Power Steering Super Leak 1991 Ls400

Toneonly

1991 ls400 My power steering started leaking and at first it needed refilled ohhh once every couple days or so.. Well as soon as it got cold around here now i refill it every day...sometimes TWICE in a day!!... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tone, it's been a really long time since I've been in the forums, but if I remember correctly, the power steering pump is a common problem on those 1st gen ls's. I had to replace mine a couple years back on my 94. I don't think there's any quick fixes, but it is really important to replace the pump asap because it is positioned right above the alternator and the leaking fluid will kill your alternator quickly. You might not notice at first, but it'll go soon if you let the ps pump keep leaking.

1991 ls400 My power steering started leaking and at first it needed refilled ohhh once every couple days or so.. Well as soon as it got cold around here now i refill it every day...sometimes TWICE in a day!!... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the leak is gushing as you say, then you are out of time. Get it to a competent mechanic and fix whatever it is. From everyone I've talked to about this issue, this is a common problem on these cars. In fact, Maval, who is the official supplier of rebuilt racks to the dealerships, says that this is the only car that they recommend that you replace all PS components once a leak develops. Apparently the heat of these engines is quite high, and that creates contaminates that circulate through the PS system. A PS pump leak eventually becomes a rack leak or a hose leak, etc. I have had three other power steering pumps put in, all without touching other PS components, and sure enough, the PS system developed a hose leak first, then later a rack leak. They seem to go hand in hand. Maval claims to make seals in their racks and pumps that will withstand the heat of these engines, btw. I can only go by what they told me; I have no stats to back it up.

Where is the leak? Pump, High pressure hose, Rack? Take a looksee!!!

i had a leak in my psp return hose; not to large, ended up killing my alternator though :angry: but at any rate i bought some lucas stop leak ps fluid and haven't add a drop since( just to note i also used a lot of the valvoine ps fluid with stop leak)

Not real sure where the leak is coming from...wish i knew. I'll guess i'll start with a flush and clean and go with the lucas...i like that idea...hope that does it....

ANOTHER NOTE.... AS OF TODAY NOW THE FLUID IS NOT LOW AND IT STILL WHINES.....THING IS THE STEERING IS NOT STIFF JUST LOUD. THE FLUID IS NOT LOW BUT BUBBLY LOOKING.???

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

I have a '91 too. The power steering system has three problems that crop up after 10 -15 years or so:

1. The rubber sealing O-rings inside the PS pump get brittle and leak. Thus the old pump needs to be removed for resealing using a $30 Toyota reseal kit or a new pump must be purchased. The pump itself does not wear out unless run low on fluid. On ebay you can occassionally find LS400 pumps that are brand new ($200-$275) or have been resealed by Toyota Mastertechs working on the side ($100-125).

Some owners who have purchased rebuilt PS pumps at Autozone have been satisfied while other have had catastrophic failures without warning that left them stranded

because a pump that locks up can also cause the serpentine drive belt that drives the alternator and fan to break.

2. The idle up valve attached to the PS pump (also called the air control valve)

needs replacement every 10-15 years or else power steering fluid will leak into the engine exhaust system.

3. On the steering rack there is a solenoid and inside this solenoid is a filter screen that must be kept clean to prevent excessive fluid pressure buildups which in turn contribute to hose and seal failures elsewhere in the system. Replacing the components mentioned above without also cleaning the solenoid screen can lead to repeat failures.

All your leaks could dissappear after the three items above are taken care of so

don't replace the expensive hoses in the system except as a last resort since they are probably still good.

Bear in mind your alternator could fail at any moment leaving you stranded because it has likely become soaked with power steering fluid.