Door Unlock With Shifting To Park

mfaile

Does anyone know how to program the doors to UNLOCK when shifting to park in a 2004 LS430. The manual says the dealer can do this, didn't know if it was something simple that can be done without a Lexus tech being involved.

Tks!

I don't suppose this is something that could be done on my '99 as well eh? That's one thing I don't like about Japanese cars.

On my T-bird, the doors would unlock as you opened them - no need to press the unlock button. Same thing would happen in my dad's Lincoln - but only for the front doors. No worries about kids falling out in the back seat, but it was before they put child safety locks on back doors.

There are additional CBEST options on the LS430 that are not on the 98-00 LS400. The list has been posted in the past.

I do remember that there is no CBEST option for my 00 LS400 to make the doors lock when the transmission is shifted into drive.

I definitely would not want the doors to automatically unlock when shifting to park - that is a safety/security issue. It is very easy to use the heal of your hand to unlock the a door as you pull the inside door latch. It is a wonderful design.

The 1998/99 LS 400 can be programmed to allow the doors to unlock when shifted into park. My 1998 has this feature. It only takes the dealer about 15 seconds to activate it. I had it done because usually the passenger is pulling on the inside door handle before I can get it unlocked using the button, and I was concerned that something might get broken, maybe even the handle. If I am in a area where I am concerned about safety, which is rare, I just shift to neutral, put on the parking brake, and unlock whichever individual door I need. But if you push the unlock button on the driver's door, all the doors unlock anyway.

Happy Holidays!

The 1998/99 LS 400 can be programmed to allow the doors to unlock when shifted into park.  My 1998 has this feature.  It only takes the dealer about 15 seconds to activate it.  I had it done because usually the passenger is pulling on the inside door handle before I can get it unlocked using the button, and I was concerned that something might get broken, maybe even the handle.  If I am in a area where I am concerned about safety, which is rare, I just shift to neutral, put on the parking brake, and unlock whichever individual door I need.  But if you push the unlock button on the driver's door, all the doors unlock anyway.

Happy Holidays!

Sweet - might have to ask them about it next time I'm there for service or whatever. If I just stopped by, would they do it for no-charge?

My clifford alarm/starter locks the doors on startup and unlocks them on shut down.

The Viper alarm I had on my T-bird some years ago did the same thing - I liked that feature. Won't be getting anything like that put on my LS anytime soon however.. if the car has the feature built in that'd be great.

I have to wonder how many little known or "unadvertised" CBEST options there really are. A 03 SC owner on another forum (ClubLexus) reported that he had a dealer disable his DRL in CBEST -- he said that the dealer did not know this was possible.

The owner of a local Lexus repair shop (a former Lexus dealer service writer) assured me that he could alter settings that are not on the official list of CBEST settings for my 00 LS.

The same goes with the supposed hidden options on the newer Nav systems that allow entering addresses and dialing phone numbers while the car is in motion. I have to wonder if some members on other forums are jerking others around by putting out bogus information. One set of instructions involved a complicated sequence of pressing areas of the Nav screen where no icons were showing.

I just had my 30 days inspection on the IS350 and had the dealer set mine so the doors do not unlock when the tans is put into park. I see this as a safety/anti-carjacking item. However with the IS350. the front doors can be opened just by pulling the inside handles, and not having to push the general unlock button.

The same goes with the supposed hidden options on the newer Nav systems that allow entering addresses and dialing phone numbers while the car is in motion.  I have to wonder if some members on other forums are jerking others around by putting out bogus information.  One set of instructions involved a complicated sequence of pressing areas of the Nav screen where no icons were showing.

Blue06GS in the GS forums posted up a video on how to enable those features. I don't have a car with navigation but it seemed to work on his video, it just had to be redone every time the car was shut off.

Video

MadMax, not sure about your dealer, but I just stopped in mine and they had a mechanic come out to the parking lot and did it for free.

Haven't brought the car to the dealer since I've owned the car.. but I have a feeling they would probably do it for free considering ALL the service & oil changes have been done at this place since the car was originally purchased two owners ago.

I have no idea whether or not this will work in a Lexus, but I'll write down the info and let one of you guys try it.

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. It has four options that can programmed re the automatic door locking and unlocking functions. Programming these functions is detailed in the owner's manual. The 2004 Lexus models might use the same procedures.

From the manual:

"Automatic door locking and unlocking functions:

You can set the following auto door locking and unlocking functions.

a. Locking linked with the shift position.

All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the selector level is moved out of the P position with the ignition switch in the "On" position. This function is the default setting for new vehicles.

b. Unlocking linked with the shift position.

All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the selector level is moved to the P position with the ignition switch in the "On" position.

c. Locking linked with the vehicle speed.

All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the vehicle speed reachs 20 km/hr (12 mph) or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, this auto locking function will not operate until the unlocked door is opened once.

d. Unlocking linked with opening the driver's door.

All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "On" to the "Acc" or "Lock" position.

Setting the functions

1. Close all the side doors and back door.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the "On" position.

3. Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "On" position;

to set function "a"

Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in the "P" position.

to set function "b"

Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in the "P" position.

to set function "c"

Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in any position except "P".

to set function "d"

Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in any position except "P".

All the side doors and back door automatically lock and unlock when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the function is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been too short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting from step 1.

If you want to cancel a function, repeat the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or cancelled."

I followed this procedure to set function "b" in my Sequoia. The critical part is the first 10 second interval and then the 5 second interval. If you hold down the door lock switch for either more or less than 5 seconds, the programming won't work.

To reiterate, I have no idea whether or not this works in Lexus models.

• 4 months later...

I have no idea whether or not this will work in a Lexus, but I'll write down the info and let one of you guys try it.

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. It has four options that can programmed re the automatic door locking and unlocking functions. Programming these functions is detailed in the owner's manual. The 2004 Lexus models might use the same procedures.

From the manual:

"Automatic door locking and unlocking functions:

You can set the following auto door locking and unlocking functions.

a. Locking linked with the shift position.

All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the selector level is moved out of the P position with the ignition switch in the "On" position. This function is the default setting for new vehicles.

b. Unlocking linked with the shift position.

All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the selector level is moved to the P position with the ignition switch in the "On" position.

c. Locking linked with the vehicle speed.

All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the vehicle speed reachs 20 km/hr (12 mph) or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, this auto locking function will not operate until the unlocked door is opened once.

d. Unlocking linked with opening the driver's door.

All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "On" to the "Acc" or "Lock" position.

Setting the functions

1. Close all the side doors and back door.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the "On" position.

3. Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "On" position;

to set function "a"

Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in the "P" position.

to set function "b"

Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in the "P" position.

to set function "c"

Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in any position except "P".

to set function "d"

Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector level in any position except "P".

All the side doors and back door automatically lock and unlock when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the function is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been too short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting from step 1.

If you want to cancel a function, repeat the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or cancelled."

I followed this procedure to set function "b" in my Sequoia. The critical part is the first 10 second interval and then the 5 second interval. If you hold down the door lock switch for either more or less than 5 seconds, the programming won't work.

To reiterate, I have no idea whether or not this works in Lexus models.

Worked perfectly on a Lexus RX350 - just as described.