Help!sc400 Won't Start!

Hey guys,

I've had problems with my sc400 since I bought the thing second hand a year ago. In the winter time it goes haywire on me and refuses to start on given occasions. I bought a new battery last winter with 800 cold cranking amps. This winter has been a little better but recently when the weather has gotten a little colder it has been giving me the same problem. When I come across this problem, it's usually at night and i'm able to start it the next morning when the sun is out. Recently I came across the problem again but I figured it's no big deal, i'll just check back in the morning. The next morning it still wouldn't start. The car was working but it just wouldn't turn over. I basically cranked it until the battery was drained and then tried to jump it through my dad's SUV. No luck. I decided to disconnect the battery cable and when I went to go disconnect it, I noticed that the negative battery cable was burning hot. Does anyone have any idea what the cause of that is? I took my one year old Duralast battery to Autozone and when they ran the check, it came up as a bad batt and I got a new one on the spot. I put it in and hoping that was the root of the problem, gave it a shot. It still didn't work and now i'm stumped. I have a sound system in my trunk if that helps any but I don't know if that is connected to the fact that my car's engine won't turn over.....any help or ideas are appreciated!!!

Hey guys,

I've had problems with my sc400 since I bought the thing second hand a year ago. In the winter time it goes haywire on me and refuses to start on given occasions. I bought a new battery last winter with 800 cold cranking amps. This winter has been a little better but recently when the weather has gotten a little colder it has been giving me the same problem. When I come across this problem, it's usually at night and i'm able to start it the next morning when the sun is out. Recently I came across the problem again but I figured it's no big deal, i'll just check back in the morning. The next morning it still wouldn't start. The car was working but it just wouldn't turn over. I basically cranked it until the battery was drained and then tried to jump it through my dad's SUV. No luck. I decided to disconnect the battery cable and when I went to go disconnect it, I noticed that the negative battery cable was burning hot. Does anyone have any idea what the cause of that is? I took my one year old Duralast battery to Autozone and when they ran the check, it came up as a bad batt and I got a new one on the spot. I put it in and hoping that was the root of the problem, gave it a shot. It still didn't work and now i'm stumped. I have a sound system in my trunk if that helps any but I don't know if that is connected to the fact that my car's engine won't turn over.....any help or ideas are appreciated!!!

Are you saying that the engine turns over? But will no start? Does it crank slow or normal? Could have a wire grounding out. Check if the coils are sparking. may be the resistence of the coils or plug wires that are being affected by the cold. And now getting worse with age. Next would be to see if you are getting fuel to the cylinders.

I think u should get rid of ur kickers Plat.... since the previous owners wired it incorrectly. I would also check the grounding of the wires next since the negative terminal gets really hot.

I know the car started up fine the other time... but something is definitely draining ur battery... thats my take on it. But yea... still can't figure out y it's not starting. It's been on my mind for a bit even though u had a partial tuneup.

Is there n e way to check if the coils r bad?

I think u should get rid of ur kickers Plat.... since the previous owners wired it incorrectly. I would also check the grounding of the wires next since the negative terminal gets really hot.

I know the car started up fine the other time... but something is definitely draining ur battery... thats my take on it. But yea... still can't figure out y it's not starting. It's been on my mind for a bit even though u had a partial tuneup.

Is there n e way to check if the coils r bad?

You can pull the coil wire from the cap and hold it\\the metal tip close to a ground. or pull a plug wire and put an old plug in it and see if there is a spark generated while cranking. Use insulated gloves or pliers or you may get shocked. Some auto parts stores may test coils also.

Thanks for the idea guys. Well Plat's car starter sounds strong. It definitely is turning over. Do u think that if it's a bad starter... do u guys think that it would make the negative terminal burning hot? Also.... i noticed the other day when i tried to start his car... as i insert the key... n turn it to ACC or ON position... i heard two clicks... everytime. What is that? I didn't turn the key other than to turn it to the ACC or ON position... i didn't even crank the engine. My LS doesn't do that. Thanks for the help

Tom