Gx 470 Drivetrain Vibration

simi

I have seen several notes on a drivetrain vibration in the GX 470 and would like to post my observations. I purchased a new GX 470 about 3 weeks ago and noted it had a significant drivetrain vibration and noise under power in the 55-65 mph range. Vibration felt most strongly in steering wheel and frequency is way too high for a tire or halfshaft imbalance but not too high for a front propshaft or transfer case problem. Took vehicle to my dealer and learned that this is a known GX 470 problem and learned through my dealer calling a factory rep that there is no fix for this and they don't know when there will be. Needless to say, I am a very unhappy camper as I feel I was sold a vehicle with a significant defect that they knew about but don't know how to fix. Their attitude seems to be fairly cavalier and is unlike previous Lexus experiences (this is my 3rd Lexus). I would suggest that anyone contemplating purchse of a GX 470 take the vehicle and drive it at 60 mph under full throttle a few times to be sure yours does not have this problem. Meanwhile I shall continue to pursue this.

Sorry to here this problem. I'll see if I have the same. But don't feel bad, take e a look at my past posting on July 10, 2003 " GX 470 problems Experienced "

Let me know if you experienced problems like mine. Especially, let me know what you gas mileage is city/hwy.

Ohter members out there, please let us know of your problems experienced.

Thanks

al

Al,

I have not had the problems you mention in your 9-10July note. However, I have not tried to check some of the things you report such as accuracy of the thermometer. My gas mileage (from the dash meter which I checked thru 2 tankfuls the old fashioned way with a calculator and it seems within + or - 1/2mpg) has been showing about 15 around town (small town) and about 18 on the highway. Interestingly, I live at about 3200 ft (that gauge IS accurate checked against an aircraft altimeter) and it is 50 miles to sea level. I get 23 mpg going down the hill and only 15 coming back up!

Different subject. I learned that if you want a real mellow sound (about like the Borla on my GS400) you can actually just remove the muffler and replace it with a straight piece of pipe. Seems the cat converters in conjunction with the resonator at the rear function very well as a muffler. No discernible increase in power, however.

;) Yes the vibration is real from 1700-2200 RPM, it will vibrate in every gear 1-2-3-4-5, In 5 it is around 70MPH and is very annoying. Lexus knows about it and has not done anything to rectify it in the first 6 months, also the outside temp gauge is accurate sometimes and way off others, even whith new sensors installed they have a problem, and milage is not what it should be with 14-15 the norm, i have owned other v-8 lexus and have gotten good milage. The dealership normal reply is Cannot Duplicate Problem. : :o

• 12 years later...

I recently purchased a used 2007 GX 470. It has a lot of steering vibration in the "Comfort" setting. It improves when I put it into the "Sport" setting to the far right on the dial. There is not a Lexus dealership in my area, so I have it right now with a Toyota Dealership.

The Tech working on my truck says he has driven a GX 470 with the TSB-DL 001-08 problem. He says he is positive this is not the same problem. It sure sounds like the same problem.

When I first drove it, I thought replacing the tires would take care of it. I purchased my standard 4wd vehicle tires for it. The shaking immediately improved, but not completely.

We own about 7 4WD trucks, none of them shake like this Lexus--the Luxury Truck.

Does anyone have any other remedies?

• 9 months later...

I bought my 2004 GX 470 2 years ago with 106K miles on it . I noticed that the steering wheel is shaking when I apply the brakes while doing 55-60mph or more but not below that speed . On 50mph or less , I could even stop instantly without the shaking . My mechanic says the upper control arm assembly was bad and needed to be replaced so I bought a pair of them and had it replaced . It cost me $1200. with the labor and test drove it soon as it was done .  Alas , the same problem is still there .  My mechanic is not someone who would rip you off so he promised to work on it for free until he finds the real problem and I offered to pay for the parts that would be needed but to this day ,( and we've both been looking for the problem ) , we still cannot figure this out . If anyone knows the cause of this problem , please let me know . Any help would be appreciated .

Jackson, Your issue sounds pretty simple and common....warped front rotors. If you remove them and have them trued or "turned" to straighten them out, your shaking wheel might go away. If the rotors are too worn, just get new ones and new pads.