High Engine Idle

Maximaboy1

The engine in my 95 SC400 has a high idle (1500 RPM) when it first starts up, usually, after 5-10 seconds or so, it'll drop to less than 1000 RPM, most of the time it'll do that. There's also a strong smell of burning gas coming from the exhaust (more noticable than before). What could have caused this sudden high idle?

The engine in my 95 SC400 has a high idle (1500 RPM) when it first starts up, usually, after 5-10 seconds or so, it'll drop to less than 1000 RPM, most of the time it'll do that. There's also a strong smell of burning gas coming from the exhaust (more noticable than before). What could have caused this sudden high idle?

That is normal. Mine will idle around 1700 until it starts to get warm. Then drops to about 1300 then 900.

Mine doen't idle that high when it starts up but it gives out quite strong smell of gas burning from the exhausts. Hopefully it's not the faulty engine gaskets. emm.. I smell burning money.

I have a 93 sc400 and I have felt like mine is idleing high when it first starts as well. People at work make fun of me because I sit in my car for like 4 minutes before I drive off:)

That is a little high, in addition you should have a steady idle during warm up and while stoping at a red lights or in park, try cleaning out the throttle body or adjusting and or replacing the throttle position sensor (TPS). Not needed but if you are in pursuit of perfection like the lex ad states that is what you should do.

I've noticed that my car does that a lot too if I have anything less than 3/4 a tank of gas in the tank. My ES sits outside so it's always cold on start up, and lately I've had it warm up in the driveway for atleast 5-10 minutes before driving off, and by then if I'm lucky, the temp gauge is 1/3 the way up. Then it warms up much faster once I get driving. Something about the separation of the gas in the tank that makes it run higher at start up and idle, not only because it's set to do that, but because the engine is feeding itself more gas than usual when the gas sits in the tank for an extended period of time.