Serious About Supercharger

APACHE31405

Hello club members. I havent been in the forum since 2002 the indicator says. Well i was in the military then and have been to iraq, went back to the middle east as a civilian and now back in the states. I was an apache helicopter mech. in the army and i still am on the civilian side of the house. back then i had a 94 ls400, my wife totaled it in march of this year and i purchased a 1995 in may, i just recently puurchased a 1992 sc400 in mint shape. 5000.00 139,000. just changed timing belt, water pump etc. etc.

looking to install a supercharger on it the first of the year. when i am ready to purchase, i will let you members know, show pictures of the install while i am doing it and provide performance gains. i intend on doing all the work myself once i buy the kit from forced air technologies in aussie. thanks for reading and glad to be back in the states with my lexus'

Hello club members. I havent been in the forum since 2002 the indicator says. Well i was in the military then and have been to iraq, went back to the middle east as a civilian and now back in the states. I was an apache helicopter mech. in the army and i still am on the civilian side of the house. back then i had a 94 ls400, my wife totaled it in march of this year and i purchased a 1995  in may, i just recently puurchased a 1992 sc400 in mint shape. 5000.00  139,000.  just changed timing belt, water pump etc. etc.

looking to install a supercharger on it the first of the year. when i am ready to purchase, i will let you members know, show pictures of the install while i am doing it and provide performance gains. i intend on doing all the work myself once i buy the kit from forced air technologies in aussie.  thanks for reading and glad to be back in the states with my lexus'

Welcome back :cheers: Am looking forward to following your SC project.

Check out the Lextreme forum for supercharging that is has everything you need to know. I know they make supercharger setups in Australia like the Eaton Supercharger, but nothing yet in the US. Turbo's yes. If you have skills you can do it yourself, but remember the stock lexus can only handle around 450hp before you need to beef up the engine (forged pistons, rods) and tranny, conversion to the V160 manual, or go with bigger valves in the tranny, supra drive shaft etc.... For a mild psi boost go with the Eaton, for massive hp go with the twin screw whipple. I am running nos on my 1992 sc400 and have done just about every performance mod possible other then the airforced induction. However, I am working on a supercharger setup in the near future myself, but need to address my tranny and engine before I go any further as I pushing the limits now. Good luck.

Check out the Lextreme forum for supercharging that is has everything you need to know.  I know they make supercharger setups in Australia like the Eaton Supercharger, but nothing yet in the US.  Turbo's yes.  If you have skills you can do it yourself, but remember the stock lexus can only handle around 450hp before you need to beef up the engine (forged pistons, rods) and tranny, conversion to the V160 manual, or go with bigger valves in the tranny, supra drive shaft etc....  For a mild psi boost go with the Eaton, for massive hp go with the twin screw whipple.  I am running nos on my 1992 sc400 and have done just about every performance mod possible other then the airforced induction.  However, I am working on a supercharger setup in the near future myself, but need to address my tranny and engine before I go any further as I pushing the limits now.  Good luck.

i dont mean to interrupt, buy out of curiocity what can that V160 handle? and isnt that for the 2jz motor, will a 2j tranny attatch to a 1uz motor? because ive been the market for a 400 for a few months to have as a project car, but i didnt want to be limited to what the transmission can handle

Check out the Lextreme forum for supercharging that is has everything you need to know.  I know they make supercharger setups in Australia like the Eaton Supercharger, but nothing yet in the US.  Turbo's yes.   If you have skills you can do it yourself, but remember the stock lexus can only handle around 450hp before you need to beef up the engine (forged pistons, rods) and tranny, conversion to the V160 manual, or go with bigger valves in the tranny, supra drive shaft etc....   For a mild psi boost go with the Eaton, for massive hp go with the twin screw whipple.   I am running nos on my 1992 sc400 and have done just about every performance mod possible other then the airforced induction.  However, I am working on a supercharger setup in the near future myself, but need to address my tranny and engine before I go any further as I pushing the limits now.  Good luck.

i dont mean to interrupt, buy out of curiocity what can that V160 handle? and isnt that for the 2jz motor, will a 2j tranny attatch to a 1uz motor? because ive been the market for a 400 for a few months to have as a project car, but i didnt want to be limited to what the transmission can handle

The V160 is for 2JZ motor but a bell housing has been made for adaption for about $300. So a transplant is very doable. That tranny can handle 1000hp+ as witnessed in a massive supercharged Supra in Florida, the V160 is a super strong manual tranny.

So how has this been working for you folks? Now on my 3rd coupe and looking to mod the engine. Current 400 has 208K miles on her and have another engine on the way with 43K.

Has anyone built this engine up? I know stock it can handle quite a bit, just wondering if you have any experience with upgrading the top end.

Peter

Nice to find this board, good content!

So how has this been working for you folks? Now on my 3rd coupe and looking to mod the engine. Current 400 has 208K miles on her and have another engine on the way with 43K.

Has anyone built this engine up? I know stock it can handle quite a bit, just wondering if you have any experience with upgrading the top end.

Peter

Nice to find this board, good content!

You want a huge education on building up the sc's check out intellexual.net and lextreme.com forums, that will tell you everything you need to know!!! Those two websites have gave me all the info to build the car to the limits and then some. Have fun!!!!!

Thanks Jibbby. i just e-mailed the guys in australia about the manifold kit and all the stuff that goes with it. i want to use an eaton 90 supercharger on top of the manifold. i think it just looks more factory looking. the terra charger puts out a couple more psi but i leaning toward the eaton. i will keep you posted

THe Eaton M90 is a good choice for superchargers. Many Aussie's have them on their soarer's, and that would have been my choice but I went with the more cost effective means of getting hp's which is nos. The Eatons are nice for the stock engines not too strong, you can safely boost right up to the limits of the engine and tranny which is around 400-450 hp. Have fun....