Check Engine Light :(

kyle0k

Ok well i just got a remote start installed like 3 weeks ago and about weeks ago my check engine light came on. I took out the battery and put it back on. Everything was fine and about 2 days later it went on again. I did this liek 3 more time.....

I did a search and found that i can also take out the efi fuse...where is that.... and woudl it be any different ?

How woudl i get my codes sin i have an obd2 system,and not the older system????

Hook it up to a scanner. I forget if it was '95, or '96, but the 1mz-fe kept the old test connectors for a couple of years left over from OBD-I. If you have a normal diagnostics port, you can jump TE1 & E1 still & pull a code like the older engines.

Otherwise all you can really do is hook a scanner to DLC3 in the fuse box & pull the codes that way.

Well if u have an OBDII... go to autozone or strauss auto... they should b able to pull those codes for u for free. As for what Toys was talking about... follow this link

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Good luck. U wont know what is causing the trouble code... could b the remote start... or it could b other things malfunctioning.

yup... they will check up on OBDII's for free. But again... u can also do wut Toy's suggested too. If you want... u can buy OBDII scanners urself so u dont have to go to Autozone n ask for them to scan it. But they can go for $75+... so i think u might want to just go to Autozone. Hehehe.

Tom

Ok went to autozone i think the code was 171. The machine just said TOO LEAN. He asked when i last had a tuneup ,and the answer is never obviously:) so he said that should fix it.

I just went and bought some seafoam,put that into my tank(had a half a tank left) and reset my computer. So we will see if the light come up again. Hopefully not. But i think im still gonna go and get my spark plugs changed atleast(for the first time:))

out of curiosity... dont u have to put seafoam then fill up the tank? Is that ok? I know when i put Chevron wit Techron.... i put that stuff in just prior to filling up.

How often do u get vaccum leaks?

U can check out if ur O2 sensors r ok by following the steps here

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/mainoxygensensor.html

I know it's for a LS. But i'm assuming the concept is the same. I dont know wut the ohm readings should b on an ES though. Can n e one confirm if its the same? That it should b reading around 5.1-6.3 ohms at 68 degrees?

Good luck.

Tom B)

out of curiosity... dont u have to put seafoam then fill up the tank? Is that ok? I know when i put Chevron wit Techron.... i put that stuff in just prior to filling up.

How often do u get vaccum leaks?

U can check out if ur O2 sensors r ok by following the steps here

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/mainoxygensensor.html

I know it's for a LS. But i'm assuming the concept is the same. I dont know wut the ohm readings should b on an ES though. Can n e one confirm if its the same? That it should b reading around 5.1-6.3 ohms at 68 degrees?

Good luck.

Tom B)

OK toysrme ill check those out but its been a day and no light so far,keeping my fingers crossed.

but yea i put it in half a tank it doesnt really matter. it says used for 8 to 20 gallons or something liek that,and half a tank is 9 gallons, so its all good.

dam* light came on again today :chairshot:

does it tank more then a tank for seafoam to clean stuff out? but yea im gonan check all the stuff u guys said as soon as i get some time...its not liek detremental that i drive with this probelm though ,right? I mena i can see being to lean a problem if your taking like long ttrips but i usually dont take long drives. usualyly jsut drive locally. Farthest place i drove since its been on was airport 40 minutes away .

Edited by kyle0k

So when u put the seafoam in... did the cell actually come off? Does it come on n off from time to time? If it does... it's probably O2 sensors... cause i remember SKPERFORMANCE mentioning that the O2's need to warm up a bit... n it would come off. But if u read the lexls site i showed u... just check the resistance of it.

As for putting another treatment of seafoam... whether if it requires more... i'm not sure... n i wouldn't know if it would harm the car... perhaps someone can enlighten us on that part.

Good luck. Keep me updated

Tom ;)

The resistance is generally to check the o2 heater circuits.

There are several aspects of o2 sensors that need to be checked. The heater circuit, the actual output of the o2 sensor, the fluctuations of the o2 sensor (responce time), how long it takes to warm the sensor to operating temp. Probably another one, or two, but that's the big ones i can remember offhand.

Im almost positive its not the sensors. Only because i ahvent had any durastic cahgnes in mpg and no my light stays on when it comes on.

im starting to think it might be the fuel filter.MY firned just had to replace his on a similar mileage car for the same error(too lean). And it sounds right for me because i run my car till the last 2 or 3 gallons almost everyitime and thats the "dirty" part of the tank so i can believee the filter got trashed on my car.

Does the car still have the same amount of power?

I would start by disconnecting the tach sensing wire.

It may be hooked up wrong causing the car to not work properly.

Also see if it revs in neutral normally.

Find out how the tach wire is hooked up

coil pack?

injector?

or tach wire?

Im sorry but ive never even hear of the tach senser.........

But yea the power feels fine,when i push the gas tires smoke,lol ok well no but the power is still there.

coil pack,hmm dont know whatr that is.

Injectors,yes i thought about it begin them for the same reason as fuel filter....

Also i have alot of noises from my front tires suspention or something. sounds liek somethings always hitting and rubbing but i look and there enough clearance. But im just guessing my struts are going...Thats not really important right now. I just thought i woudl mention that,

All of the tacho's are driven by the IGF returns signals from the igniter. AFAIK - up until the later coil-on-plug 1mz-fe's - I've not looked at their wiring diagram so I won't comment on them - tho they will be the same thing.

Regardless of which style system Toyota EFI you have, the ECU sends an IGT firing pulse to your igniter, which returns an IGF pulse to let the ECU know that ignition took place & that IGF signal also drives the tachos.

I think SK was talking about that. Like. I guess if the IGF wire was shorting out, the ECU would get confused, which would cause mis-fires.

Coil packs.

Back in the day everything used one ignition coil. Now most engine's have gone to wasted spark ignition (for a v6 that's 3 coils) or coil on plug (6 coils). He wants you to check the coils.

Edited by Toysrme