Towing Hitch Install

gswilder

I spent about 2 hours tonight crawling under my Lexus and reading through these forums regarding an aftermarket hitch install on the GX470.

I have a new 2006 GX470, with KDSS, Navigation, and Mark Levinson. I am wanting to put a Class III type hitch on it.

It looks like there are a couple of aftermarket hitches that may work on the 2006.

Curt Mfg 13445 (I think U-Haul carries the same hitch with a different model)

Draw-Tite 75155

Here is my confusion.......

Under the Lexus, I can see the 3 predrilled frame bolts on each side. Two are close together and look larger like a 12mm bolt. On the driver side a tow hook is attached, which I assume I have to remove.

There is a another hole on the frame on each side about a foot farther back. Looks to be smaller like an 8mm bolte.

So do I just remove the tow hook, and torque down the 4 bolts that come with these 2 hitches?

It looks like only 3 predrilled holes on each side. However, some of the trailer hitch install instructions show 4 holes on each side. Could there be a difference for 2006?

Next issue regarding wiring. I do NOT need brake control, just lights. Most of the aftermarket sites say you have to hardwire. (some suggest a Modulite) However while under the Lexus, I found a couple of wiring connectors back around where the tow hitch would be connected. One was 3 connectors in a gray rubber sleeve. The other was a 5 or 6 connector in a round black type connector. Both were female I believe, and nothing was connected to them. I guess I can get out a voltage meter and check each connector while pressing the brake, turn signals, etc. However, does anyone know if these 2 connectors are prewired? If so, do I just need some kind of adapter? Again, I just have a simple (4 wire) trailer connector.

Sorry for the long post. But after reading through everything here, there seems to be a lot of confusion on the tow hitch on the GX470. I have installed several aftermarket hitches on my other Toyota vehicles. All were pretty simple. However, I don't want to order the wrong parts.

Thanks to all in advance.....

Greg

Looks like the Curt Mfg 13445 will fit on the 06 GX470. Got back under tonight, and there are 4 holes on each side of the frame to attach the receiver hitch to. I also contacted Curt Mfg to confirm.

So still needing help with the electrical. How do I connect the wiring. Most of these I have installed have some kind of converter cable that plugs into the rear light wiring harnesses. As I said earlier, there are 2 connectors by the spare tire on the GX next to where the hitch would go. It really looks like a prewired trailer wiring harness, but how to confirm.

First black connector has 3 male plugs. It is about 1 inch wide and rounded. Could it be a electrical brake connector? The wiring into the plug is Blue, Black, and White/Blue.

Second plug is gray and actually has 4 female connectors. They are arrange 2x2. The connector is about 1" in diameter, although not perfectly round. The wiring into this plug is : Red/Yellow, Yellow, Blue/Red, Blue.

Before I mess something up or drag out the electrical voltmeter, does anyone know if the GX470 is already prewired? If these connectors are not for a trailer, what could they be for?

If I cannot use this, what other options have folks used to do the wiring. Again, I just have a simple 4 pin flat plug for my trailer. (no electrical braking - just 2 lights)

Thanks again

• 2 years later...
Looks like the Curt Mfg 13445 will fit on the 06 GX470. Got back under tonight, and there are 4 holes on each side of the frame to attach the receiver hitch to. I also contacted Curt Mfg to confirm.

So still needing help with the electrical. How do I connect the wiring. Most of these I have installed have some kind of converter cable that plugs into the rear light wiring harnesses. As I said earlier, there are 2 connectors by the spare tire on the GX next to where the hitch would go. It really looks like a prewired trailer wiring harness, but how to confirm.

First black connector has 3 male plugs. It is about 1 inch wide and rounded. Could it be a electrical brake connector? The wiring into the plug is Blue, Black, and White/Blue.

Second plug is gray and actually has 4 female connectors. They are arrange 2x2. The connector is about 1" in diameter, although not perfectly round. The wiring into this plug is : Red/Yellow, Yellow, Blue/Red, Blue.

Before I mess something up or drag out the electrical voltmeter, does anyone know if the GX470 is already prewired? If these connectors are not for a trailer, what could they be for?

