Drivetrain Thump

commerce101

our GX470 is 4 mo. old, 2600 miles. About 1-2 seconds after coming to a stop at a light we can feel and hear a "thunk" in the drivetrain- feels like a loose U joint or as if someone tapped you in the rear with their vehicle. Louder/stronger sensation with sudden or firm stops. Service Mgr. described phenomenon accurately, says it happens in his GX and it's normal. We find this strange- neither our LX450 or LX470 had this problem. Anyone else have this? Suggestions? Thanks.

:huh: Anoher one of the bonuses you did not have to pay for. They all seem to do this and have had driveshafts relaced ect with no improvment. Lexus also knows about this problem, I suspect that is part of why they went to Knentic suspention for 04 it may or may not eliminate this problem. First time I experianced this I thought someone hit me hard in the rear lol. B)

• 3 months later...

I have a GX 470, it now has 10,000 miles on it. ( I was so dissapointed with the ride, after the 1st couple of weeks I let my

daughter drive it & she road & road, but what 17 year old wouldn't). I went back to the dealer, & complained about the

rear supension, it was overly flat, they did nothing. I callled lexus of North America & they instructed the dealer to replace my brigstone tires with michelin. They did, & it helped a little. But the ride is still horrible!!! I'm in the Real Estate business, but I will

not take clients out in this SUV, I use my Mercedes sedan. I went on line looking for solutions about the supension, I saw these articles

about the thump, Damn I thought I had a LEAMON! I deal with that same thump, its scary. This is my 4th Lexus, & probably my last one, this is a $34,000.00 not the $53,000.00 it cost! I'll take $44,900. It's silver, w/ tan, nav, & 3rd seat! And it has Michelin tires!!

I have it too and no it is NOT normal and is a defect and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have had mine worked on twice now and it was fine for about 2 days then came back. Dealer is in the process of replacing both drive shafts as a third attempt to fix this issue.

If not fixed by 4th time, then lemon law time.

NOT acceptable on a $53K Luxury vehicle. Normally Lexus is great but the GX has been a cluster f*ck since it came out. 3 recalls, outside temp. gauge issues, vibration issues, driveline thumping issues, A/C issues, etc

The simple fact is that the GX was released at least a year too early. Lexus did not do the proper R&D before releasing to the public, now we are the ginny pigs.

Then to make matters worse, they release the 04' without fixing the issues.

The GX is the first unrealiable Lexus and it really sucks for us first time Lexus owners who have heard nothing but praise about the quality of Lexus.

I think if I do lemon law this thing, I will look at the VW Touareg