Going For Window Tinting Next Week

H8R Proof

Would appreciate any advice on the subject!

Thanks everyone...hey and Happy Holidays!

I fthey wont let you watch them do the tint, dont let them do it. ask them how long it takes, if they say less than 2 hrs, then dont let them do it.

ask them if they use a computerized cutting system or if its done by hand, if its not computerized, i wouldnt use them unless they have demonstrated their skills adequately in the past.

window tint is one of those things, if its done quick, its not done well. dont get the $99 dollar job either, cause thats what yu will get. ask them what kind of film they use, if they say anything other than 3M or Llumar, RUN FAR AWAY.

Edited by ArmyofOne

Would appreciate any advice on the subject!

Thanks everyone...hey and Happy Holidays!

I fthey wont let you watch them do the tint, dont let them do it. ask them how long it takes, if they say less than 2 hrs, then dont let them do it.

ask them if they use a computerized cutting system or if its done by hand, if its not computerized, i wouldnt use them unless they have demonstrated their skills adequately in the past.

window tint is one of those things, if its done quick, its not done well. dont get the $99 dollar job either, cause thats what yu will get. ask them what kind of film they use, if they say anything other than 3M or Llumar, RUN FAR AWAY.

LOL ,wow army you scared da hell outta him!!!

certain things to look for.

-3m or Llumar tints

-Lifetime warranty against bubbles or any defects.

-make sure they do the back window as a one-piece.

-The tints are up to the top on the side windows.

-look at the cars they've done.

Price does not reflect quality.

A couple of my boys got their cars done for $100-130 and their tint jobs turned out better than my $150 job.

Just watch them do it and it's better to find a shop recommended by a friend or someone whos had it done than to find any random shops.

good luck

Price does not reflect quality.

I disagree there, for the most part. there are some cases where you find a good deal, but chances are if they only charge 100 bucks, you are greeting cheap film, because Llumar High performance film costs about $600 for a 25 ft roll of 5% (i know lots of people in the business, and even i dont get hookups because of the price of film). a 60 foot roll will tint 3-5 cars depending on their size and amount of windows.

something i will agree on is time. the last job i got done, on my 2 door car took half a day.

the other thing i will disagree on is the 2 piece back window. if done right, it can be done in 2 pieces. mine is, and you cant even tell where the seam is. reason being, some rear windows are too large for a one piece job, my rear window for instance, was 42" tall at its tallest point, the roll was only 36" wide. therfore a 70/30 split was nessecary. (a 70.30 is a split where 70% of te window is one piece and then 30% is the other)

ALSO, (I cant stress this enough) look for a shop that has a BBB (Better Business Beaureu (sp) ) decal on the window.

Edited by ArmyofOne

The posts above mine are good information so im not even going to go into the labor. I will tell you my point of view of things.

In my 05 Lexus ES, i did a 5% limo tint back two windows and rear window. I left the front windows normal as i was scared to tint them (illegal any California to tint front windows). The job looked unfinished since my car was black, has black interior, and has only half the car tinted. Eventually i tinted the front windows 35% and it improved the looks by far :D . 35% tint u can still slightly see through them (unless if u are starting at the driver through an angle) and they look limo tint all around at night time. I got my windows tinted for the price of 200 dollars total. It took the guy about 3.5 hours and allowed me to watch the tinting process. My back window had to get two piece tint since since the defroster marks (you know those block holes) make the tint bubble up faster over-time. They usally put a stronger film on that portion.

You have a 1998 Lexus from wat it says in your profile. Comparing it to my 2000 lexus (same body style as yours) the tinting should cost you from $125-$220 as long as u dont get it from the dealerships. My favoirte tint shade is 14% all around (after i saw it on my friends audi) as they look very dark and u dont lose your vision through the windows to 5% tint.

P.S. i know you probably know this but i was amazed how some people dont know how the tinting shade is factored. Just in case if any body doesnt know this.

50% tint = 50 percent light is passing through the tint

25% tint = 25 percent light is passing the tint (it is darker)

Conclusion: The lower the percentile, the darker the tint is. I believe 5% is the lowest tint which is called "limo tint"

The posts above mine are good information so im not even going to go into the labor. I will tell you my point of view of things.

In my 05 Lexus ES, i did a 5% limo tint back two windows and rear window. I left the front windows normal as i was scared to tint them (illegal any California to tint front windows). The job looked unfinished since my car was black, has black interior, and has only half the car tinted. Eventually i tinted the front windows 35% and it improved the looks by far :D . 35% tint u can still slightly see through them (unless if u are starting at the driver through an angle) and they look limo tint all around at night time. I got my windows tinted for the price of 200 dollars total. It took the guy about 3.5 hours and allowed me to watch the tinting process. My back window had to get two piece tint since since the defroster marks (you know those block holes) make the tint bubble up faster over-time. They usally put a stronger film on that portion.

You have a 1998 Lexus from wat it says in your profile. Comparing it to my 2000 lexus (same body style as yours) the tinting should cost you from $125-$220 as long as u dont get it from the dealerships. My favoirte tint shade is 14% all around (after i saw it on my friends audi) as they look very dark and u dont lose your vision through the windows to 5% tint.

P.S. i know you probably know this but i was amazed how some people dont know how the tinting shade is factored. Just in case if any body doesnt know this.

50% tint = 50 percent light is passing through the tint

25% tint = 25 percent light is passing the tint (it is darker)

Conclusion: The lower the percentile, the darker the tint is. I believe 5% is the lowest tint which is called "limo tint"

close, 2.5% is lowest. but i have seen 2.5% double layered so its 0%. :D

Get a quality 'metalizied' tint that is scratch resistant....2 of the most popular are 3M & Llumar (I have the Llumar myself on my ES...I will post link with pic). B) I got the 20% (medium shade) all around (except the windshield of course). I found the 35% too light & the 5% (limo tint) much too dark for visibility at night. Here is the link...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=20981

:cheers: