Front Suspension Rebuild

Sailor

I need to rebuild the front suspension on my 1994 LS400 with 250K miles on it. What shocks are recommended?

What other parts should I consider replacing during this rebuild? I plan to use the Daizen polyurethane control arm bushings? What else should I replace?

• 1 month later...

I need to rebuild the front suspension on my 1994 LS400 with 250K miles on it. What shocks are recommended?

What other parts should I consider replacing during this rebuild? I plan to use the Daizen polyurethane control arm bushings? What else should I replace?

So...did you rebuild your LS Suspension? I'm in the process of rebuilding my 91 LS front suspension and found the cost of front shocks literally a "SHOCK" at $1,000 each. Did you find the same thing?

Let me know how it went.

Steve

So...did you rebuild your LS Suspension? I'm in the process of rebuilding my 91 LS front suspension and found the cost of front shocks literally a "SHOCK" at $1,000 each. Did you find the same thing?

Let me know how it went.

Steve

You will probably want to do the tierod ends and the lower ball joints as well. I would also recommend doing the the upper shock cushions as well as the strut bar cushions and the steering rack cushions. I would also replace the two notor mounts and the rear motor/transmission mount while your in there. As far as the shocks go you can buy them very reasonably on Ebay..Tokico's for about $250 a set of four. I assume you do not ahve air leveling shocks? There are several sites with good parts for the Ls400. My big three are Parkplace Lexus they have an excellent internet parts ordering system at a bout a 30% discount with free shipping ( go to www.parkplacetexas.com and go to the Lexus page and then the Plano site and look in parts & accessories for the aprts catalog), I also ahve used Olympus (www.forparts) and Irontoad (www.Irontoad.cpm) alsot with good success. You can probably get everything you need frome three sites. I ahve just completed all of theis on my 1992 LS 400 with 175K miles on it. All of this work has been written up extensively in the forums here and it is out there if you look for it. Good luck!

I replaced the air shocks on my 1994 LS 400 with springs that I bought online and I wish I'd paid the extra to get the air shocks. You can buy the 3 good ones from me at EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS400...039757939QQrdZ1

Mention you are a member of this club and I'll give you a 10% discount.

Cheers,

Colin

Sailor - To answer your original question, I would recommend replacing your shocks with the OEM toyota parts, made by KYB for your LS. It seems to provide the most cushion compared to what is available in aftermarket and is quite reasonable from several online Lexus Dealers like Park Place Lexus and Sewell.

Regarding your UCA bushings, Daizen may be a good route because you cannot purchase just the OEM bushings - but I have heard of many complaints that the polyurethane bushings will squeek after a while. The question is did these owners lube them correctly and generously before installation with the supplied lubricant or a polyurethane grease like Sil-Glyde. Also poly bushings will "firm" up the ride over rubber bushings.

Blessed - I wouldn't waste your time with new member Lexus Zaphod's E-Bay shocks (plus he should read the rules about selling on the forum and links to outside sources). If one of his struts failed then the rest cannot be far behind. If you are paying someone labor to install them it is not something you want to do over again soon. If you feel committed to keeping your air ride, you can buy rebuilt air struts with a lifetime warranty from Arnott.com for $450 each. I don't know how many miles are on your '91, but my '91 has over 250k miles and I opted to convert my struts with Arnott's conversion kit. For just over $600 for all 4 struts it was a no-brainer. Arnott claims that these struts were designed with a damping force similar to the air shocks. I have yet to confirm this because many of my other suspension components need replacing.

The issue of keeping your air ride vs. conversion has been visited many times. It really comes down how much you personally value that option on your car. If possible, drive a few LS's with both options and decide for yourself. Financially, keeping the air ride is a losing game - there are height control sensors, actuators, air tubes, compressor, etc. But then again you already won the game because you probably paid $6,000 for a $40,000 vehicle!

Zoso was right-on in recommending that you look at your lower ball joints. I found on my LS that the stabilizer bar bushings ($10 each) and strut bar cushions were dried and cracking. I'll be changing these soon along with OEM lower control arm bushings (less than $40 each) and possibly Daizen UCA bushings. I converted my shocks and just replaced my lower ball joints and the ride is 90% better already. You can find more opinions by searching; I've just repeated what has been discussed many times already. Good luck. :cheers:

Sailor - To answer your original question, I would recommend replacing your shocks with the OEM toyota parts, made by KYB for your LS. It seems to provide the most cushion compared to what is available in aftermarket and is quite reasonable from several online Lexus Dealers like Park Place Lexus and Sewell.

