Radio Problem

mywifezoe

good call, but...

yes, the radio is getting power (the screen comes on, the antenna goes up, etc.) there simply isn't any sound being emitted by the speakers (not even a crackle or pop). i'm guessing the radio's amplifier is fried. i'm frightened to thin k what a dealership would charge. i've actually been looking for a replacement on ebay.

thanks!

good call, but...

yes, the radio is getting power (the screen comes on, the antenna goes up, etc.) there simply isn't any sound being emitted by the speakers (not even a crackle or pop). i'm guessing the radio's amplifier is fried. i'm frightened to thin k what a dealership would charge. i've actually been looking for a replacement on ebay.

thanks!

do you have a aftermarket installed? like a phone kit or something.....

my wife's rx300's radio appears to have died. there is no sound what-so-ever. does anybody know of a solution? ...or does anyone know if i'll be able to replace the factory unit with an aftermarket one?

thanks!

I just did a search of over 1800 yards, (my family owns a salvage yard and were connected via the Internet) to see what is available. Before I got to the price page, I found these options...

CD changer, used w/Pioneer amp

CD changer, used w/Nakamichi amp

amp, Pioneer

amp, Nakamichi (7 spkrs)

receiver, w/o navigation system

receiver, w/navigation system

Just to give you a few examples, here is what I found when I went further.

Pioneer Amp 212 in stock, $75 to $300 dollars. Many at $125 ish.

Nakamichi Amp, 37 in stock $150 to $275 ish (7 Speaker System)

Receiver w/o Nav system 612 in stock. $100 to $300 on average. Some listed at $700

Receiver with Nav system 24 in stock. $350 to $900. Many listed at $450

If you find you need or want any of these items I'll be glad to help you out...

• 1 year later...
good call, but...

thanks!

do you have a aftermarket installed? like a phone kit or something.....

I just experienced the same thing! HELP!

My lexus rx300 plays fine. I was listening to my ipod using a tape deck adapter. When I noticed that I couldn't adjust the volume on the lexus dashboard... only via my ipod. I could adjust both from the ipod and the lexus volume control before.

Then 5 mins later, static, and all sound was gone. I couldn't hear anything via the lexus radio, tape deck, or cd changer even if volume was maxed. But if i max the volume and play my ipod via the tape deck and max the ipod's volume, i could hear soft music coming from the ipod.

Now i can't even mute the volume on the lexus nor adjust the bass, treble, etc.

The dealer says I need to change the entire radio and that the radio is the culprit. And they are charging $650. WTF? for a radio? $475 + tax and $150 for labor.

Email me dragnflyjunk@gmail.com

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I've gone thru the same issue, and it's painful... no sound, everything working ok, antenna, radio presets, cd changer, BUT NO SOUND!!!

Dealers told me that the stereo had to be exchanged (after a $115 diagnosis) and the cost of replacing it would be 650 to 700!

...that is of course if ONLY the stereo was damaged, any other damaged part would need to be replaced also.

After digging around I took the Rx to an electronics guru to see if he could solve the problem.

Good thing is he DID!! for under 80 bucks!!

At his explanation, the thing was this:

The factory Amp (Located hidden under the second row seating) has two outputs, one for bass and the other for voice, those components (like everything in our cars) is linked to the stereo (so that would explain the lack of response when one tries to change the bass and treble settings)

He removed the amp and changed the electronic output for voice component, soldering on the new one in the process, I don't recall the chip number but he said it was fairly common and available in most places.

So before you try anything rash (and expensive) try taking your car to an electronic shop to test the amp, I would say with much certainty that if your car has the same symptoms your problem is the same as mine

So changing the amp voice output solved this for me.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I've gone thru the same issue, and it's painful... no sound, everything working ok, antenna, radio presets, cd changer, BUT NO SOUND!!!

This just happened to me today!

Just like what happened to dragnfly. I was listening to my radio. I went to turn it up when I noticed that I couldn't adjust the volume on the lexus dashboard, either up or down. I shut off the sound system and turned it back on, but all sound had disappeared.

Everything else seems to work perfectly. On the radio, I can change from FM to AM and switch stations. I can see that the changes are occurring on the info screen. On my CD player, discs change, and tracks play, complete with elapsed times. When I put a cassette in the tape moves as usual. But I get no sound at all from any audio source. I can't hear anything via the lexus radio, tape deck, or cd changer even if volume is maxed.

None of the lower sound controls work. I can push the left button to turn the system on and off but turning the volume knob does nothing. I can push the right button to toggle through the sound options like treble and bass, but they all default to zero, and turning the knob does not change them. I can push the mute button but nothing happens and I don't see the little "mute" displayed on the info screen.

