Electrical Disturbance

i own a 1999 gs300, 66,666 mi. about 4 days ago i lost power to master door/window switch, except for drivers window. all other windows work fine on own. then my fuel light was flashing; resolved after opening

gas tank and resealing. then my seatbelt light wouldn't go off when belted.also my headlights stay on in auto mode when car is off. all symptoms resolved in 4 days, as soon as i hung up after making date with mechanic. now the same thing is happening, and my mechanic can't figure it out, and he is usually THE BOMB mechanic. it has been raining here, but my windows have been up:) i see where gemini112 had similar post, but i'm not sure how it was resolved. i really don't want to go out of town to lexus dealership as i'm unfamiliar with their rep. thanks to all out there, mary beth

Sounds like the problem may be in the driver's door ECU. Inside the driver's door is a computer. The driver's door switchs talk directly to this ECU. The ECU then sends commands to the main body ECU. THe body ECU them sends commands elsewhere; to each other door ECU for example. It may be a loose connector to the ECU or a broken wire, or the ECU itself. This is best taken to a Lexus dealer if your independent mechanic can't find an obvious falut like a broken wire or connection. The Lexus computer is much more capable of dealing with the type of communications system used in Lexii. Nevertheless, if the problem doesn't exist at the time when they try to diagnose it, they probably won't find anything either.

My instincts tell me this is likely the problem area because the auto off mode for the headlights depend on a signal derived from opening the driver's door. The seat belt fastened switch signal is also routed through the driver's door ECU.

thanks for ur reply. when i picked my car up last nite , it wouldn't start,and mechanic had to jump it. now have also lost heat fan,mirrors, inside light, outside temp sensor, remotes. still wouldn't start today, but responds immediately to jump start. dropped it off tonite at mechanics; could it be the alternator? i appreciate ur input, and i know my mechanic will send me to lexus if necessary, at no charge. my battery is less than a yr old., by the way. scared to drive it, am cruising in old suburban..........mary beth

thanks for ur reply. when i picked my car up last nite , it wouldn't start,and mechanic had to jump it. now have also lost heat fan,mirrors, inside light, outside temp sensor, remotes. still wouldn't start today, but responds immediately to jump start. dropped it off tonite at mechanics; could it be the alternator? i appreciate ur input, and i know my mechanic will send me to lexus if necessary, at no charge. my battery is less than a yr old., by the way. scared to drive it, am cruising in old suburban..........mary beth

More than likely it's the battery. It could be the alternator as well, however it wouldn't stay running if the alternator was bad. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

My 1998 GS300 is doing the exact same thing your's did. It wouldn't start and had to be jumped. My heater fan, mirrors, etc then quit working. Were you able to solve the problem? Any information you have would be helpful. Thanks, Kevin -- salemjeep@hotmail.com

right now i'm exploring the possibility of a small leak in the windshield. the problem occurs after a heavy rain, and resolves when weather dries vehicle out. apparantly this was happening on someone elses newer vehicle and the water was getting moisture on the computer. we looked at my windshield, and it is not the original. so

perhaps i don't have a perfect seal. will follow up when resolved. mary beth

right now i'm exploring the possibility of a small leak in the windshield. the problem occurs after a heavy rain, and resolves when weather dries vehicle out. apparantly this was happening on someone elses newer vehicle and the water was getting moisture on the computer. we looked at my windshield, and it is not the original. so

perhaps i don't have a perfect seal. will follow up when resolved. mary beth

If you have a leak it will be damp under the carpet. I'd check this before you get too into this leaking windshield theory. Also if it is damp it could be from a missing body plug or hole in the firewall, so don't just check the windshield if it's damp. Also check A/C drain turbe as well for clogs. <_<