If I cannot use this, what other options have folks used to do the wiring. Again, I just have a simple 4 pin flat plug for my trailer. (no electrical braking - just 2 lights)

Thanks again

i purchased a used hitch from a wrecked 2003 4 runner (custom hitch for 75 dollars) and it fit my 2005 gx 470 no problem. nothing needed to be removed or drilled.i believe other years of 4 runner will work.

i purchased a used hitch from a wrecked 2003 4 runner (custom hitch for 75 dollars) and it fit my 2005 gx 470 no problem. nothing needed to be removed or drilled.i believe other years of 4 runner will work.

mbj,

I know the hitch will fit without any problem. My concern is the wire harness. Do you have to do anything with it? My SUV came with the Tow Prep package so there are two wire connections near the spare tire as described earlier in the post by Greg. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am curious about this as well, my 2004 has a square plate underneath the back bumper in front of the spare, I assume this is where I bolt on a hitch that then curves under the back and sticks out to attach whatever I am towing to? I have to look if there is electrical down there too.

Maybe the local Lexus dealer's service dept. could answer this for us?

• 1 month later...

Following up on the last post from Aug'08...

If you are still working on this, I can tell you that about a year ago I purchased a new Draw Tite model: DT-75155 and easily installed on my '05 GX470. It attached on the sides (frame rails) but did not bolt to the middle rear plate. I think I remember having to remove a tow hook to free up a bolt hole. The wiring harness simply plugged right in to the pre-wired GX. It is my understanding (from the dealer) that all GX's are pre-wired for trailer hook-ups.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys -

there is a plug under the driver's side toward the rear wheel that is designed for the factory 7-pin wire harness. The harness is available at Sewell for about $200-$300. To make it work, you'll need a relay for the front and a big green relay installed in the back, under the trim panel, by the drivers side brake light. you can get the front relay at a Toyota dealer for a reasonable price, but I got my rear relay from Sewell. Doing the electrical this way will my your GX trailer wiring pretty much the way it would have come from the factory.

I don't know what the part numbers are, but Sewell faxed me a diagram that had all of the part numbers that I needed, along with their installation locations.

I DO know that the front relay is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=110287852710

• 7 months later...

I'm brand new at this AND just bought an '05 GX. Can someone tell me how to remove the small hitch cover. There are 4 blue tabs behind the bumper. I want to remove the receiver platform that is bolted on the bumper. If I pull out the blue tabs, how do they go back in? I don't want to screw something up getting it apart. Never been on a forum before either. Can you tell? :)

• 3 months later...
I spent about 2 hours tonight crawling under my Lexus and reading through these forums regarding an aftermarket hitch install on the GX470.

I have a new 2006 GX470, with KDSS, Navigation, and Mark Levinson. I am wanting to put a Class III type hitch on it.

It looks like there are a couple of aftermarket hitches that may work on the 2006.

Draw-Tite 75155

Under the Lexus, I can see the 3 predrilled frame bolts on each side. Two are close together and look larger like a 12mm bolt. On the driver side a tow hook is attached, which I assume I have to remove.

There is a another hole on the frame on each side about a foot farther back. Looks to be smaller like an 8mm bolte.

So do I just remove the tow hook, and torque down the 4 bolts that come with these 2 hitches?

It looks like only 3 predrilled holes on each side. However, some of the trailer hitch install instructions show 4 holes on each side. Could there be a difference for 2006?

Next issue regarding wiring. I do NOT need brake control, just lights. Most of the aftermarket sites say you have to hardwire. (some suggest a Modulite) However while under the Lexus, I found a couple of wiring connectors back around where the tow hitch would be connected. One was 3 connectors in a gray rubber sleeve. The other was a 5 or 6 connector in a round black type connector. Both were female I believe, and nothing was connected to them. I guess I can get out a voltage meter and check each connector while pressing the brake, turn signals, etc. However, does anyone know if these 2 connectors are prewired? If so, do I just need some kind of adapter? Again, I just have a simple (4 wire) trailer connector.

Sorry for the long post. But after reading through everything here, there seems to be a lot of confusion on the tow hitch on the GX470. I have installed several aftermarket hitches on my other Toyota vehicles. All were pretty simple. However, I don't want to order the wrong parts.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I did install Curt Mfg 13445 on my Gx 470 yesterday. two issues poped up.

