00 Rx300 - Check Engine And 'trac Off' Lights

trout

My CEL came on and so did the "TRAC OFF" indicator. when the trac off lights up, the switch will not shut it off, its like the switch becomes useless. I can restart it and the trac off lights goes away and the switch works fine, then a few miles later it comes back until i restart. The CEL and the trac off came on at the same time. the CEL remains on all the time.

I disconnected the battery and restarted, the CEL went away but came back on with the trac off light within 10 minutes. The car runs fine and I notice nothing different about it. Any ideas?

its a 2000 rx300 fwd with almost 90k miles. Seems to run great, tranny is a little clunky going from P to R or D when cold but other than that its a good running machine.

Thanks.

Why keep guessing? If you have a CEL indication then the computer has a fault code stored. I would take it to Autozone (or somewhere similar in your area) and have them pull the code for you (for free). Then go from there.

after some reasearch...

Im going to check the hose on the rear of the airfilter box, then disconenct the neg. battery cable for a while. if it returns, i will clean the MAF and see what happens.

others?

If you found out about the hose behind the air filter box I guess you finally got around to doing a search. Don't forget about the gas cap.

Gas cap seems correct. I did not see any lines/hoses off of the back of the airbox. I did take off the (i think) MAF sensor and swabbed it clean with a qtip, it had a small amber colored teardrop shaped sensor.

No luck on the CEL but i changed a taillight bulb and got rid of that indicator.

I also found a small puncture in the washer fluid resevoir that was allowing fluid to leak out causing the low fluid light to come on. I sealed it up and will add some fluid tonight. So if that works, then I got rid of 2 out of 3 warning lights. Im gonna try to make it to an autozone to pull a code.

the rx runs like a champ though, engine is smooth like butter, perfect idle, no surges, pulls strong. almost 90k miles.

Oh...on the MAF- did i clean it correctly or is there more to it?

All i did was remove the 2 screws and pulled it out and ceaned the amber colored end. I did not even disconnect the plug, just pulled it out enough. Do i need to remove it completely? is there more to it than the amber piece?

??

also...while looking around, i noticed thet that entire airbox assembly is not very secure. It easily moves around (the whole thing). Is this the norm?

Oh...on the MAF- did i clean it correctly or is there more to it?

All i did was remove the 2 screws and pulled it out and cleaned the amber colored end. I did not even disconnect the plug, just pulled it out enough. Do i need to remove it completely? is there more to it than the amber piece?

• 2 weeks later...