Sorry To Have To Ask....how Do You Get To Backup Lights?

Flashjet

It is nice to have a car that lets you know when one of your backup lights are out while in the driver seat. This is a 1997 SC 400. Otherwise how would one know unless someone outside the car saw your light out and told you. But it is another thing to be so frustrated as thinking anyone with an IQ over 100 should be able to change burned out backup lights and not be able to! :censored:

I pulled back the carpet like lining and the plastic cover in the trunk area. I could see a wire coupling. But no way could I figure out how to get to the bulbs. Ok, maybe I have to remove the lens from the outside...no that didn't work. :wacko:

A half hour later I am frustrated and feeling stupid. Throwing away any sense of pride....help! How do you get to the backup light bulbs? :blushing:

After you remove the carpet on the same wall as your taillight assemblies, you need to remove several nuts off of the studs sticking through the body panel. These studs come through the body panel from the taillight assembly. Once you remove the nuts you can wiggle the entire taillight from the outside and remove it.

Be careful, it's easy to scratch your bumper if you are not taking great care in removing this assembly.

Let me know if you need more info.

Tom

After you remove the carpet on the same wall as your taillight assemblies, you need to remove several nuts off of the studs sticking through the body panel. These studs come through the body panel from the taillight assembly. Once you remove the nuts you can wiggle the entire taillight from the outside and remove it.

Be careful, it's easy to scratch your bumper if you are not taking great care in removing this assembly.

Let me know if you need more info.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks so much for your help. It was enough to get the job done. It was a search to find all four studs and remove the nuts, then the lens assembly didn't come off easily. But you set me on track and I was able to do the job which was the specific task at hand. Thanks again for your direction. This form is great! :D

Flashjet