Best Aftermarket Dvd/navi For Lexus.

If i decide to get the new IS250, money will limit me to some of the options. I really want the DVD/Navi in the car but probably won't be able to afford it until I save more money. I wanted to know some of the aftermarket DVD/navi that people are using in their lexus'. I am trying to keep it around a $1000-1500. Thanks in advance.

I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that I like. Very easy to use and has an internal hard drive that holds all of North America. Sometimes there's a glare on the screen though (needs some kind of a sun shield)

PC Magazine did a review of aftermaket GPS units not too long ago. You might want to check out their website at pcmag.com. If I remember right their layest review liked the Tomtom the best. I think it went for about $800.

If i decide to get the new IS250, money will limit me to some of the options. I really want the DVD/Navi in the car but probably won't be able to afford it until I save more money. I wanted to know some of the aftermarket DVD/navi that people are using in their lexus'. I am trying to keep it around a $1000-1500. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older Magellan Roadmate 500, a CompactFlash based unit, and am very happy with it. It's touchscreen, portable and has been a very reliable unit. The Magellan would be a good choice for a non-indash unit.

I have an older Magellan Roadmate 500, a CompactFlash based unit, and am very happy with it. It's touchscreen, portable and has been a very reliable unit. The Magellan would be a good choice for a non-indash unit.

I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that I use when I travel but I find it takes 5 minutes or so to find the location and when I travel out of state I always have to manually set a location for it to figure out where we are.

Do you guys have this same problem? Do you use the trunk mounted antenna? I just use the unit itself

I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that I use when I travel but I find it takes 5 minutes or so to find the location and when I travel out of state I always have to manually set a location for it to figure out where we are.

Do you guys have this same problem? Do you use the trunk mounted antenna? I just use the unit itself

It can sometimes take a couple of minutes to find it's new location when it has been relocated a significant distance from the location it was turned off at. This is a documented "feature". I've never had to do anything else other than wait a couple minutes, though. You might check with Magellan for a software upgrade for your unit.

• 3 months later...

Just curious about Magellan systems that you mount or something to the dash.

Are there cords running from the machine and how does it get its power

We are interested in getting a nav for the IS250 but are not sure about which way to go, portable or mounted or suction cup

pictures would also be great

thanks

Just curious about Magellan systems that you mount or something to the dash.

Are there cords running from the machine and how does it get its power

We are interested in getting a nav for the IS250 but are not sure about which way to go, portable or mounted or suction cup

pictures would also be great

thanks

If you have $1500 to put toward some aftermarket system, save a bit more and get the Lexus installed Nav.

You'll also get the bluetooth wireless feature as well.

There's gotta be something else you can live without.

Aftermarkets dont compare to automaker installed systems.

JMO ;)

If i had 1000-1500 to use to buy a aftermarket Navi, i would either wait and save a few hundred more or try and make a better deal to get the stock Navi. In my opinion, nothing beats a stock installed Navi.

If i had 1000-1500 to use to buy a aftermarket Navi, i would either wait and save a few hundred more or try and make a better deal to get the stock Navi. In my opinion, nothing beats a stock installed Navi.

Well, all of that sounds good but we already own the car. Can they switch out our standard console for the nav version? Too bad I wasn't there when my wife bought the car maybe I could have convinced her to go with the nav version! But I can't complain having a frugal wife!

Well, all of that sounds good but we already own the car. Can they switch out our standard console for the nav version? Too bad I wasn't there when my wife bought the car maybe I could have convinced her to go with the nav version! But I can't complain having a frugal wife!

I'm sure you can get it done, but the bad thing now is that you may have to pay full retail for the navi plus installation. i heard the Garmin iQue 3600 was pretty good. Its a GPS palm PDA.

My comment was aimed toward Lexdiamonds, who says that he's thinking about buying an IS.

He does not yet own one, so I was just sharing my opinion with him.

Save a little more coin and go with the stock system.

As for your question on swapping out the standard console, Lexus' answer to that question is a firm "No"

The ONLY way to get the Lexus Stock Navy is to purchase the car with it.

As for your question on swapping out the standard console, Lexus' answer to that question is a firm "No"

The ONLY way to get the Lexus Stock Navy is to purchase the car with it.

that's OK, I really like the console just the way it is

if the wife wants nav she will have to have a suction cup like the rest of us

thanks