else I need to make this work, my needs are simple, I want to be able to apply and remove the polish as well as the wax, I am too lazy to do it by hand, I want to make sure I don't scracth the paint so I like to know what size and what kind of pad do I need to apply and remove the polish and paint, thank you in advance for your help.