01 Vw Golf Turbo Vs. 95 Sc400

Can a 01 VW Golf 1.8T (turbo) with I believe 150hp w/ 30K miles beat a 95 SC400 stock w/110K miles? Input please....My friend said he could whoop me..I'm hoping he's wrong. I want your guys' opinion...I'm guessing not in the sense that my car is heavy and it has 250 HP that's been through 110K miles...

Our cars are fat, we all know this, but when you have a 100+ hp advantage, in a straight line you are going to rape him. No contest plus you have rear wheel drive whcih is a more effective drivetrain compared to front wheel drive.

No worries, race him, kill him, and sit there with a giant grin on your face.

You will lose probably because these stock sc400 cars are complete slugs off the line, and unless you quickly upgrade your torque converter I think you will come up short. The manual transmittion has the clear advantage off the line and the turbo will keep it going. I think you will probably lose but not by much.

I almost lost to a Honda once with a big turbo but I was way too fast off the start for him. He was right with me though the whole way after but could not find the power to pass, and I am running 400hp+ with my 1992 Sc400 with a Dragon Torque Converter. Those honda's are super light and can move with a turbo and a few other mods trust me.

I can't stand losing races. Haven't lost too many in the last year, but I just backed out of a race recently with an E55 AMG, thought I might lose on the back end of that race, did not want to lose $400 (cost of 2 Laker tickets). A friends brother of mine was goating me a couple of weeks ago for race and tickets to winner, I had too chicken out, although I think it would have been a close race.

Save your pride and until you do some mods I wouldn't challenge a new four cylinder turbo golf with a stock sc....I believe you will lose......

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion the torque converter upgrade is the most important and dramatic performance mod you can and should do to make an sc400 perform like a sports car.....What it does is deliver instant torque to the rear wheels, and allows the sc to bolt off the line, wheels spinout instead of that slow wait an hour to get moving from a dead start stock sc400 torque converter....Night and Day. It is the best mod I did besides the nos....

If I were to start fresh on a stock sc400 the torque converter would be the first mod change I would do....

Est. costs: Dragon Torque converter $900, Lextreme.com $400 but you need to send your stock one in while your car is disabled. For installation a transmittion shop will probably charge no more then $300 to change the torque converters out....Expensive but very effective for 0-60mph times....

I didn't know there was a such thing as a torgue converter. My car feels like the brakes are on untill you reach about 2500/3000 rpm, then I can feel it pull. Does the torque converter make driving in the rain impossible? (I live in Seattle) The traction control kicks in all the time in the rain now, i figure the converter makes you a bit more squirrly. Do you know how torque converter works, how does it increase lower rpm torque to the wheels? Is there something stock on the car that reduces the torque from the start?

Ok, the torque converter transfers the power to your engine then to the transmission - drive train - rear wheels. The stock torque converters are set a certain stall rate at production which tranfers the power accordingly, sort of like a clutch on a car is my best way to describe. Now, I am not an expert on the torque converters but I do know the basics...So my guess is Lexus set these stock torque converters on these sc's ls's400's thinking alot of seniors and old ladies were going to buy and drive. This flaw at production for a sports coupe limits the cars performance in a tremendous way 0-30mph and from a dead start... If you have ever driven or road in a Corvette, Camaro, Iroc, etc...you will notice they are pepy from a dead stop, throttle response is immediate well why you may ask is because they have a tight stall rate on their torque converters.. Cadilac's, Lexus's, Etc.. the opposite...

I have been running the D.T.C. for a year on my sc400, and can drive the same as stock and can perform if needed now. With the new torque converter if you lighly press the gas and move forward it will still excellerate smoothly from a stand still, and if you press the gas pedal let's say half way you will probably spill your coffe on your lap, and jerk your neck back slightly and take off, and lastly if you go full throttle from a stand still you will spinout that one rear wheel since you are not running a limited slip differential. So it is just a matter of getting use to it that is all... I must let you all know that you will lose a little top end torque but not much, so your car will not be as fast eccelerating from lets say 60mph or more, but not a huge difference, maybe like the difference between using the ECT button and not when racing on the freeway. There is always a give and a take... But for these cars the take is so much better then the give.... These are simple terms and discriptions I am giving based on my personal experience with the torque converters.... One last example, have you ever been in the far right hand lane stopped at a red light and there is a car next to you on your left hand lane and when the light turns green you will need to hurry up and pass before the right lane closes up ahead? Well, with the stock torque converter on let's say the sc400, you submit, stop, turn on the blinker and wait for traffic wishing you had a faster car to pass before going. With the new torque converter just hit the gas and move ahead and pass with confidence. A nice secure feeling when you know the power is right there.....Man that just sounded like a commercial or advertisement for torque converters, oh well...

Lastly, the car will still ride normally you just need to get use to the power at lowend....not a big deal, and should not affect mechanical reliabilty and or driving in the rain, except maybe at a stand still if you accidently give it too much gas from a stop. I have had my D.T.C. on now for a year and have had no problems or compaints to say about it what so ever, rain, etc..it's all good and also you will still be able to command a smoothe drive, so you won't give your mom, date or Wife a heart attack if they are driving in the car with you...... So again it is a great mod to get and I absolutely recommend it, if you enjoy and or what instant ecceleration....