Regarding your UCA bushings, Daizen may be a good route because you cannot purchase just the OEM bushings - but I have heard of many complaints that the polyurethane bushings will squeek after a while. The question is did these owners lube them correctly and generously before installation with the supplied lubricant or a polyurethane grease like Sil-Glyde. Also poly bushings will "firm" up the ride over rubber bushings.

Blessed - I wouldn't waste your time with new member Lexus Zaphod's E-Bay shocks (plus he should read the rules about selling on the forum and links to outside sources). If one of his struts failed then the rest cannot be far behind. If you are paying someone labor to install them it is not something you want to do over again soon. If you feel committed to keeping your air ride, you can buy rebuilt air struts with a lifetime warranty from Arnott.com for $450 each. I don't know how many miles are on your '91, but my '91 has over 250k miles and I opted to convert my struts with Arnott's conversion kit. For just over $600 for all 4 struts it was a no-brainer. Arnott claims that these struts were designed with a damping force similar to the air shocks. I have yet to confirm this because many of my other suspension components need replacing.

The issue of keeping your air ride vs. conversion has been visited many times. It really comes down how much you personally value that option on your car. If possible, drive a few LS's with both options and decide for yourself. Financially, keeping the air ride is a losing game - there are height control sensors, actuators, air tubes, compressor, etc. But then again you already won the game because you probably paid $6,000 for a $40,000 vehicle!

Zoso was right-on in recommending that you look at your lower ball joints. I found on my LS that the stabilizer bar bushings ($10 each) and strut bar cushions were dried and cracking. I'll be changing these soon along with OEM lower control arm bushings (less than $40 each) and possibly Daizen UCA bushings. I converted my shocks and just replaced my lower ball joints and the ride is 90% better already. You can find more opinions by searching; I've just repeated what has been discussed many times already. Good luck.:cheers:

Gum:

Sailor - To answer your original question, I would recommend replacing your shocks with the OEM toyota parts, made by KYB for your LS.

I believe you are suggesting that he go with OEM "standard ride" shocks. A month and a half ago, I posted that I had purchased a set of KYB GR-2's for my '95. Someone replied back that they thought I would find them to be too "stiff".

Well, with some time under my belt, I now agree. If I had it to do over again, I would purchase just the "standard" (not high performance) OEM shocks. The GR-2's aren't bad, but I really would prefer the "softer" ride that the standard shocks have. Also, the Gr-2's are "breaking in" & becoming a bit softer with time (Or, am I just getting used to the firmer ride?).............

Threadcutter - Thanks for clarifying - Yes, it seems that most people are saying the same thing about the GR-2's, and unless someone prefers a stiffer ride, it's best to stick with the OEM struts, also made by KYB. I think some people have assumed that the GR-2's are the exact OEM part, and they are not. Perhaps you have sharper handling and cornering with the tighter replacements?

I prefer the softer ride like you. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for your replacements, as I found prices from places like Irontoad for less than $60 per strut!

Gum:

Sailor - To answer your original question, I would recommend replacing your shocks with the OEM toyota parts, made by KYB for your LS.

I believe you are suggesting that he go with OEM "standard ride" shocks. A month and a half ago, I posted that I had purchased a set of KYB GR-2's for my '95. Someone replied back that they thought I would find them to be too "stiff".

Well, with some time under my belt, I now agree. If I had it to do over again, I would purchase just the "standard" (not high performance) OEM shocks. The GR-2's aren't bad, but I really would prefer the "softer" ride that the standard shocks have. Also, the Gr-2's are "breaking in" & becoming a bit softer with time (Or, am I just getting used to the firmer ride?).............

Threadcutter - Thanks for clarifying - Yes, it seems that most people are saying the same thing about the GR-2's, and unless someone prefers a stiffer ride, it's best to stick with the OEM struts, also made by KYB. I think some people have assumed that the GR-2's are the exact OEM part, and they are not. Perhaps you have sharper handling and cornering with the tighter replacements?

I prefer the softer ride like you. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for your replacements, as I found prices from places like Irontoad for less than $60 per strut!

Gum:

Don't get me wrong, the GR-2's aren't "bad", they're just stiffer than standard. You are correct, the GR-2's are not the exact OEM replacement. Yes, I have sharper handling & cornering, but I miss the softer ride. When I purchased the GR-2's, I think I paid $260 to $270, delivered, which was a pretty good price.

I'll run them for a while & if the stiffer ride bothers me too much, I'll change them out for OEM. It won't so much be a matter of cost, rather the PITA of removal/spring compression/re-installation. I may learn to "love" the GR-2's with all of that in mind.

You clearly have air suspension, or have a case to file with the better business bureu in your state. The stuts aren't but $50-$60 each for a normal set up. But the air suspension cars are 100-200% more. So either you have air suspension, or you are being RIPPED OFF BIG TIME!!!!

Let me know how it went.

Steve