Whining Noise At Start Up Till Warm (not The Wife)

TexLexus

Looks like some pulley in the drive belt is grinding, I don't think it has stopped turning momentarily, but mainly grinding. Alternator? Idler Pulley? Not the crankshaft, since the engine keeps turning.

Anybody heard this before?

I'm thinking on WD40 on each pulley, if not, we'll take it to the Dealership.

Tex

(Not the wife!) :lol:

Tex, sounds like it's in your drive belt somewhere, I'd start with the WD-40 and go from there too. My bet is your idler pulley. Any symptoms making you think alterntor going bad? Dimming lights, dead battery "or draining" etc....? Power steering feel ok? Power steering fluid ok? See any leak stains on the driveway? If no...then I'm betting idler pulley, or Sister-In-Law since it's not your wife. :lol:

edit: Are you running your a/c at start-up? If so, turn it off and see if it stops.

I just checked the power steering fluid and it is bit low, no leaks anywhere though, will go get some p.s. fluid right now and i'll see if it stops., it does seem to come from the right side (from drivers view), alternator runs fine. We'll see if I can fix this with the fluid.

I did this to mine today.. replaced the bearing on the tensioner... price.. $3.84 and 20 mins of work :).

Where is the tensioner? I got big hands and it all seems like a tight fit just to do anything with the belt itself.

I did get some belt dressing this afternoon at NAPA, and will see tomorrow if it does it again, will spray some to the belt.

Thanks for the great advice.

Tex

nc211,

Put in some Belt Dressing and the whining is gone, so you were right, lubricate and the whining will stop. Hell, It may even work with the sister in law!

I got a question though, I think I put in excess Steering fluid, will the system just dump it? Lots of pressure-controlled systems have what is called "pressure relief valve" I really hope this one does too. If not then I just busted a gasket or a hose somewhere in the system, since I saw a leak in the rear engine on the driver side, and it definetly was steering fluid.

Tex

I'm not sure about the pressure relief valve on the steering system, I've never heard of one on this car. Tex, do you have a digital camera? post up some pics of what is leaking and let us take a look. If it's on the driver's side, towards the rear, then it makes me think rack n' pinion related. You should beable to check the fluid level with the measuring stick on the underside of the power steering cap. You can check it hot, or cold. If you're over filled, just get a turkey baster and pull some out.

I have no comment on lubricating your sister-in-law....Hahahaha! Glad the belt dressing worked!

nc211,

Put in some Belt Dressing and the whining is gone, so you were right, lubricate and the whining will stop. Hell, It may even work with the sister in law!

I got a question though, I think I put in excess Steering fluid, will the system just dump it? Lots of pressure-controlled systems have what is called "pressure relief valve" I really hope this one does too. If not then I just busted a gasket or a hose somewhere in the system, since I saw a leak in the rear engine on the driver side, and it definetly was steering fluid.

Tex

Well,

It does look like it dumped the excess, I hope that is the end of the leak

I did also sucked some of the excess too, took it for a test drive and looks like there is no continuous leak, I guess we'll have to see if I broke something or not.

:o I have Stomach hands! :o

Please make sure you check to see if you need a special kind of power steering fluid. My sister messed up her power steering in her Honda buy putting in the wrong kind. I know the coolant has to be a specific kind, I think Toyota red, although that probably has nothing to do with your wife's whining, uh, I'm mean your car.

Please make sure you check to see if you need a special kind of power steering fluid.  My sister messed up her power steering in her Honda buy putting in the wrong kind.  I know the coolant has to be a specific kind, I think Toyota red, although that probably has nothing to do with your wife's whining, uh, I'm mean your car.

Bought it at a Toyota dealership, consulted with my Lexus Dealership (24 miles away from home) via phone and they told me type "t".

Wife is always whining though, seems that some users experience this quite often too... :wacko:

Bought it at a Toyota dealership, consulted with my Lexus Dealership (24 miles away from home) via phone and they told me type "t"....

saying what? dealer recommended you to put toyota Type 'T' ATF in power steering pump?! maybe they are confused too!

90~97 LS4 need Dexron II or III ATF as power steering fluid which is black-n-white stated in owner's manual. however, you never put Dexron ATF in LS4's tranny, and you SHOULD NOT put type 'T' ATF in LS4's power steering.

Thanks for the advice, I have no clue what Type "T" ATF is, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I got Power Steering Fluid at a Toyota Dealership, the Bottle does say:

"Power Steering Fluid"

According to Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, TX, the Parts manager told me to ask for Power Steering Fluid type T, since I couldn't go to the Lexus dealership due to being 25+ miles away I decided to go to a Toyota Dealership, where I can find many things for my Lexus'. Even the parts guy at Toyota rolled his eyes when I had to make the phone call over to Lexus to verify that what I was given was correct. Could Toyota and Lexus have their own jargon?

Also, it stopped leaking! so the system did get rid of the excess, somehow, without blowing up hoses and fittings, etc. Maybe there is indeed some kind of relief valve on this car, cool.

TexLexus, You did fine, PSF "T" is correct!! I hope it solved your problem I Know, because I too stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Was that you in 104 with that blond?:cheers:

I swear that was just the... :unsure: ...Pizza Delivery Gal

The restaurant was too far away!, :whistles:

I was hungry, did you get something to eat too?