Heater Odor In 2004 Es 330

alank22181

Please Help....

My car, with 17,000 miles on it has now begun to fill the cabin with an odor resembling an electrical smell just after the heater comes on. In a few minutes the odor goes away. At no time have I received a signal that something is wrong, and I have the car cleaned on a regular basis to keep it free for debris. I live in Metro DC, and the car is outside in a parking lot.

The only time this ever happens is after the car has chilled for a few hours and I start it up.

Last year, the car was garaged every day and I never had the odor. The type of odor concerns me, but it's intermittent nature makes it hard to bring in to my dealer and ask them to fix-it.

Any ideas or solutions?

PLease email to akousen@yahoo.com

Thanks

Check the vent holes infront of the windshield, you may have leaves and debris falling into the heater core and when you turn it on the motor is struggling to come to speed for the blower.

did you just have your 15,000 mile service at the dealer?

I ask because they would have replaced your cabin filter as part of this service. The new cabin filters from Denso give off the exact odor you describe when the heat or defrost is put on for the first time after the car has sat. You are correct that the smell goes away in a few minutes.

I would not be alarmed. I have gotten used to it.

Now, on the other hand, if you have not had your cabin filter changed, then keep checking. I feel it is still something having to do with this filter.

Try starting the car up with the air recirculater closed and heat and defrost off. See if you still get it.

steviej

The electrical odor isn't right but every thing else you say fits the mold and mildew "dirty gym sock odor" problem many new cars exhibit after about a year.

Go to airsept.com and read up on their EED and see of that fits your symptoms.

The electrical odor isn't right but every thing else you say fits the mold and mildew "dirty gym sock odor" problem many new cars exhibit after about a year.

wwest, the mold and mildew odor comes from old cabin filters and contaminated air ducts. This you and I both know has been covered many times in many threads on many forums.

The electrical type smell present here is something new to the scene. I have noticed it ever since Toyota changed manufacturers of their filters. The odor goes away very quickly has been evident with the cheaper new styled cabin filters. These filters are not as sturdy or heavy as the original filter nor is the charcol material as densely packed as before. This newer filter does give off and "odd" ozone type odor initially upon air flow especially when cold. However, it immediately dissapates.

Oh, ozone.....

I see the newer LS430's have a UV light inside the A/C plenum just upstream from the evaporator core to combat the bacteria that comprise the mold and mildew family. Obviously that would generate an ozone odor as a side effect and maybe the LS430 design has been expanded to other models of the product line.

Edited by wwest

Please Help....

My car, with 17,000 miles on it has now begun to fill the cabin with an odor resembling an electrical smell just after the heater comes on. In a few minutes the odor goes away. At no time have I received a signal that something is wrong, and I have the car cleaned on a regular basis to keep it free for debris. I live in Metro DC, and the car is outside in a parking lot.

The only time this ever happens is after the car has chilled for a few hours and I start it up.

Last year, the car was garaged every day and I never had the odor. The type of odor concerns me, but it's intermittent nature makes it hard to bring in to my dealer and ask them to fix-it.

Any ideas or solutions?

Dec 29, 2005

Update from alank22181

Thanks everyone for your reply's. The odor is definitely like burning insulation and/or overheated wire. As a chemist I know the odor of ozone, etc, and this does not fit. The car was serviced at 15,000 miles and they did replace the filter, BUT since this all happened during the fall, it is entirely possible that leaves have gotten into a place they should not have and thus are "burning" when the electric heater comes on.

Also recent is the trunk switch failure- the button/switch in the cabin no longer will NOT open the latch to the trunk. I can always use the key fob to open the trunk. Are these related electrical problems? Is the wiring harness breaking down somewhere?

I will take the advice of several here and bring it in, and let the service tech inspect the radiator and interior filter, as well as resolve the trunk switch problem.

Thanks

Edited by alank22181

Also recent is the trunk switch failure- the button/switch in the cabin no longer will NOT open the latch to the trunk. I can always use the key fob to open the trunk. Are these related electrical problems? Is the wiring harness breaking down somewhere?

ok, may not be the filter if that is the smell you describe.

But something doesn't make sence, if it was a wire or leaves burning then I would assume the smell would NOT go away. keep looking.

My friend had the smell of burnt popcorn everytime she used the heater. Turned out to be a family of mice took up residence, built a nest and subsequently died in the heater tube. But in her case, the smell was constant.

as for the trunk switch not working.

check the trunk lid main switch in the glove compartment. This button may have been accidentally been pooped out. Open the glove compartment, the button is in the upper left corner facing you. If the button is in, then trunk switch next to the gas fill button will work. If the button in the glove compartment is in the out or extended position, the trunk switch by the gas fill button is inoperative.

steviej

• 3 years later...

:( I also own 2005 ES330 and I've experienced same problem with my heater, and the chemical, burning-wire like smell doen't go away at all. I constantly roll down and up windows to let air changed during extended drive on highways. It's really annoying and makes me worried if it's bad for little ones in the back.

I already changed cabin filter twice to see if it makes difference, but no use. Dealer couldn't find any problem and they just applied some sprays in the vent.

If anyone can give me an idea to fix this problem, I'll appreciate.