Lexus Rx400h Or Bmw X3?

Hello, I want to know the people opinion about this 2 cars (Lexus rx400h or BMW X3). I want to buy it one of them but I don't know how is better.

Wich are your opinion about?

- AWD vs xDrive

- Transmission

- the acceleration

- stabiliy

Thanks at all!

p.d. Sorry about my English

Actually the RX400h is more comparable to the BMW X5, not the X3. My wife and I spend several weeks comparing the RX400h to the X5, and it was a close decision to choose the RX400h. The things that tipped the scale for us included ....

* better performance (compared to the 3.0L X5)

* more interior room

* better Navigation system

* expected better reliability

* better mileage

We also own a 2002 BMW530i which as been a great car, so it was truly a tough decision. There's something about the "BMW feel" that the Lexus just doesn't match, but overall we felt the RX400h was a better choice. Even my BMW dealer agreed that the RX400h is a tough car for them to beat. Of course, this is the last year for the current X5 since a redesigned X5 premiers later this year as a 2007 X5.

The BMW has really bad build quality. Everything rattles and the door shuts like a tin can.

The 3.0 X5 does cuz its made in america. If I compare my lexus to my M3, the lexus seems very cheap. BMW is def better if u get one made in germany

the transmission in the 400h is also the smoothest one you will drive. the 400h is primarily front wheel drive with rear wheels assiting when needed, what kind of terrain do you drive in in andorra?

the transmission in the 400h is also the smoothest one you will drive. the 400h is primarily front wheel drive with rear wheels assiting when needed, what kind of terrain do you drive in in andorra?

Andorra is a small mountain country from Europe between France and Spain, it has snow and low temperatures in winter and very hot in summer. You can find easily snow, rained, ice roads.

Thank you for all your replies!!!

The BMW X3 is RWD engine torque biased and will therefore be more stable overall and especially so when the roadbeds are slippery, mud, snow or ice covered.

The Rx400h will have much better fuel economy but your life will be at risk each time you take it out in adverse conditions. The ABS system, ECU, can easily detect that a wheel or wheels is/are slowing/stopping too rapidly during braking and therefore moderate the braking pressure so you can maintain directional control of the vehicle.

No such capability is available to detect that a driven wheel under engine drive torque, cruising or accelerating, is "about" to break traction. If the primary drive wheels are at the front then you will already have lost directional control at the instant the Trac system detects traction loss and switches some "drive" to the rear motor.

Also keep in mind that while ABS can moderate braking pressure so you can more easily maintain directional control it cannot alleviate engine compression braking at the front drive wheels nor braking due to regenerative effects of the front electric drive motor/generator.

If I ever purchase an HH or RXh it will only be after I design a modification such that during acceleration the front wheels always appear to "slip" and therefore the ECU will automatically provide primary drive at the rear.

I have no idea where one would begin in designing a method to quickly alleviate hybrid drive torque and/or engine compression/regenerative braking on the front wheels during coastdown should the surface prove to be slippery.

An X3 for me!

If anyone here watches Top Gear...and maybe you in Andorra becuase its near Britain, they rated the X3 as the worst car for one of the years...maybe '04. I would def get a lexus. Plus i think the x3 looks cheap with the plastic bumpers and side panels around. But i think the rx is much more expensive...;)

Edited by Rx330driver

The Rx400h will have much better fuel economy but your life will be at risk each time you take it out in adverse conditions.

Life will be at risk? Oh please.

And all vehicles have plastic bumpers, its required by law.

My "life at risk" statement was referring to the hazards of FWD or front torque biased AWD when driving on adverse roadbed conditions.

The RX400h driving dynamics could be improved dramatically in these circumstances if they provided a manual mode "switch" (a "snow" switch??) through which the driver could change the primary drive and regeneration capability to the rear motor and thereby dedicate the front tires' contact patch entirely to directional control.

They're already doing that, automatically, with the AWD models of the IS, GS and even with 4WD on the 4runner.

With the AWD IS and GS if the VSC's yaw sensor indicates lateral forces are climbing beyond a certain level it begins reallocating engine drive/drag torque primarily to the rear. Can't find out much about the details of the 4runner, it simply says during "stearing" the engine drive/drag torque is removed from the front wheels.

Edited by wwest

The Rx400h will have much better fuel economy but your life will be at risk each time you take it out in adverse conditions.

Life will be at risk? Oh please.

that means you and i are really REALLY endandgering ourselves when we drive our COMPLETELY FWD cars in the rain/snow/slush.

LOL. sorry, i just had to say it. :lol:

Many RX400h owners have driven their vehicles on snow and every report I've read has included nothing but praise for the 400's excellent handling. Needless to say, the RX400h is superior to the BMW X3.

And lucky for me that is a VERY RARE event here in the great Pacific Northwest. But at those times I mostly drive the AWD RX300 and compensate for its front torque biasing by using tire chains at the rear.

