Navigation System

ronsahn

It's my understanding that Lexus puts out an update every fall, not sure how much it costs though. As far as I know you have to go to a Lexus dealer to get the update, no after market software. It might not update the area where you are wanting updated either. I have played around with the NAV on my vehicle and noticed that you can type in addresses in larger cities but it doesn't support addresses in smaller towns. Are you trying to type in an address and not able to get it to come up? If you know where your sister lives you can move the pointer on the screen to where she lives and mark the approximate location. Then use the destination button and mark to get directions there. If you don't know exactly where she lives though this isn't much value. You can always get directions from her and drive there and when you get there mark the location for future use.

Don't feel bad if it takes years to show up.

MS Streets & Trips 2001, well, it doesn't surprise me the street we live on isn't in the database, as it was completed that same year. The Lexus is an '02, still not there. Still not bothersome. Now, S&T 2003 doesn't have it, either. Guess we're 'off the map'.

Sometimes you have to put in the abbreviation rather than the full name of the street that you're looking for. I tried putting in, "Kings Highway" which the road is called but the NAV system didn't recognize it until I changed it to, "Kings Hwy". I also noticed the word "Road". This had to be abbreviated to, "Rd".

There are probably other instances where this happens, but I'm still learning how to use this thing. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that there is long wait if you want the NAV system on a RX330. If you can get it from your dealer than I would grab it and sell the Street Pilot. It's much more convenient than using an aftermarket device. IMHO ;)

• 7 months later...

Sorry that my posting is really not related to how to install the new CD, but...

When my husband first mentioned that he thought we should get the navigation system in our car, I kind of poo poo'ed it saying, "it's a lot of money. We really don't need it..." Well, he convinced me otherwise and we ended up getting the naviation system. OMG... I was SOOO wrong. I LOVE having it now. Get it if you can. It definitely, in my opinion, is worth the money. Even if your particular location is not on the map, we've had great success coming within 100 yards of where we wanted to go.

The only thing we don't like about the navigation system is the fact that it won't let you plug in information if you are moving... understandable since Lexus does not want to be liable for accidents, etc... but it really is inconvenient when you have a passenger who can plug in info, etc. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE my navigation system. :D

Hello everyone,

Brand new members. Picking up our RX 330 this afternoon at Lexus of Watertown just outside Boston. We opted for the nav system. I said all along that it was probably just an overpriced toy for Yuppies to brag about, but then when we were test-driving an ES 330 (before we decided on the SUV), we were totally lost when trying to return the car to the dealer. My wife poked around with the nav and it offered a "find nearest dealer" option and presto! a nice lady's voice started talking ("take next right 1/4 mile"). We got right where we needed to go. Then, at least 3 times since then, when we've been in our other car, I've said to Ann, "I wonder how to get there..." when we were going some place. She always smiled and said, "We would know if we had the nav system." So, we're getting the RX with it (plus DVD, which I think is still another pricey Yuppie toy item). Wish us luck. Can't wait to get the truck!

Dave