Hoods

Hey i was wondering if there is any way to find a carbon fiber hood for my 1995 sc300...ive been looking everywhere and find nothing....just dumb honda stuff :lol: if you know please let me know haha. peace

Yeah, it's just that it's black and doesn't match to every car. But yeah front end a bit heavy. Carbon fiber should yield better acceleration better handling better gas mileage better camoflauge to police cars at night.

vertex makes a dry carbon fiber hood which means that it is super light weight probably less than half of the stock hood. it also costs a good 3G`s so if your a high roller thats the way to do it if you have ever seen the VERTEX SOARER that competes in the drift GP in japan well it also has dry carbon doors which must only weigh like nothing :lol:

speedimij - I was not able to locate the hood %7Boption%7D. Think you could link it so we can get a peep? My japanese is really rusty. ;)

jzz30 - CF may break depending on impact force but it is much stronger than metal or fiberglass. It definitely will not shatter. Most times it deflects the impact from the pictures I've seen of CF equipped vehicles that have crashed. We layed up CF components in one of my courses in college for materials testing and the stuff cracked at extreme loads and never shatered. At the worst, it chipped - the broke in two at the most extreme impacts. Most of the time it bends and sends the force through the panel into the mounts and beyond.

translated japanese on babelfish:

The normal 26.6kg -> the carbon 10.4kg (the duct cover to attach) Carbon Kevler make \126.000 yen (about $1060) Carbon make \94,000 yen ($790) / FRP make \78,000 yen ($655)

There's three grades of material they use. Site says OEM hood is 26.6 kg = 59 pounds. 10.4 kg = 23 pounds. That means save 36 pounds. I'm guessing this vented hood would weigh more than oem carbon fiber.

I would think it would weigh less. But with necessary reinforcement do to the structural differences - it may indeed weigh more - but not by much I assure you.

So, shall we try to get a group together on one of these hoods? I may be able to arrange something. We will need to agree on price up front - that is 50% down.

I'm in on the non-vented hood. I plan to paint my hood after I get embarrassed driving with a black hood on a silver spruce. I only have discover and a bank account which I just opened and dont' know how to use.

What about that white convertible SC300 (or 400?) with the scooped hood in the pic gallery. Or is it custom made? Who does that clean car belong to?

That is a JIc or is it a C's car? I think. Someone will have to verify that. :unsure: It is in Japan and has a supercharger. They need the big ol hood.

Two for oem. Anyone else?

... hmm... or is it the Autocoutre? D'oh :blink:

why do we call it hood in english?

mow AWJ- when carbon fiber actually breaks it does become very spiky and in Formula 1 when a car crashes they have to clean the track because the carbon fiber splinters if the track wasnt cleande up enough can puncture the tire resulting in a pit stop and that car loosing. also i have some RC cars with carbon fiber parts and when that breaks it aslo becomes sharp and dangerous :lol:

I was reading a post just like this on another forum and the carbon fiber hood was at importfan.com too. It started in march and someone emailed importfan and they replied back saying the c.f. hood would be done in 2 months. It's been 4 months already and still no sign.