I changed both audio fuses, thinking one must have blown. But the fuses looked fine and the system still has no sound. I thought it might be the power amplifier, so hopefully getting that component repaired or replaced will do the trick. I just have to figure out how to get to it.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever figure out where the amp was and how to fix it?

Dealers told me that the stereo had to be exchanged (after a $115 diagnosis) and the cost of replacing it would be 650 to 700!

...that is of course if ONLY the stereo was damaged, any other damaged part would need to be replaced also.

After digging around I took the Rx to an electronics guru to see if he could solve the problem.

Good thing is he DID!! for under 80 bucks!!

At his explanation, the thing was this:

The factory Amp (Located hidden under the second row seating) has two outputs, one for bass and the other for voice, those components (like everything in our cars) is linked to the stereo (so that would explain the lack of response when one tries to change the bass and treble settings)

He removed the amp and changed the electronic output for voice component, soldering on the new one in the process, I don't recall the chip number but he said it was fairly common and available in most places.

So before you try anything rash (and expensive) try taking your car to an electronic shop to test the amp, I would say with much certainty that if your car has the same symptoms your problem is the same as mine

So changing the amp voice output solved this for me.

Hope this helps

great info, wish you had the numbers on those amp chips, think the tech would give them to you or is it on your receipt?

What about the name and contact info of the tech that repaired your amp? This would be a good start. Any help on the location of the amp (in the vehicle) would also be apprecaited.

To Locate the factory amp you have to fold the 2nd row seating and remove the spare tire and components.

Between the spare tire's space and the beggining of the 2 row seats there is a black aluminum casing from side to side (you will have to remove the upholstery and the plastic pins holding it down) It's easier if yor just remove all the 2nd row seat but it can be done without doing so (you just need to bend a little the aluminum casing)

The tech is across the boarder in TJ, but this guy really knows his job. Fortunately I still have his business card!! :lol:

His name is Jose Luis Lopez, he has an established business over 20 years old located at Av. Constitucion No 1841 Zona Centro Tijuana B.C

When I came to him he happened to have the spare component I needed so it just took him like 2 hours to get the job done,

If by any chance he doesn't have it I think he can get it but I don't know how long it would take.

Hope this helps

:cheers:

To Locate the factory amp you have to fold the 2nd row seating and remove the spare tire and components.

Between the spare tire's space and the beggining of the 2 row seats there is a black aluminum casing from side to side (you will have to remove the upholstery and the plastic pins holding it down) It's easier if yor just remove all the 2nd row seat but it can be done without doing so (you just need to bend a little the aluminum casing)

The tech is across the boarder in TJ, but this guy really knows his job. Fortunately I still have his business card!! :lol:

His name is Jose Luis Lopez, he has an established business over 20 years old located at Av. Constitucion No 1841 Zona Centro Tijuana B.C

When I came to him he happened to have the spare component I needed so it just took him like 2 hours to get the job done,

If by any chance he doesn't have it I think he can get it but I don't know how long it would take.

Hope this helps

:cheers:

Oh!!... I dont have the chip No. but once you have the amp on a qualified tech's hands It should be easy to find out which one it is, my guy told me that It was the OUTPUT chip, its big and next to the heat sink (I saw it) he also said it was fairly common (and old for this kind of car :whistles: ) so finding a replacement should not be that complicated, the only thing is that the tech has to dissasemble/assemble the amp, and unsolder/solder the chip.

More than helps.... Thanks for going the extra mile on all the details!

Your detail was perfect...the amp is out and I've located the two chips that butt up to the heat sink. Do you know if it was the one on the left end side or the one further to right just off center?

Also, does the biz card have the phone number for the tech? I'd like to call him to confirm the IC number and if he'll take my board and replace the chip.

Thanks again for all the help!

• 1 month later...

M daughter is now driving my wife's old 1999 RX-300 (with Nakamichi stereo) Does anyone know if it's possible to have an installer put an aftermarket system in the car, presuming he creates a custom faceplate? I mean, under the unique-looking console, is there a good old double din spot in there?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
  • 12 years later...
2 hours ago, Kaleob said:

I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 with the same problem ordered a different amp off the internet but still no sound what could be the problem?? Please anything would be helpful at this point

Well ,,, it's possible that the problem could be in the radio head unit since that is what sends the audio signals to the amplifier.  When I had low volume on a Nakiamichi system in a 2000 LS400 a long time ago, the problem was in the in-dash head unit - fixed by a Florida company.

When a friend had similar low volume in a 1999 LS400, the problem was an old defective phone ECU that was grounding out and muting the audio system.  Uninstalling the phone ECU solved that one.  Does your RX happen to have an old Lexus phone system?

• 2 years later...