Power Steering

lovlex

on my 95 LS, i was wondering is the steering suppose to be somewhat stiff. on my old caddy, i can turn it to a hard right or left with one finger but with the lex it takes a little more effort, like a sports car. plus, while driving, to go around a curve, you feel the effort. with the 79 caddy, you don't know you are turning it. this is the only LS lex i've driven so i do not have anything to compare it to. also, i put a new steering rack on it last year because it was leaking.

thanks,

adam

My first thought is that your power steering solenoid screen needs cleaning. There are many threads talking about how cleaning it has made steering much easier.

After reading this solenoid topic see if you think it could help you too.

Do a "solenoid" search to read the other related threads.

Check the level of the power steering fluid in the reservior first. If low top up and drive the car to feel any improvement in steering.

If the fluid level is ok, check the colour of the fluid. If it is a nice clear red colour (like red wine on your finger), then the fluid is newish and fine. If it has a brown tinge to it, then its time for a flush and refill.

Once flushed / refilled drive the car to see if the steering feel is improved.

If not, then progress to cleaning of the solenoid filter. Before removing the solenoid filter, just check the thin nut for any marks to indicate a previous attempt at cleaning the solenoid filter. Reinsert and test drive. If steering is still heavy and you did see marks on the solenoid filter nut, then perhaps the prior owner replaced the solenoid filter with the wrong type. If that is the case, you should contact Lexus and ask which solenoid filter was used in the manufacture of your year model LS and purchase the correct one if different from your current one. Do a search on solenoid filters as another member had this problem where his car had a type F filter which resulted in heavy steering, but should have had a type E filter - a change of filter worked for him.

If none of the above solve the heavy sterring, then it may be time to take it to a mechanic.

Good luck.

Michael

IMMHO what you describe is perfectly normal, and desireable, for the LS. My 1992 stearing was to "dead", no feedback, until I removed the damper, shock absorber, mounted on the stearing gear.

I often have as opportunity to drive a 95 LS and it is even moreso as you describe.

thanks guys for all your help ;)

I feel your steering as normal. Check Fluid, DO NOT OVERFILL. Use Dex III, some members have noted that using Mobil 1 Dex III have brought them good results. Check threads, extensive info in them. Check for red leaks in the front and sides of the car and near the tires by the tie rods. If you have red fluid, which it should all be bone dry if no problems, you have a leak that could be causing your woes. The 70 Caddy I believe it has not rack, there is a difference, cars without racks are lighter to steer. I had a XR7 Cougar which was even more stiff, sure it was more sports like than the Lex. Remember they modeled the cars as a driving experience, to have such you need to feel the road, the steering, some owners of such fine autos, it they do not feel "La Strada",they feel cheated by all the money spent. They have gone to lenghts as to take the car back, due to inconformities of the road feel in the steering.

My two cents. C. PR

Edited by cardona6569