If I need to go to where the snow is, or likely to be, I have a 1994 AWD Ford Aerostar, also with tire chains on board but only for the rear, as backup.

The only truly FWD we own is the 2003 Prius and my lead hardware engineer has permanent possession of that.

Hello, I want to know the people opinion about this 2 cars (Lexus rx400h or BMW X3). I want to buy it one of them but I don't know how is better.

Wich are your opinion about?

- AWD vs xDrive

- Transmission

- the acceleration

- stabiliy

Thanks at all!

p.d. Sorry about my English

I cannot vouch for the X drive, however my Subaru Leagcy AWD works like a dream in any weather. I lived in VT for 30 years, in the mountains, with 130 in snow average, Oct- May, and temps hovering at -30F (thats 30 below zero) and Subaru knows how to build cars that work in those conditions. Whether climbing up hills or going down, or on tight curves, the AWD system is flawless. Our Vermont roads are littered with BMW's and Mercedes Rear Wheel drive cars smashing into guard rails and mountainsides, because they are not suited for the terrain and conditions.

I assume the 400h AWD would be similar. Take the 400h out for a test drive in terrible weather conditions. Get the feel of what the treaction and driving are like- then you will be in better position to decide one car or another. For my $$$ the 400h beats BMW in every handling aspect, especially in snow and when coming DOWN a hill; the grip is awesome. BMW tends to wander and I needed to compensate to keep the car on the road.

Here in Metro/NoVA, we don't get enough snow/ice to warrant my switching to AWD, and my 2004 ES 330 does a great job of handling as a FWD. I hope that Toyota/Lexus will have a ES 330h in the near future.

Have fun deciding what to get!

alan k in Vienna VA

Welcome aboard. A few things to remember.

1. The EPA mileage estimates are not accurate due to a lot of reasons including the way they test automobiles.

2. Your mpg will be better than any other SUV that weighs over 4000 lbs.

3. Short trips are a mileage killer.

4. Very high or very low temperatures will result in lower mpg.

5. The manner in which you drive, such as maxamizing coasting will increase mpg. Review previous posts to see how.

I previously have owned 2 RX-300s and they were great automobiles, but they did not compare my RX400h. It is an engineering marvel and a fun car to drive.

Enjoy

that means you and i are really REALLY endandgering ourselves when we drive our COMPLETELY FWD cars in the rain/snow/slush.

LOL. sorry, i just had to say it. :lol:

I know, how do we ever survive?

wwest, I understand the theoretical framework from which this opinion of yours about the dangers of FWD or front biased AWD when driving in snowy conditions, but you seriously are a drama queen about this whole thing. Knowing what I do abour precision driving and vehicle dynamics I agree that while FWD helps with intial traction, it is a hinderance when making course changes at speed in the snow. However, a great great majority of FWD vehicles are driven safely every day in the snow all over the world. Somehow, these people stay alive, and get around well enough for there to be a popular conception that FWD cars are superior in the snow, meaning that most people have probably never careened out of control in their FWD vehicle in the snow.

While it may not be ideal, everything is a balance. You're trading the ability to get moving from a stop for some driving dynamics up at speed. While RWD vehicle may be more dynamically sound, that doesn't help anyone if they just slide sideways when trying to accelerate from a stop. I know personally I would prefer to be able to get moving and then be careful with the vehicle once its at speed than I would slide backwards down a slight incline while trying to drive forward.

I think your flair for the dramatic and overly technical response to...everything...has gotten the better of you here.

To say that purchasing an RX400h, or any other vehicle really, and driving it in the snow is taking one's life in their own hands each and every time is ludicrous, ridiculous, and misleading. There have never been any traffic fatalities or injuries that have been blamed on the RX specifically, or any other vehicle having a powertrain that is front biased, as far as I know ever. That makes your point pretty moot.

I'm sure everyone's getting tired of hearing you rattle on and on about this, I know I am.

SWES,

In all honesty if I won the lottery, or had the money, I would fund the developement of a high technology driving simulator so that beginning drivers could experience the dynamics of any and all cars before they go out and risk yours and my lives not knowing the proper reactions in the event they find themselves in dire circumstances.

Why is it that we can afford to teach airline pilots how to perform in otherwise unexpected situations but not teach our own kids even the basic fundamentals.

Not a drama queen, just heartfelt concern.

I agree with you, that there needs to be much more mandated training for new drivers, obviously I agree with that because I sought out training for myself on my own.

That concern is warranted, but to say taking a FWD or front biased AWD vehicle out in adverse conditions is putting your life in your own hands is definately over the top dramatic.

If it takes "over the top dramatic" to get a few FWD owners to be just a bit more cautious when driving in wintertime conditions and that results in the saving of just one life then I can live with that.