Undercoating/sound Proofing On Rx330?

blue_rx330

I have a question for other RX330 owners out there. I noticed while traveling over pavement with gravel that I can hear the sound of the gravel from the rear seat. The sound seems to come from the wheel well in the cargo area. (you need two people to do this, one to drive, one in the back seat to listen)

So I had the opportunity to drive a RX330 loaner car from the dealership the other day and took it out for a test to see if I could hear the same sound. But the new car didn't make the noise...it was nice and Lexus quiet.

Two things I noticed in the left rear wheel-well area:

* The plastic mud shield is very loose. Nothing appeared to be wrong, and all RX330s I checked had the same loose shield.

* My RX330 had some soft undercoating/soundproofing material over most of the wheel well area except for about an inch of metal surrounding the rubber boot where the shocks/springs meets the body.

On the RX330 loaner car, there was soft undercoating/soundproofing material over the entire wheel well area including the area around the rubber boot...so there was no exposed metal in the wheel well.

Has anybody else noticed this noise?

Please take a look at your own RX330 and let me know if you find the undercoating, or lack of undercoating issue.

I looked at mine and noticed that there was a small area right around where the shock mounts that doesn't have the sound proofing. It looks like it has been sprayed on and the dealer should be able to take care of it for you. If they do and it helps, let me know and I'll check into getting mine done.