1) The cover for trailer wire connector (First black connector next to the spare wheel, 1 inch wide and rounded) is blocked by the hitch and it cannot be opened unless I remove the connector itself and fix it somewhere else.

2) Lower cover on Rear bumper, right above the hitch receiver cannot be installed back, looks like the top portion of the hitch receiver doesn't give enough room for it to go in back to the original position.

Anyone who used Curt hitch faced this issue ?

• 10 months later...

Another option seems to be a

Step bumper hitch which just bolts on the the U shape behind the spare tire. scroll down to the 3rd item (Acme Universal Hitch.) Won't block the light harness and looks like it comes with spares to drop the hit h down enough to allow the bumper cover to remain in place. I am going to give it a try and will post my thoughts after install on 2006 GX.

Found the same hitch on Amazon for $29.98 with shipping. Ordered it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Acme Universal Class III Hitch

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed a trailer hitch on my 2003 GX 470 and need to hook up the lights. The plugs are on the frame but have no power to the when the vehicle light are on. Is there a relay that I need to install?

Actually, there are a total of 3 relays that you have to install: 2 under the hood and 1 by the rear driver's side tail light.

My '03 GX was totaled this year, and I have all 3 relays, but not the wiring harness. I am selling the relays for less than I payed for them [they were pretty pricey for all 3), if you are interested. Etrailer has a factory replacement harness that works well. They list it for 2004, but if I remember correctly, GX 470 trailer harness is the same for all model years (please verify this with your dealer).

I spent a long time under my GX with a voltmeter, only to find-out that you need all 3 relays to get ANY kind of trailer lighting with an '03 GX.

I hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Another option seems to be a

Step bumper hitch which just bolts on the the U shape behind the spare tire. scroll down to the 3rd item (Acme Universal Hitch.) Won't block the light harness and looks like it comes with spares to drop the hit h down enough to allow the bumper cover to remain in place. I am going to give it a try and will post my thoughts after install on 2006 GX.

Found the same hitch on Amazon for $29.98 with shipping. Ordered it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Acme Universal Class III Hitch

So how did this work? I'm about to order the step hitch for a 2008 GX 470.

Im curious to know if the ACME small hitch works well. I just got an 06 GX470 and need to install a hitch ASAP. Is the ACME just a durable as a full size hitch?

It appears that none of the "universal" hitches- ACME or Reese will work. I found the Reese at a local auto parts store and the holes do no line up. And see the diagram for the ACME - they do no line up either. The holes on the GX 470 are 4" side to side and 2 1/2" front to back and have nuts attached to top of bracket. So it looks like a full size hitch and moving the wiring hook up is the only option. The Lexus dealer wants $575 and a local hitch store wants $300 ($235 parts and $65 labor). I could do the install myself except moving the existing wiring harness is more than I want to deal with.

I can't seem to get the diagram for the ACME hitch to show up, but the holes are shown as 6"side to side and 2" & 3" front to back.

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

I am new in this forum.I got my GX new back on 2003 and just installed a hitch for towing my new boat,just find out that I am having same problem like all of you did : " No power to the connectors under car ! " would anyone can share your experience teach me how to fix this problem ? thank you in advance !

• 2 months later...

I have a question on the trailer light. I have a 2003 GX470 and install a relay for the trailer in the front next to the fuse box. Now my 4 pins connector in the back have voltage when the headlight is on, but the signals and brake lights still did not work. Some one said that I need a green relay (relay converter), but I don't know where is this relay is locate. Can some one tell me where and how to get to it (step by step please). The relay part number is 8198560020 or 8198560021. Thanks in advance.

Draw-Tite 75155

Greg

You need to buy the adaptor from E-trailer part number HM43374, check the picture to make sure it will fit your connector at the spare tire. Next, you will need these two relays 90987-02025 and 81985-60021 for the laight to work. The first one you can buy from Denso product part number DEN567-0003, the other one you will need to buy from lexus. the first one is installed in thr front fuse box, the second one install in the back next to the back light on the driver side.