I hope I have explained the torque converter now, because that was a story....see ya.....

this is probably coming to late but it's good info:

'01 VW golf 1.8t~

0-60: 7.6

1/4: 16.0

'95 Lexus SC400~

0-60: 7.0

1/4: 15.2

The info is from motortrend so it is accurate.

I don't care how bad that torque converter is the numbers speak for themselves.

Yeah I'm a noob to the forums but, i can comment on this *BLEEP*ible race. I raced a stock Turbo Golf in my 95 sc400 and lost to him by about 1/2 car. We went from around a 20mph roll, we started off even then he started to pull me at the end. I knew the guy so i didnt feel bad about the loss but i plan on running him again from a dig.

i dont know but i have race a 01 jetta with turbo stock...im not sure if they have the same engine or not but my was bone stock too, well when we race he had advantage in take off but i slowly walk on him, because the lexus have HIGH end power and i beat him 3 times, and i say go for it you will take him BELIEVE IN THE LEXUS!

^^ i agree with him on that one because when i ran a Silvarado from a dig we ran damn near even out the hole up until around 1/2 into 2nd when i started to pull him and buy the end i had a car on him at the end of 3rd. The Golf i raced didnt kill me but they will slowly creep away on you.

So how about you just end the speculation and race? Ya lose some, ya win some...that's just how it goes.

Did you ever race ? Do it and post the results or let us know that the race is off. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

im new on here but i was readin this story and just wanted to share a race i had with my buddy.

i believe it is an 02. gti 1.8t 5speed. his brother who i also raced has a 20th aniversy addition with a 6 speed and up graded suppention. by the way i have an 98 sc4 so i do have a nice 30 hp advantage over u 92-97 guys but i simply blew them away. while there wheels are spinning and there doin there fast and furious thing im relaxing in my car speeding away. but hey even if u do lose to them. ur in a lexus there in a hilter mobile lol w.e my car has a phone there car has some stupid 20th aniversry seats. lol

Dirty Dan, yes your 98 SC400 would be equiped with the VVTI system and that would give you a clear advantage over all the older pre 97 sc400's except mine.... Curious, do the 98 Sc400's pull hard from the dead stop or is Lexus still making the 1998 SC400's sluggish from a dig? The torque converters are pathetic in the earlier stock sc400's.... I think those T.C.'s ruins and limits the cars true performance V8 feel. Instead when you hammer the stock SC's and the cars feels like a 4 cylinder off the line and it's a damn shame. If you have ever driven a Camaro V8, or Ford mustang V8 automatic transmission you will know what I am talking about. They are peppy from the start because of the stonger Torque converter setup and not because of there larger more powerful engines. It is my understanding Lexus built these SC converters with older folks in mind so they wouldn't jerk back their heads from a dead start if they accidently punched it, and that might just give the old folk a heart attack...I hope they corrected that which I don't think they did even in SC430's....

Don't feel bad, they are still great cars. Just a little slow off the line that is all. Higher rpm's with the ECT button pushed they have a little pep, very little pep. Just don't race ever from a dead stop, not even an 18 wheeler big rig..(just kidding).

I remember a little over a year ago when my car was stock, I was thinking this car can motor a little bit, and then I decided to race my friends 4.6L 1995 Mustang GT stock and lost so bad from the start it was embarrassing. I then thought to myself I have a V8 motor that puts out just about the same horsepower stock as the 4.6L mustang so why does this SC400 not have power like a V8 with dual overhead cams should? That's is when the building started. That is when I visited websites like intellexual.net and Lextreme.com forum and got a complete education on how to get the most out of these cars without sacrificing the reliability and driveability of the car. Before with my car I would be pressed to beat a V6 camery 0-60mph, now I am beating new M3 BMW's and keeping up with New 400hp Corvette's and it's a blast. I get a little respect in this car finally... The car is still very nice and confortable, but just a bit louder with a deep rumble sound and alot faster. I even get better gas mileage now and can still pass smog checks. It is like a whole different car but the same.... Enough hype - Build away fella's it's not as hard and costly as you may think unless you get carried away like me..and lastly I will just say to you all you really don't know what you have under the hoods of those sleeping little giants.......See ya...

they are pretty doggy from the start unless ur launching. iv had some nice launches with the track controle off ect on in 1st gear and left at about 1,800-2,000 rpms. this is rare tho these cars have a mind of there own. sometimes il get 1 wheel spinning sometmies 2. who knows. iv raced my friends 97 mustang gt plently of times and were about dead even and he has all the lil mods ud expect (exaust, intake 3.73 gears, pullies) and i have nothing ha. i think that mustangs just feel alot faster because of the hardsher suspension and loudness. it deff feels faster but last time we were at the track we both ran 14.7's ok he got me by .002 of a sec but w.e lol